ADVERTISEMENT

The Sad Truth

Calhoun_for_President

Jul 18, 2004
I can walk down to the local YMCA and pick 12 random guys, they would have as good of a chance to make the NCAA Tournament as UCONN does.

You will be hard pressed to find a team in 2017-2018 that is so inept shooting the ball.
At halftime they interviewed the coach and asked them what they needed to do to pull off an improbable comeback win over SBU. The coach spoke of nothing but defense.
At that time they were shooting 32% and holding the vaunted Sea Wolves attack to 37%.
No mention of offense or how pathetic they are at it.
This pretty much sums up the philosophy of Kevin Ollie and UCONN basketball.

They were simply unable to overcome Stony Brook at home with their full complement of players.
They trailed the entire game.

There are no more excuses.
The coach has brought in no talent.
The players are unskilled. Guards cannot shot, big men cannot play in the post or rebound.
The building is half empty and dead.
This program is dead.

The sad fact is UCONN would not win the America East.

Please fire the incompetent Kevin Ollie

There is no way they should score 60 on us. Defense and rebounding have to be constant.

All feet n hard fought game much more work to b done to b a good team progress made 2 wins

The team looks awful again. I suppose they can make the NIT, which hopefully is not viewed as progress by the administration.
At the end of games we are rolling with grad transfers from Fordham and Cornell.
Things are looking bleak a week away from the Phil Knight Invitational

Look last year they lost these games and now because we win by not enough or may look great we will be horrible. We are almost a brand new team that has found a way to win. Step back and let the season unfold you may be surprised at what happens.

The team looks awful again. I suppose they can make the NIT, which hopefully is not viewed as progress by the administration.
At the end of games we are rolling with grad transfers from Fordham and Cornell.
Things are looking bleak a week away from the Phil Knight Invitational

Will you stop posting here if UConn makes the ncaa tournament?

So now making the tournament is the definition of success?

Wow

I'll tell you what CfP, every time I think you're exaggerating someone comes along and backs your point

The alarming thing about this as well is that it does not look that many plays are being ran for the offense. If one or two do not seem to work, everyone is standing around on the perimeter and waiting for something to happen. This obviously leads to bad shots and creates no flow for anyone to get in a rhythm. It is on the players to hit shots but it's also on the coaching staff to have the players be put in positions to succeed. If it wasn't for Jalen turning it on in the second half we would've lost easily. It is still a work in progress and a lot of inexperience with the overall team playing together for a long time, but from what we have seen so far is not promising. Let's just hope they can get it together soon because when they fly out to Oregon for the PK80 tournament, it will give an early indication of what this team is really made of.

Last years dumpster fire made cynics of a lot of you. I like the pieces so far, now will they come together?

Therefore Ollie, the GM, did an excellent job with this team. Now the jury is out on if he can coach them and make them a cohesive mentally tough group.

Let’s not forget that Ollie the GM was responsible for causing the dumpster fire the team is currently trying to recover from, so I have a hard time giving him too much credit for the team being marginally better than last year. If this was happening in a vacuum, Ollie could be forgiven for having some growing pains with this team, since there are so many new players who haven’t played together. However, there’s only one person ultimately responsible for the turnover on this team.

Reactions: the Blades
KO is responsible for last season’s dumpster fire but let’s not pretend other programs don’t have the same issues. Has anyone been following the turnover at St. John’s recently, which also resulted in UConn getting Sid Wilson? Ollie seems to have rebounded well from the debacle and put together a deep team with some good pieces. Now it’s up to him to coach these kids up. Let’s see what happens - I agree with Canolee

Just mentioning STJ in a response makes the point of how this is not going the direction it should...........

Tell me Duke, NC, UK, Kansas, etc....have this problem of kids leaving and HORRIBLE offense strategies and I'll listen.

I love UCONN and WANT to continue to love Ollie but this doesnt look great for us. I like Polly, AG, Adams but see a sub .500 season more likely than a NIT team at this point but WANT to be wrong SO BAD.

If somehow TL gets going and he and Adams learn how to share the ball with each other it has a chance of being a good team......I just dont have a lot of faith in Ollie's coaching right now. Need to see something to get me off this doubt I have in him and eeeeeeeeeeking out wins over Stony Brook arent motivational.

I don't see Kevin losing his job mid season because he took steps to ensure nobody on the bench was capable of running a practice unsupervised.

Dave Benedict could work out a deal in advance with Calhoun to interim coach the team and then fire KO. Calhoun is still on UConn payroll and his contract could be adjusted. His thirst to coach again would be quenched. I bet Calhoun could whip these guys into shape and get them to defend.

Dave Benedict could work out a deal in advance with Calhoun to interim coach the team and then fire KO. Calhoun is still on UConn payroll and his contract could be adjusted. His thirst to coach again would be quenched. I bet Calhoun could whip these guys into shape and get them to defend.

Bringing Calhoun back would be awesome. After yesterdays beatdown I'm wondering if it would be easier to handle the season by just not knowing the score to anymore of their games.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
JC is under contact with St Joe's, right?

I don't think that's an option

Guys who are under contract get hired all the time, that is why most contracts have buyout and escape clauses. They would figure something out to make all sides happy. I would certainly explore the possibility with Calhoun. Benedict has his phone number, right? So pick up the phone and make a call. Calhoun is still a consultant and can be consulted on possibility of KO being replaced by him.

Also...regarding a point I made over the summer, KO used to have 2 former head coaches with plenty of experienced, hand picked by Calhoun, who could easily take over on the fly sitting on his bench. Not so much anymore. You know a reason Bob Diaco got fired ? He refused to hire an OC (former Minnesota HC Jerry Kill) with more experience than him when AD Dave Benedict offered him help with his staff. Kill got a job at Rutgers. Diaco just got fired this week for the second time in 2 years. Regarding JC it's not like our AD hasn't hired a former Uconn coach back before.... and isn't Jimmy still on contract ?

Jim Calhoun is still under contract as a consultant and can be contacted and consulted about replacing the head coach. As part of Calhoun’s consulting duties he can advise Benedict to fire the head coach and offer himself as an experienced and qualified replacement. Indeed he is more experienced and more qualified to return than Randy Edsall was.

ADVERTISEMENT