ADVERTISEMENT

Reports: UConn locks up Hurley

URI stepped up as much as possible according to Goodman:

Last edited:
So I guess this guy's back and Uconn has a former HC on it's bench again:

tom_moore_360_374.png

Reactions: andersonfro
It seems like he ended up leaving only around $1 million on the table with the Pitt offer if I understand what is being reported. It also sounds like Dave Benedict got private donors to make up the difference between the initial UConn offer and the final offer. It seems like Hurley did use Pitt to drive up the final contract price.

If all current recruits are retained or recommit, Jalen is persuaded to return and a competent big man can be recruited, his first team can be good. A winning record is a reasonable expectation.

If all current recruits are retained or recommit, Jalen is persuaded to return and a competent big man can be recruited, his first team can be good. A winning record is a reasonable expectation.

He had a competent big man recruited in Jermaine Harris to URI maybe he will come to UCONN as well.

I am cautiously optimistic about the future. Hopefully he gets an assistant who can shore up the defense (with an emphasis on help defense and switching). I’m looking forward to seeing what happens with the current players, and what he does with the roster. Does everyone stay? How about the recruits? Does he re-recruit Akinjo? Does he bring anyone with him? Interesting times.

USNA90,

I agree with all of your sentiments. First order of business should be to bring in a shot blocking and solid rebounding big. That helps shore up the D right away. I think Hurley has some good pieces on that roster and kids like Jalen, Christian, Rique, Sidney, Josh and Isaiah Whaley can all play for him. If he can get Akinjo recommitted and keep the other 2 recruits and bring on one really competent big then it begins to look okay or better for next year.

The talent on the roster wasn’t as bad as it was made to look by the Ollie offense and Larrier leaving is addition by subtraction. He is a low IQ BBall player and I feel like he hurt the team chemistry often last year. He was a big disappointment.

It’s not as much of a rebuild as some may think. The roster is certainly better than what Calhoun had in his first year.

Last edited:
USNA90,

I agree with all of your sentiments. First order of business should be to bring in a shot blocking and solid rebounding big. That helps shore up the D right away. I think Hurley has some good pieces on that roster and kids like Jalen, Christian, Rique, Sidney, Josh and Isaiah Whaley can all play for him. If he can get Akinjo recommitted and keep the other 2 recruits and bring on one really competent big then it begins to look okay or better for next year.

The talent on the roster wasn’t as bad as it was made to look by the Ollie offense and Larrier leaving is addition by subtraction. He is a low IQ BBall player and I feel like he hurt the team chemistry often last year. He was a big disappointment........

It’s not as much of a rebuild as some may think. The roster is certainly better than what Calhoun had in his first year.
...+1, especially on this point

Also if he can just change the Assist to Turnover Ratio ( URI was #19 in CBB, Uconn #321 ...Larrier was horrible at 25 Asst - 69 TO's) that would be a good start...

Last edited:
Daigneault has reported that donor involvement was necessary to make the final contract happen. So I don’t know if we should believe Daigneault or Jacobs. If we should believe Jacobs, then UConn is not as “cash strapped” as everyone thinks. Or they could both be right and the donors are only being asked to step up on the possible Ollie buyout, which is an unknown liability but max of $10 million. I think Ollie will be made to walk for around $3 million when all is said and done. I am sure negotiations are probably under way as they lay the NCAA crap on the table with Ollie’s attorneys and they make their counter-proposals.

Last edited:
Daigneault has reported that donor involvement was necessary to make the final contract happen. So I don’t know if we should believe Daigneault or Jacobs. If we should believe Jacobs, then UConn is not as “cash strapped” as everyone thinks. Or they could both be right and the donors are only being asked to step up on the possible Ollie buyout, which is an unknown liability but max of $10 million. I think Ollie will be made to walk for around $3 million when all is said and done. I am sure negotiations are probably under way as they lay the NCAA crap on the table with Ollie’s attorneys and they make their counter-proposals.
I didn't see Daigneault tweet that.....but time will tell if they chose right and made an economically sound choice. Extending KO was obviously not... But they had to do something or lose everyone.......so I am willing to " go for it" and re-up on season tix, I think I'll give em' another donation today too......how about you ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
Blades now that Hurley is hired and even though he wasn’t my favored candidate I intend to support him fully, attend as many games as possible and support the team as I always have in the past, until he shows he doesn’t deserve my support. And I am hoping that doesn’t happen or that he loses me like Ollie did starting when he fired Glen Miller and then going downhill from there.

Reactions: the Blades
I’m excited to be a uconn fan once again ✊. Awesome hire, can’t wait to see the rebound back to greatness in a few years.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Great day to be a Husky!

Best of luck to Ollie. Failure is a great motivator and outside of a great month a few years back, there was a lot of it.

This is probably a year late, but we got our man. #drivefor5

What happens to Chillious now? He had been named interim head coach. Does that officially come to an end tomorrow? What then for the Chill? Will he be given a permanent Chill Pill?

Last edited:
The media is funny
Private donations were absolutely solicited. They were budgeted for a certain amount which was the original offer.
When PITT's offer came in, donors made up the difference.
Why does it matter?

I could care less about Akinjo and the 2 verbals they got for 2018.
I'd rather they decommit to open up more scholly's and get upgraded talent in here
Wilson is on board
Gilbert will be back

If Adams decides not to play pro ball in Europe or Asia next year and we can get frontcourt players, the team can challenge for a tourney bid right away.

Chillious has no ties to Hurley so I doubt he will stick around.
If he wants to stay onboard I'm sure he'll be welcomed as a recruiting asset.
If not all the same. We can clear out all remnants of Kevin Follie and the foul stench he left on the program.

Enjoy spending any money you might be granted in a wrongful termination lawsuit on legal fees KO

I agree that it shouldn’t matter if private donors made up the difference between UConn’s initial offer and the final contract price, but if that’s true UConn and Benedict are lying to us. They have used Jacobs to issue a statement denying private donations. This should be transparent. Hurley is a State of CT employee and the payors of his salary is public information. Just tell the truth. That’s all.

Its not transparent because UCONN does not want to admit publicly that they couldn't afford the salary within budget.
They are trying to hide the fact that the school's athletic program is not generating the revenue it used to in the Big East.
We all know this but public perception to them matters.

So they used some media puppet to communicate an agenda.
It happens all the time.

The result is the same, they got the coach they wanted.
I applaud Benedict for doing what was needed to get the deal done.
And putting the loophole in Follie's contract and finding a way to use it.
Finally, something from the University showing they still have an interest in competing at the highest level.

Now they need to get out of the AAC.

DH is here - the return to prominence begins

CFP, your analysis is probably correct. I had thought that Jacobs was a little smarter than to allow himself to be used as a "puppet" or "tool", but it seems like that's all that he is. In fairness to him, he has to report what he is being told, whether he believes it or not, and it's not necessarily for him to say "Dave Benedict told me this but he is full of shit". It is for all of us, you and me and the rest of the fans, to decide. Politicians make statements that are bullshit all the time, and they are not normally reported as BS, even if we all know that they are BS. So I guess we just have to accept it for what it is.

ADVERTISEMENT