ADVERTISEMENT

BB Recruiting Rivals ranks Castle among top at City of Palms Classic

Here is an interesting thought: Newton will be back next year, and probably AJ as well. Castle will give UConn 3 very tall guys who can all play point guard. Diarra also has another year of eligibility. This gives UConn amazing depth and flexibility at the position. Diarra will be needed tonight and perhaps in other games against teams with vicious pressing defenses, against which you need the small water bug type point guard who can dribble through pressure.

Castle looks very good on all his tape. He will likely be a guy who has to play minutes somewhere. I can see him being used as a shooting guard as well if Hawkins leaves, which I see as likely. He will slide right into Hawkins's spot.

Newton ? ... thought this was his last but I guess he could (like Whaley , Polley because of covid year)

Last edited:
After some of the recent games, Castle's skill set off the dribble to create offense and play under control is exactly what this years team needs.

Last edited:
Big jump up for Stephon into the top 10 of 24/7 Sports new rankings... a couple others trending up too.

Last edited:
Steph is up next at the MCD's AA game (TUE -9pm in Houston, ESPN)

He says actually 6-7 now....some pre game chat...
“Hurley wants me to play a lot at the one.” Stephon Castle on modeling his game after UConn legends and talks with Coach Hurley

And here's a recent SR look at another 2023..... the powerful 6-7/220.....Top 60 forward from WA:

One more of the Top 35... CG from Brewster Academy

Last edited:
and might as well add a clip of the Final 5 peice, the Amida Brimah clone- (who is like) Sanogo and Singare knew each other in (from) Mali "

Last edited:
the Amida Brimah clone
I don't know if this is a great compliment. What I remember about Brimah was some positives (good shot blocker and excellent alley oop dunker against weak teams in particular, as attested by 40 point game on alley oop dunks vs. Coppin State) but many negatives (easily pushed around by any team with reasonably strong bigs, no offensive game outside of alley oop dunks, weak rebounder). In the majority of big games he played in his career he was in foul trouble because he couldn't defend physically stronger 5s. This in fact caused lots of problems especially when Kentan Facey had to be used as the backup 5, which was embarrassing.

On the other hand if you have a Brimah type guy as your backup center playing say 10-15 minutes per game, it's not a bad thing. You just hope he gets bigger and stronger and at some point stops getting pushed around, which never happened for Amida.

Last edited:
On the other hand if you have a Brimah type guy as your backup center playing say 10-15 minutes per game, it's not a bad thing.
Not that I qualified it other than his build, or care too, at this point of his yet to begin college career.......but I'll give you some inside info, free of charge, Youssouf won't be starting with Clingan on the team...;)

Kimani was a 6-4 guard at UTEP just for height comparison...

Big jump in the top 100 ESPN final rankings. Uconn now with 4 players. Ross jumps in too. I think some of these services are sleepin' on Stewart's ranking though he is near top 60 in 24/7 and Rivals.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT