Summer workouts

Discussion in 'UConn Basketball' started by the Blades, Jun 6, 2018.

1. the Blades

the Blades Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

2. the Blades

Expand Collapse

3. KhalidShockedTheWorld

KhalidShockedTheWorld Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I like the tough talk, but tough talk is just tough talk until it’s translated into toughness on the Court. Does anyone now remember the famous Ollieisms “we take the stairs, not the escalator” and “we are 10 toes in on defense”? At the time the press similarly swooned until the toughness seen on the Court didn’t match the statements. Now those statements are the subject of jokes and ridicule.

4. the Blades

Expand Collapse

KO was a parrot who "proved" he couldn't think for himself long term. After he got handed a job that he didn't earn and a perfect situation on a silver platter....he alienated people (JC) & destroyed that situation in 3 years.....Can you say the same thing about DH ?

UConn Men: Dan Hurley's Workouts The Remedy For 'Soft' Play
    also UCK ! … "Teams under consideration for UConn’s mid-major, nonconference opponents next season include Cornell, Drexel, UMass-Lowell and New Hampshire."

4 the Blades, Jun 15, 2018 at 4:05 PM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 9:36 AM
    UconNell and Shaggydog84 like this.
  5. the Blades

Expand Collapse

6. the Blades

Expand Collapse

Gotta give CV credit, at least he's honest about some of the low IQ stuff he threw up last year, good article by Jacobs:
    “I was immature,” Vital said. “I will say that. I wouldn’t say selfish, but I didn’t know how important it was to think about your teammates. If I had a good game of scoring 20, I’ll be like, ‘All right we lost, but at least I had 20.’ Now I understand that I need all my teammates and I need to help my teammates just like they need to help me. It’s a team.”

7. the Blades

Expand Collapse

One more from Borges:

" As blunt as he can be, Hurley hasn’t come out and laid any of the blame for the Huskies’ lack of physical and mental toughness on the previous coaching staff. But it isn’t hard to read between the lines. And while Hurley wasn’t here to see what went on last season, at least one longtime, respected member of the athletic program did notice a distinct lack of intensity and hard work, particularly in the weight room but also during practice sessions."

8. KhalidShockedTheWorld

KhalidShockedTheWorld Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

There is another way to look at it which is it’s not unusual for guys with talent to have poor IQ sophomore seasons. We saw it with Kemba and Shabazz, Kemba with wild and out of control play and Shabazz with the excessive dribbling and then hoisting up bad shots as the shot clock ran out. Those 2 drove me nuts as sophomores. UConn has talented guards who didn’t play like veterans last year. Now they have a veteran group and the decisions should be better.

I have always liked Vital’s energy and heart. He is a kid that just needs some good direction and hopefully DH will provide that. I predict Vital will lead the team in 3 point %

9. the Blades

Expand Collapse

+1 ...Good call....

9 the Blades, Jun 16, 2018 at 2:29 PM
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2018 at 11:28 PM
  10. the Blades

Expand Collapse

one more from the Courant's:
    Mike Anthony: Christian Vital's Fire Can Fuel Or Burn UConn

"Vital, among the most engaging and articulate UConn basketball players, always has a lot to say, both in conversation and body language. He plays with an edge that can carry or cut a team, staring down officials, getting snippy with opponents, almost always celebrating his own success no matter what story the scoreboard is telling...... "

“If you're a guard, pass the ball when you're supposed to pass the ball,” Hurley said. “Shoot the ball when you're supposed to shoot the ball. And you better guard like a dog, or you're not going to play. ... I'd love to play three combo guards who can score at all three levels, know when to pass, know when to shoot — versatile guards. If you're a one-dimensional guard with me, you're going to struggle.”

10 the Blades, Jun 17, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2018 at 8:22 AM