ADVERTISEMENT

Status of Boatright, Purvis, Calhoun?

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
All 3 were listed as questionable for tomorrow night's game against Yale as of Tuesday, and there have been no updates since then.

This could leave a starting backcourt of Samuel and Cassell. Hamilton will essentially need to be a backup guard at both positions unless Ollie decided to give Lenehan some run.

Honestly I would leave all 3 of Boat, Purvis and Calhoun out and make do the next two games so that they can be fully healthy for Duke.

Yale is 7-2, and lost to Providence by only 6, so they are potentially a tough foe to play shorthanded. But I think Samuel and Cassell will have to suck it up and play 35 minutes. We will see what they got. Now is their chance to show us something.

If those three are out I would make us the underdog. If they all play I think its an even game given they are all banged up. At full strength and health I would think we would win by 3 at this point of the year. If we played them in the March we blow them out.

Originally posted by Dominicfrank:
If those three are out I would make us the underdog. If they all play I think its an even game given they are all banged up. At full strength and health I would think we would win by 3 at this point of the year.
True I'd say Uconn is a 3-5 point Vegas favorite or off the board with those injuries. Yale is 7-2 on the year beat
Bryant by 7, who Uconn struggled with until the end and was losing to at halftime...Providence who is 6-1
(only loss to Kentucky) beat Yale by only 6 at home.....not a good match-up without those guards and especially
w/ the way Uconn has been shooting so far this year.

This post was edited on 12/4 2:21 PM by the Blades

Even with Samuel and Cassell starting and Hamilton/Lenehan backing them up, a loss at home to Yale would be pretty tough to take. I am not disputing what you guys are saying, it could be a tough game to win, but you would hope that the frontcourt guys pick up the slack a little bit and step up. Otherwise the team isn't really any good. You gotta be able to take out the Ivy League foe at home.

All those guys specially Purvis and Calhoun better play this next game or the following prior to Duke!!!

Ozzie,

They may not be ready to go. The ankles may be swollen or sore, and with Calhoun his freshman year if you recall he tried playing through a wrist injury and made it worse. If these guys need to heal let them heal. They should only play if they are ready to go and the medical staff clears them otherwise I want them fresh and healthy for Duke. I watched Duke last night and they looked very good and will be tough to beat. Their overall team athleticism is WAY higher than Duke teams of the past 15 years or so. For the reason they are playing better D and also shot 65% on the road at Wisconsin last night. VERY IMPRESSIVE.

Still no updates on the conditions of these 3 since Tuesday, when all 3 were said to be questionable for tomorrow's game.

Samuel and Cassell may be playing 35 minutes each tomorrow night. Hamilton and Lenehan will give them occasional blows.

They been practicing. They are fine... Go play and get in a rhythm!!

Ozzie that is really good news. I thought that Cassell and Samuel would be starting and Lenehan could play up to 10 minutes. A loss at home to Yale would not look good on the NCAA tourney resume.

If I were laying out cash knowing what I know which is basically that UConn's top 3 guards in talent/experience are possibly all out or else could play ineffectively, I would not touch this game with a 10 foot pole. It is properly off the boards. The fact that UConn has not been forthcoming with information likely weakened the knees of the Vegas people. Of course I don't blame UConn because the less the opponent knows the better. Let Yale game plan for Samuel and Cassell playing 35 minutes each.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT