ADVERTISEMENT

QuickCap: UConn Powers Past Maine, 100-56

aman kidwai

Staff
Apr 28, 2015
By Wiliam S. Paxton

STORRS, Conn. – Sterling Gibbs scored a game-high 20 points in his UConn debut and the Huskies cruised to a 100-56 victory over Maine in front of a sold-out crowd of 10,167 Friday night at Gampel Pavilion.

Amida Brimah finished with 19 points (7-for-8 shooting), nine blocks and seven rebounds, while Shonn Miller added 17 points and 10 rebounds for the Huskies. Overall, 12 Huskies figured in the scoring,with Rodney Purvis adding 10 points.

Leading 42-30 at the half, UConn crushed the Black Bears (0-1) with a 27-4 start to the second half. Maine which never led in the game, shot just 11.1 percent in the opening eight minutes, while UConn made 12 of 16 shots from the field and scored on six alley-oops.

Daniel Hamilton finished with seven points, nine rebounds and nine assists for the Huskies. UConn is 4-0 in openers under head coach Kevin Ollie and has now won 16 straight since losing 70-68 to Iowa on Nov. 11, 1999 at Madison Square Garden.

It was a very impressive performance and the only real negative stat was 5-22 on 3 pointers. The transition game looked incredible and the defense, especially the first 10 minutes of the second half, was sensational. 15 blocked shots and 20 points against 8 TOs you will take any time. I think that against better teams they will need to step up the 3 point shooting. They are now hovering around 31-32% for the first 3 games against weak teams and haven't needed to make some 3s, but when they play some better squads which shut down the transition offense they will need to do better than that.

I like the pace that they moved the ball in the half court and how unselfish they played. No standing and dribbling seems to be required on this team, no one trying to dominate the ball which is a good thing and with a point forward like D-Ham....maybe they don't need a PG ;). But Gibbs seemed to take his pace and subtle moves to new gear now that the season started. And Miller keeps looking like a rich man's Kirk King with his power and athleticism. Amida held on to some boards too :D, beside his blocks and points.... 3 pt shooting could be better, as mentioned above, and heard the coaches say they don't want them to settle for 3's..... When they did in the first half that's when Maine made a little run. Overall nice game to get everyone's feet wet and this team has plenty of options.....and seeing how bad they struggled last year to get by weak sisters like DII's Southern, Assumption and then Bryant, this team has a different look so it should be interesting.

Last edited:
The way Hamilton plays he is sort of like a permanent decoy in the point forward position. If he can become a better or good 3 point shooter he will be a deadly weapon. He was really facilitating the offense last night and seems to have very good court vision. I noticed that Rodney Purvis has been trying to pass the ball a lot more and although he doesn't have the precision with his passes that Hamilton does, you can see that unselfish play is spreading through this team. I think Hamilton is influencing that. A team will often take its cues from its best players. Between him and Gibbs there will be at least 10-12 assists every game.

Gibbs and Miller were most impressive last night and I think those two will fill the leadership void. That play where Miller streaked in and jammed home the missed shot by Hamilton was awesome. I don't recall UConn having a better athlete at the 4 position. He is definitely a souped up Selvie/King, but probably athletically more along the lines of Stanley Robinson, except Miller is stronger than Stan was.

Also elsewhere on opening night in the AAC... teams went 2-3 with USF and Tulane giving it's best effort to hold down the conference RPI....SMH !
Western Carolina 72
University-of-Cincinnati.png
Cincinnati 97
t20.png
Temple 67
UNC.png
North Carolina 91
h6.png
Grambling 53
East-Carolina.png
East Carolina 61
Troy_Trojans.png
Troy 82
South_Florida.png
USF 77
aamu.png
Alabama A&M 68
Tulane_.png
Tulane 67

Last edited:
Reactions: aman kidwai
I was very disappointed with Temple, I would have thought they would have given UNC a better game than that. USF isn't very good. USF and Tulane are AAC bottom of the barrel so those scores are not a total surprise but are certainly not helpful to the AAC cause.

It's one game and against Maine, but what a difference a year makes.

So much fun to watch.

DHam looked like Magic Johnson at times.

Miller isn't your dads Ivy League player. Good lord, he looked like an under control confident version of Sticks.

Gibbs is quicker than I imagined. I knew he could shoot, but I'm pleased with his ability to drive and finish, as well as his vision and ability to create for others.

And we have a lot of quality off the bench, led by Adams.

Anything short of a final four, will be a dispointment imo.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT