ADVERTISEMENT

Summer workouts

I like the tough talk, but tough talk is just tough talk until it’s translated into toughness on the Court. Does anyone now remember the famous Ollieisms “we take the stairs, not the escalator” and “we are 10 toes in on defense”? At the time the press similarly swooned until the toughness seen on the Court didn’t match the statements. Now those statements are the subject of jokes and ridicule.

KO was a parrot who "proved" he couldn't think for himself long term. After he got handed a job that he didn't earn and a perfect situation on a silver platter....he alienated people (JC) & destroyed that situation in 3 years.....Can you say the same thing about DH ?

UConn Men: Dan Hurley's Workouts The Remedy For 'Soft' Play
also UCK ! … "Teams under consideration for UConn’s mid-major, nonconference opponents next season include Cornell, Drexel, UMass-Lowell and New Hampshire."

Last edited:
Gotta give CV credit, at least he's honest about some of the low IQ stuff he threw up last year, good article by Jacobs:
“I was immature,” Vital said. “I will say that. I wouldn’t say selfish, but I didn’t know how important it was to think about your teammates. If I had a good game of scoring 20, I’ll be like, ‘All right we lost, but at least I had 20.’ Now I understand that I need all my teammates and I need to help my teammates just like they need to help me. It’s a team.”

One more from Borges:

" As blunt as he can be, Hurley hasn’t come out and laid any of the blame for the Huskies’ lack of physical and mental toughness on the previous coaching staff. But it isn’t hard to read between the lines. And while Hurley wasn’t here to see what went on last season, at least one longtime, respected member of the athletic program did notice a distinct lack of intensity and hard work, particularly in the weight room but also during practice sessions."

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Gotta give CV credit, at least he's honest about some of the low IQ stuff he threw up last year,]

There is another way to look at it which is it’s not unusual for guys with talent to have poor IQ sophomore seasons. We saw it with Kemba and Shabazz, Kemba with wild and out of control play and Shabazz with the excessive dribbling and then hoisting up bad shots as the shot clock ran out. Those 2 drove me nuts as sophomores. UConn has talented guards who didn’t play like veterans last year. Now they have a veteran group and the decisions should be better.

I have always liked Vital’s energy and heart. He is a kid that just needs some good direction and hopefully DH will provide that. I predict Vital will lead the team in 3 point %

There is another way to look at it which is it’s not unusual for guys with talent to have poor IQ sophomore seasons. We saw it with Kemba and Shabazz, Kemba with wild and out of control play and Shabazz with the excessive dribbling and then hoisting up bad shots as the shot clock ran out. Those 2 drove me nuts as sophomores. UConn has talented guards who didn’t play like veterans last year. Now they have a veteran group and the decisions should be better.

I have always liked Vital’s energy and heart. He is a kid that just needs some good direction and hopefully DH will provide that.
+1 ...Good call....

Last edited:
one more from the Courant's:
Mike Anthony: Christian Vital's Fire Can Fuel Or Burn UConn

"Vital, among the most engaging and articulate UConn basketball players, always has a lot to say, both in conversation and body language. He plays with an edge that can carry or cut a team, staring down officials, getting snippy with opponents, almost always celebrating his own success no matter what story the scoreboard is telling...... "

“If you're a guard, pass the ball when you're supposed to pass the ball,” Hurley said. “Shoot the ball when you're supposed to shoot the ball. And you better guard like a dog, or you're not going to play. ... I'd love to play three combo guards who can score at all three levels, know when to pass, know when to shoot — versatile guards. If you're a one-dimensional guard with me, you're going to struggle.”

Last edited:
Courant: Dan Hurley's Brutal Honesty, Tough Love, Resonates With Jalen Adams

" What Kevin Ollie could never quite get across to Adams — that good enough was not good enough for a player with his talent — Hurley will now drive home, no matter how deeply the necessary words and methods may cut. "....................“(Coach Hurley) pretty much kept it honest with me. All my life, I’ve cheated and took the easy way. That’s what got me in the position I’m in now."

Most interest comment in the SI article posted elsewhere was that he thought Jalen looked “sloppy” last year. Not sure if he was referring to bad TOs, fatigued defense or general fatigue and poor conditioning of Jalen which was on display at times, but in fairness to Jalen, he was not only the primary ballhandler but the only really competent one after the Gilbert injury. 2 straight years Gilbert getting hurt forced Jalen to become the primary ballhandler and do it all, and at times it was too much for him. He could have a monster senior season if (1) he gets in better shape, and (2) Gilbert stays healthy and relieves JA of primary ballhandling duties. Having 2 really good ballhandlers creates exciting possibilities.

+1.......I think JA was forced to do way to much the last 2 years like you said ...... He's been the only guy on the roster with a handle and any vision ( I remember when JA got hurt and Purvis had to play PG vs. HOU at the XL , the game was a 20+ deficit by halftime ). But this should pay dividends with the Hurley push and 5 guards on the roster now. Seems like DH wants a bunch of combo guys running thru his rotation and he feels his roster is deep according to the SI article.

ADVERTISEMENT