ADVERTISEMENT

Syracuse v. UConn at MSG, November 15

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
They are 2-0 like UConn and like UConn struggled to beat Morehead State. Syracuse has struggled offensively due to being without starting point guard Frank Howard, who may be back for the UConn game Thursday. Inserted into the starting lineup in his place is freshmen Buddy Boeheim, the 6’5” son of Jim, who is reportedly a 3 point threat but has shot the ball poorly in the first two games and probably isn’t ready. If Howard is back, Syracuse has all 5 starters back from a sweet 16 team. They are long and athletic and very good defensively, but I don’t think they are a great shooting team. This is a very difficult opponent which will likely be favored.

Reactions: UconNell
vs. Syracuse (ACC) Thurs. Nov. 15th- 7pm / ESPN2
CUSe.jpg

Last edited:
I feel like Cobb, because of his ballhandling and passing abilities, could be a factor if placed in the middle of the zone. 3 point shooting and better rebounding will be paramount against Syracuse. Depending on whether Howard plays and how much/how effectively, UConn ball pressure could be a big factor in the game. Even if Howard plays, he is the only ball handler. The other teams Syracuse played were not good enough to expose this weakness and UConn could be catching Syracuse with Howard in his first game back and not yet ready to play major minutes. I feel like major pressure by UConn will be coming.

Does anyone know when Whaley will be back? His
length and athleticism would be needed in a game like this one.

Reactions: the Blades
I don't know if Hurley has ever faced Cuse as a coach, obviously he did as a player, but Tom Moore is gonna have to earn his money this game with as many meetings he's been in to scheme vs. that zone. Seems like it'll come down to who's style controls the game. I expect Cuse to have 2 guys back on D at all times to slow down the Huskies .

Last edited:
I think the biggest key is whether Frank Howard can play for SU. Syracuse has no other point guards to play and UConn, the way they have played D and pressured the ball in the first couple games, is a terrible matchup for a team which has no available point guards. I have been combing the SU blogs to see if I can find a status update on Howard, but the fans do not see to know if he will be ready to play or not. It would seem at best he might play a little and not be fully ready for big minutes.

Syracuse is definitely going to try and slow this game down, and the zone can sometimes do that, especially if a team cannot rebound well against it and control the ball.

The other side of this is that UConn could have real problems rebounding against the zone, and causing TOs from sloppy ballhandling may be the only way to offset those issues. UConn might also have some interior matchup issues on defense, especially on Brissett, although hopefully Yakwe will have some more legs this game and will not be in a hurry to challenge Okwandu/Brimah foul per minute records set at UConn.

According to this update, Syracuse starting point guard Frank Howard is unlikely to play tomorrow night. It seems that freshman Jalen Carey, who has been on the shelf himself due to injury and is more of a combo guard than a pure point guard, will likely get the start:

https://www.nhregister.com/uconn/article/UConn-Syracuse-battle-again-on-Thursday-but-13389015.php

This is a very favorable scenario for UConn, which has the talent and depth at guard to press and make things very, very difficult for young Jalen Carey.

“He’s been practicing a little bit, but hasn’t really had a full practice yet,” said Boeheim. “He’s been out eight weeks, he’s very limited in what he can do. I don’t know that he would even be able to play this week — I doubt it.”

Boeheim sounds like, LOL :
law-order-law-lawyers-solicitors-school-forked_tongue-ksmn581_low.jpg

Also the early signing period has started plus some future scheduling comments from DH:
" Several Putnam Science Academy players will be signing national letters of intent Wednesday, but UConn target Akok Akok is not ready to make a decision, coach Tom Espinosa said. UConn is expecting letters from James Bouknight and Jalen Gaffey, who committed in September."

Syracuse’s spokesperson has issued a statement that Frank Howard’s status is a “game time decision.” I am kind of doubting he will play, but they probably want to keep UConn guessing so that Hurley and his staff are forced to prepare for him.

ESPN has a line on this game of Syracuse -9.5, which is rather surprising to me given the status of Frank Howard. I would be inclined to take UConn and the points. UConn even covered that spread in last year's game, with a team that was clearly not as good, although Syracuse (with Howard) is a team with all 5 starters back, so they should be better as well.

Expecting a slow ugly game with both teams struggling to break 60.
Syracuse should be following their NCAA tourney milk the shot clock blueprint and then have their top 2 guys rotate on who goes one on one in the final 5 minutes.

The rebounding will be a big problem here. UCONN will be one and done and hard pressed to keep cuse off the O glass

CFP,

The game could play out that way, or SU could be a sloppy mess against UConn pressure. Jalen Carey has been very TO prone and if he is starting at PG (he is a freshman combo guard) against Alterique’s ball pressure it could be a mess and the Cuse TOs could wash against any rebounding advantage they may have.

I guess we have to play the game to find out what happens ......

CFP,

The game could play out that way, or SU could be a sloppy mess against UConn pressure. Jalen Carey has been very TO prone and if he is starting at PG (he is a freshman combo guard) against Alterique’s ball pressure it could be a mess and the Cuse TOs could wash against any rebounding advantage they may have.

I guess we have to play the game to find out what happens ......

GREAT EARLY CALL by khalid. UCONN forcing turnovers constantly

Cobb was a factor because he can handle the ball and create shots against a zone defense. 9 points and 5 boards is his greatest contribution in a UConn uniform so far and the night isn’t over.

UConn was a little sloppier than they should be handling the ball but not as sloppy as Syracuse. You could see Syracuse is really out of whack on offense without their PG. UConn is catching them at the right time.

BTW UConn has the depth to get in foul trouble and when Wilson and Diarra are back they can have foul frenzies like never seen before. You don’t worry about it so much with a deep team.

When have we ever moved the ball like that against a zone?

Geno is the second best UConn basketball coach right now.

There, I said it.

Cobb was a big reason for the ball movement. He is a perfect big man to play against a zone defense because of his ballhandling and passing abilities. Of course stroking a 3 and grabbing 13 boards really helps too.

To score 83 points against the best zone defense in the country, and one of the best defensive teams in the country, is a major accomplishment!

UConn outrebounded Syracuse 46-32. 13 by Cobb, 8 by Jalen Adams, and 6 by Gilbert leading the way.

UConn won despite 20 turnovers. 20 TOs shouldn’t happen with this team but when you consider the length of Syracuse on D you kind of have to give UConn a pass on this - they did win the game so it’s an easy pass.

BTW some of you were getting wimpy on the fouls called on UConn. Nobody on UConn fouled out. Yakwe had 4. Syracuse outfouled UConn 24-22 and had 2 guys foul out so no crying on fouls permitted in this thread.

Last edited:
And suddenly, there is hope again
Thats all it takes

Wonder what Kevin Follie is thinking right about now.............
I picture him half deep into a bottle of cheap scotch wondering how he fouled things up so bad

Big win!!! So proud of this Huskies team and the fight they are showing. Hurley has changed the culture and getting the most out of these guys. Everyone looks more connected and showing a tremendous amount of effort compare to the last few seasons.

To have a majority of Ollie's recruits and be able to maximize their potential is really eye opening, especially as a first year coach. Love this new energy and hope it continues throughout the rest of the season.

GO HUSKIES!!!

It's great to have a real leader on the bench again, big shout out to Storrs South:

Fran Fraschilla made an interesting comment during the game last night about Hurley. He compared the UConn team, in the aftermath of last season, to abandoned dogs in a rescue shelter who were dispirited and neglected. He said Hurley came along and embraced and loved those abandoned dogs and “rescued” them, even though they weren’t his “dogs”. This team of rescue dogs now belongs to someone. And he is taking care of them.

Reactions: UconNell
Older Cuse fans behind me were so upset at the way HCDH acted on the sidelines if was awful. i would say 2/3 fans were Cuse but that’s about to change. The were all around us

Older Cuse fans behind me were so upset at the way HCDH acted on the sidelines if was awful. i would say 2/3 fans were Cuse but that’s about to change. The were all around us
I would say so was that B1G officiating crew in the Final. From my view they were out to show DH up right from the start of that Iowa game. ESPN's Frachella even called out the calls they were making. So that crew probably had a good conversation about DH before the game even started because obviously they've all worked together. I would say there was 10-15 (blatantly wrong to 50-50) calls that all went Iowa's way and never stopped. Not that Iowa wasn't bigger and stronger, but when you play small ball and are a quicker team like Uconn, you can't have a blatant one sided whistle and expect to overcome it. Especially with this new aggressive Uconn style for a team that's just getting their psyche back. Once that happened they threw up alot of forced shots (like last year), because the big slow Iowa D was bumping them on every drive (with no call), Uconn couldn't play as aggressive on D or even get a charge call when they were in position and it completely took them out of the style they wanted to play. Because of an inconstant whistle, that they never knew when they get jobbed next. Jalen told Hurley as much so that's when DH got thrown out for the first time since he was a HS coach.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT