ADVERTISEMENT

The Civil Conflict game ????

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
As we've seen HC Bob Diaco can say some weird things from time to time, but now he has gone out and done something weird ? Personally I don't get a thing about it, but no one can say Diaco doesn't have a mind of his own....so he presents:

THE Trophy game that isn't... as reported by SNY.TV:
" UConn and UCF’s athletic departments have had no discussions about making the game a rivalry game. UCF responded to a request for comment on Monday denying being a part of the game. UConn hasn’t approached UCF’s athletic department about an official rivalry game.The game also isn’t sanctioned by UConn’s communications or marketing departments."

And how this all started with HCBD and his quotes: UConn calls to start new rivalry against UCF

CGb_HNRWgAAMiEj.jpg

Last edited:
Looking forward to your return to Orlando to play in above 40 degree weather. Safe travels.

C2FoljF.jpg
[/IMG]
C2FoljF.jpg

Yeah, I'm sure the weather bothered the sunshine boys. But I'm actually looking forward to the day Diaco turns around the trainwreck that the old goat Paul Pasqualoni left him with. ( Just like PP did at Syracuse when he ran their program into the ground). It got our last AD fired after PP took over a program that made it bowling 4 strait years including the Fiesta bowl for a team that had only been FBS for about 10 years.

Then Diaco, can worry about imaginary rivalry games. As I said above with Uconn having no history whatsoever with UCF, it'll never make sense, so he might want to understand the Uconn fanbase better too while he's at it. Syracuse (who's back on our schedule) or Rutgers..I'd get.. and don't you guys already have USF to hate ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Vike Knight
Thanks for being good natured. UCONN won fair and square last year. There are no excuses, well none that mean a thing.

Good luck with your coach and team. Does UCF hate USF, many older alums do, after USF stopped playing UCF, it kind of died off to a large degree. Plus they have been struggling as well, so it is not a great incubator for a great rivalry.

Good luck!

Reactions: UconNell
Good luck to UCF too..if you guys get the hoops( I know FB drives the bus) going and we get FB back on track maybe we can both get a bump up in conference realignment..
I was pushing for UCF on this board 4-5 years ago as a Big East addition at the same time TCU was added when it was still a BCS conference and it had a chance.
But the catholic hoops only AD's always did everything the could to minimize the FB playing schools voting power while they destroyed the thing and the rest is history.
Anyway not many Husky fans think Diaco has a clue with his latest idea and you can click this if you want a few laughs: The Civil Conflict!
But
with a mascot like this it can't be all bad:

ucf-quarterback-girlfriend-bikini-pics-14.jpg

Learn to read before you post....Diaco's joke of an idea and your post is the only thing in this thread that's pathetic !

Learn to read before you post....Diaco's joke of an idea and your post is the only thing in this thread that's pathetic !

Thanks genius. I read the article on SB Nation. I know it was his idea, but unfortunately it's a reflection on the entire fan base. Bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaahahaha.

Look dunce....It's already been discussed above with a rational UCF fan, so your'e not breaking any new ground here with you're childish name calling....if you need to join a Uconn site to talk trash..... these guys would love to have you.... but nobody's disagreeing so wake the f#ck up or go join em': Boneyard - The Civil Conflict!

Last edited:
Your coach has gone out if his way to compliment UCF and GOL, so I think the trophy idea is a way of focusing his teams efforts. He seems to be a classy person, I am sure you would like him to be a winning classy person. I hope he will be, except minus the winning thing vs. UCF!

Footnote1...Thanks for your classy comments...here's the audio of his UCF postgame :
http://the-boneyard.com/blog/the-civil-conflict-diaco-audio-uconnucf-rivalry-in-the-making/

That he went out and bought this trophy on his own and "that it was not even sanctioned by UConn’s communications or marketing departments."
has the entire fanbase shaking our heads, but's he young and he loves to talk alot but in a respectful way ...we heard this about him when he was at
Notre Dame so hopefully figures things out on the field before he misses with an idea like this again.

Last edited:
Yep, they were on the radio today in Orlando, on the show hosted by the voice of UCF, and the UCF Rivals Publisher. I use the net to listen each day from SW Florida, since I don't live near Orlando.

Funny, someone last year asked the USF HC if he wanted his program to immulate UCF. He had a two word answer, "Hell No".

You should come down for the game. Great weather, nice setting, Sun everywhere. Cheap flights to Orlando. Be well, good luck this year.

Look dunce....It's already been discussed above with a rational UCF fan, so your'e not breaking any new ground here with you're childish name calling....if you need to join
a Uconn site to talk trash..... these guys would love to have you.... but nobody's disagreeing so wake the f#ck up or go join em': Boneyard - The Civil Conflict!

So you tell me that I can't read, but I'm childish for calling you a genius in response?

Look guy, I don't think UCF will even acknowledge this trophy game because they actually have some pride and a good program.

You guys embarrassed yourselves enough last year with your record, but this is even worse bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah........Yes, the states of FL and CT have a deep routed dislike for each other which stems from the Civil War..bahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.....I'm crying

S
Look guy, I don't think UCF will even acknowledge this trophy game because they actually have some pride and a good program.

Even Uconn's C & M Dept.'s didn't acknowledge Diaco's bad idea, so pay attention.... meaning it sounds like no one was on board with it,
including the fans from what I've read. So why don't you join Diaco's twitter account and you can piss away to him with your opinion and your imaginary
" you guys are this ... you guys did that " ........blah blah blah ! ...then you can stop wasting bandwidth & trolling to pick a fight when there isn't one....

Last edited:
I really don't mind it. It's like walking into the proverbial room of the conference, pointing at the biggest guy in the room, and telling him you're gonna beat the shit out of him. Who cares. If they lost against last year's UConn team in ugly conditions, well guess what, that'll happen every two years when they visit Storrs in November/December. Imagine how much we can beat them by with a much better team.

I really don't mind it. It's like walking into the proverbial room of the conference, pointing at the biggest guy in the room, and telling him you're gonna beat the shit out of him. Who cares. If they lost against last year's UConn team in ugly conditions, well guess what, that'll happen every two years when they visit Storrs in November/December. Imagine how much we can beat them by with a much better team.

But rivalries happen for a reason, you can't force them like Diaco wants to.....they happen because of history, geography, heated battles over time etc. like the decades of competition that we've seen vs. Cuse, Pitt, Rutgers or even BC that we still play in other sports such as hockey.. If he wants to put a series/rivalry like that together it makes sense....to me reading Uconn fans comments on TOS tells me he's just a new jack who walked into CT that is totally out of touch with the fan base.....it's kind of the thing of get your team together first. We know he cleaned house and by that and attrition he was down to about 60 scholly players last year and wants to start all over...."OK Bob you've lowered the bar"....so the only place you can go is up...but seriously he needs to STFU and focus on turning his FB team around.

And act like you've been there before. This program was just in a Fiesta bowl 3 seasons B4 he got here. They beat teams like Notre Dame, Baylor with RG3 twice. South Carolina in another bowl game, had a winning records vs. some BE teams that got tickets into the P-5 besides winning 2 BE championships in the first 8 years as a D-1A . Now he wants us to act like he's starting this up coming out of the Yankee conference with some new imaginary rivalries. He reminds me of these fanbases that rush the court when they beat a top 10 team in hoops.....it's almost like Warde needs to tell him : earth to Bob Diaco... this is Uconn...we never rush the court up in Storrs...we win championships instead !

Last edited:
Here's an article I found from the columnist and Boston College grad who follows Uconn for the NL Day:

Link : Diaco really dropped the football on this one

" Too many people at UConn work too damn hard to fortify its reputation to have a second-year football coach with a 2-10 record turn the place into a punching bag. Bob Diaco’s job is to win football games. Soon. Very soon. Leave marketing, public relations, rivalries and tweets to others whose job descriptions and resumes suggest they are better qualified. Several sources at UConn said Wednesday that nobody else in the athletic department had any idea this tweet was forthcoming."

"I have deep respect for Warde Manuel, UConn’s athletic director. Kevin Ollie and Mike Cavanaugh were home runs. But it is not unfair to suggest that Diaco better prove himself soon, lest we conclude Manuel’s most important hire was a disaster. One more thing: This whole contrivance of a rivalry game further underscores the need to schedule a game with Boston College, which is really UConn’s only true football rival. I know. Been here a million times."

" BC drew a lively crowd for its upset of Southern Cal last September. It has a loyal student section. But Alumni Stadium was about 4,000 short of a sellout. If you can’t fill your stadium on a Saturday night with a brand name, you have issues. Anybody want to argue that UConn at BC wouldn’t fill the place, not only with butts in the seats but with good, healthy sporting vitriol ?"

Last edited:
Dez at the Hartford Courant did a little research on a possible "real rivalry game" that Dimauro from the Day mentioned:

BC's coach Addazio and the 2 schools AD's, who are good friends, are all on board....Uconn still plays BC in baseball, played them last year in hoops and obviously they are now conference rivals in Hockey East ( an over capacity 8,100 person XL Center sellout)...but only got to play them a couple times as a full fledge D-1A team and then it was over...seems to me they should get it done despite the past hurts over the Big East CR phase one....both schools could use a little healthy local hatred, the extra ass's in seats and the money:
link- UConn Vs. BC In Football? Both Sides Would Like To See It

"I think it would be great if we played UConn," Addazio said. "I believe in regional games. If we get a couple of nonconference games, it would be great to play them because I think it's good for New England. I'm a New England guy. I'm a Connecticut guy, and I'm proud of it, and I want the best for it."

"Warde Manuel and I are really good friends," (BC AD) Bates said. "We've known each other for a long time, so could that possibly happen at some point in time? I'm sure at some point in time it probably will be something that's discussed. Whether it will happen in the near future or not, I can't tell you. Do I like the regional matchup and the history of the relationship, of course, but again, I wasn't here during that cantankerous time and I know there's still a lot of scars that are remaining from that period.""

Funny Dez talked to all parties involved "except Diaco" about this.

Last edited:
I see that ESPN picked up the story here and shows that we're not into it at UCF. Truth is our fanbase's sentiments echoes yours. However, I have no issues with a secondary rivalry with you all. USF isn't known for their class (nor are we at times); but I've never heard or seen a negative comment about your fanbase or athletic programs. With that said, I understand that Diaco should probably focus his attention on more traditional rivals for you all like Cuse' and BC, but this Knight welcomes one with you. Feel free to visit our fantastic weather and family friendly amenities; don't expect a return visit from me though, too damn cold up there for this Florida boy (no, that's not why we lost to you). Good luck this season

Thanks to both the UCF guys for the Orlando invite, it's a great destination, I've been plenty of times myself especially living in south FL for awhile and with family in Weston for years. Would've probably been there already if Pasqualoni and his program killing sidekickGeorge DeLeone didn't destroy the projection our FB team that Edsall was on in it's first 8-9 years in FBS.

Now I'd like to see if Diaco is anything more than a young energetic used car salesmen
and can become anything close to what UCF has done sinceO'Leary started out 0-11 in the MAC and with only 3 down years in his 11 at the school, while putting together some great teams. Diaco burned the redshirts of more freshman last year than we've ever seen and sent a bunch of upperclassmen walking, but it does seem like the current players and recruits love him so we'll see if that translates onto the field. Despite Uconn's win last year.... which was probably a fluke more because of the wildcat that a Uconn WR ran that no one on both sides saw coming and the 4 picks (weather ?).....I'd rather go to Orlando to see 2 competitive teams instead of the bloodbath Blake Bortles and company laid on Pasqualoni's sorry bunch the last time around.

But with the AAC hoop tourney (Orlando, Amway Center To Host 2016 and 2017) heading south, a trip to Orlando might happen a little sooner anyway, since we've been to known to have a few decent hoops teams at Uconn that are somewhat competitive.

Last edited:
More yesterday from Sports NY.TV's -John Silver:

"There are many things wrong with the game but the main point is this — neither fan base wants it. UConn has struggled at 5-19 the last two years including 2-10 in Diaco’s first year. It’s a precipitous fall from owning Syracuse and having battles to the death with Rutgers. The Huskies have over 100 years of athletic history including over 100 years of playing college football."

"I cringed in October when Diaco mentioned the ‘Civil Conflict’ in his press conference. It doesn’t fit here, but no harm no foul, maybe it would go away. This is a UConn football thing only and when football extends into public relations and marketing, it becomes a bad idea. Then the football staff made a trophy. That’s when it hit the internet. Nothing can take like wildfire like a chance to take an online cheap shot. It’s perfect because it’s trivial."

SNY-Random thoughts: Civil Conflict just won’t go away

Last edited:
I cannot believe the media forgot to mention this as part of their coverage ...
- http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo...t-ucf-was-in-the-american-athletic-conference

I.e., this is the same UConn Athletics that forgot we were in the same conference just 2 seasons ago, correct? First you ignore us ... now you want to focus on us? Huh?

And don't try to bring up basketball either. I mean, after all, we didn't create a trophy after 2011. ;)
- http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=313290041

Although I'm still surprised how many Huskies forget that one.

Well I knew this would end bad....;)...LOL ! Now after getting challenged and beat 2 years in a row by Uconn.......UCF's winless George O'Leary has resigned..... Twice !!!....

* Report: UCF coach George O'Leary resigns
" It's O'Leary's second resignation of 2015. He was appointed the school's interim athletic director earlier in the year and resigned from that post two weeks ago."

The guy just won the Fiesta Bowl 2 years ago, I guess it doesn't take long to go from the penthouse to the outhouse......Boy..... Diaco...you really know how to pick on a guy when he's down !!

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFBS
Hopefully the next UCF coach embraces the #conFLiCT

Well if he doesn't at least the former Michigan alum (Warde & Bates), who are AD's at Uconn and Boston College were smart enough to bail Diaco out in the last few weeks with a real rivalry full of fanbase hate on both sides: Eff It, Time To Play UConn In Football - BC ...

Though we're still waiting on the official announcement other than what "a jersey guy" has posted and sources ??? :
Brett McMurphy @McMurphyESPN
"Boston College, UConn schedule home/home series; 2016 at BC, 2017 at UC, source told @ESPN. Also 2 games in 2020s. 1st reported by @blauds"

From the Boston Globe:
Boston College to resume playing football vs. UConn
"The agreement seemed to signal a truce in the cold war between UConn and BC, whose officials vowed never to play UConn again after their nasty split in 2005 when the Eagles departed the Big East to join the ACC. "

Last edited:
Well this ridiculous chapter and "Rivalry game" has finally come to an end ( though the AAC division series will continue)..... it seems that Diaco and along with his trophy have road off into the sunset together:

The Bristol Press - Made-up UConn football rivalry with UCF over, but trophy still missing
" It likely wasn’t akin to a scene from “Raiders of the Lost Ark,” where a lonely worker wheels a crate containing a priceless artifact " Numerous UConn officials claim they have no knowledge of its final resting place.
“I honestly don’t know,” UConn Athletic Director David Benedict said Tuesday. “That trophy was there before I got there. I believe that trophy was commissioned and paid for by coach Diaco. And therefore if it left with him, I don’t know that, but if it did that’s fine.”

I guess Uconn fans will have to settle for the series with Boston College( plenty of good healthy hate there..;)) and round 2 at Fenway Park this year..

Last edited:
UCF fan here. If anyone can find that trophy and bring it down to Orlando this week, I’d be happy to display it in the Black and Gold cabana section of the BounceHouse (there is a “bar” overlooking the field) and we can informally accept it from last year. Then, if you win, I will walk it over one section to the visitors section. It is too funny to not continue the rivalry as a gag.

I plan on attending the game at Pratt & Whitney next year so if we win I’ll be sure to bring it.

That's some funny chit ...Since the new AD & HC Edsall both had a WTF moment when asked about it ...like us fans did originally o_O......you might have to find that crackpot Diaco, to track it down..LOL !!! ....wherever he ends up after his latest flop in the coaching ranks....

The irony of the whole thing would be if after Diaco gets canned @ Nebraska along with Mike Riley....& Scott Frost ends up back at his alma mater for having such a good year.
PS... take it easy on the Huskies....Diaco left so little depth on the defense (his specialty, WTF ???), Edsall had to fill it with a bunch of true freshman he brought in.

Watch this bizarre quote from Nebraska DC Bob Diaco .

Last edited:
The Hartford Courant's columnist takes one last shot at the trophy (err, Diaco ) :

" In June 2015, when you were unveiled via Twitter, you were nationally ridiculed. The New York Post called you the worst rivalry in sports history. Did I defend you? No, I wrote that you made UConn a laughingstock and you probably would be found in somebody's garage in Willimantic in five years."

"I know I am the right man for this job. I was the sleuth who found the composer of "Brass Bonanza," the greatest hockey song of all time. OK, OK, it took me 25 years, but Jack Say was a pseudonym for Jacques Ysaye and he was living in Alsemberg, Belgium. Is that where you are ConFLiCT? Are you in Belgium? I have looked hard for you. I couldn't find you in the Burton Complex, Gampel Pavilion or Rentschler Field. I walked poolside at the natatorium and looked in the deep end. You were not there. .............They just don't miss you like I do, sweet ConFLiCT. Last week, Geno Auriemma on the Barstool Sports podcast Pardon My Take, called you "one of the dumbest things in the history of sports.".....He didn't appreciate the rivalry existed only in Diaco's fertile mind.."

Full read - Jacobs: Where In The World Is The ConFLiCT Trophy?

I see Jacobs added this Tuesday night (and changed his title), to the case of the Civil ConFLiCT trophy.... straight from Crazy Bob's mouth...mystery solved:

" After losing Saturday to Northwestern, Diaco went on one of his mystifying double-talk, triple-talk riffs about the state of his defense that left Nebraska shaking its head. Find the internet video, ConFLiCt. It will make you smile. On Tuesday night after Diaco talked about the problems of tackling at Nebraska, bless him, Sam McKewon of the Omaha World-Herald tackled the challenge of asking Diaco about you."

"I've eliminated it from my mind," Diaco said. "I put the experience in a chest, locked it, dumped it into the ocean and I threw away the key. That's the important thing. I've thrown the key away. I don't even know 'it" or what you're talking about. Because I've eliminated that whole painful part from my mind."

Last edited:
The dumbest trophy game in CFB, created by Crazy Bob, who's lost 4/5 jobs in 5 years and who's unemployed once again this year, still won't go away.

Really UCF did you have to ? .... come on you can't have Diaco's trophy ;), he said he threw it in the ocean....

But I guess Uconn is willing to play along:

No wonder Bob Diaco liked the series, it was one of the few he won while HC of Uconn (from 2014-2016)

civil-con.jpg

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT