ADVERTISEMENT

Question for UConn fans

HailToPitt725

May 16, 2016
Hello again, Huskies. Had a question regarding conference realignment.

Let’s say the Big Ten adds Notre Dame plus three PAC-12 schools and the SEC invites four ACC schools (e.g. Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina). At that point, the ACC is in a pretty weak position and there’s thought that the Big XII might look to add four ACC schools at that point as well. For discussion sake, let’s say those four are Georgia Tech, Louisville, NC State, and Virginia Tech.

In this scenario, the ACC would have six remaining members: Boston College, Duke, Pitt, Syracuse, Virginia, and Wake Forest. If the conference looked to add members and stay alive, do you think UConn would join if invited? Better yet, do you think the Big East would accept three football schools (Boston College, Pitt, Syracuse) if they were interested in returning? Perhaps we’d go independent in football and form a scheduling pact with the Huskies.

Welcome back, I hope your ready for this because you asked about CR....;)

We had a little talk about this on the hoops board. Actually it's interesting to see alot of the west coast teams squirm now and realize they all aren't as valuable without certain schools for TV contract purposes, just like the Big 12 has also found out. I don't want to get into all the school move scenarios because I don't really care. But mostly because Uconn has been an expert on losing in CR and I've "written a book" about it on this site since 2003. That being said as I put in Post #4 on the hoops board-

" I'm more than happy with the Big East hoops, Indy FB set up. But if Uconn ended up as back fill in the ACC, that would be fine too. Especially TV money wise compared to what the Uconn AD makes now. That would take the Clemson's, FLA St, etc, chasing $$$ ( very likely) into one of the new " P-2's ", (if they can get out before the 2036 ACC GOR's with ESPN ends). Uconn heading back into an all sports conference once again with BC, Cuse, Pitt, Va Tech, Ville, etc would be like going back to the future ! "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should end it at that and you should probably stop reading...but I'm on a roll, LOL! so IMHO it really comes down to- ACC movement = good for Uconn...but as far as you guys... I don't see ESPN having any interest in letting ACC teams out of their 2036 GOR.

Think back to that Providence fool BE Comiss. Marinatto, who turned done a ESPN billion $ deal thinking he was gonna take the BE to the open market. It was never gonna happen because ESPN was pissed & destroyed the BE, by moving some BE parts to a conference they did own, (the ACC) then bought the leftover schools for chump change for the new AAC once they destroyed the BE.

Why would ESPN want to pay tons more for schools they already own at a long term value rate (e.g. Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina) to play in the SEC ? And remember the legal threats the Big 12 just made to ESPN when they thought they could break things up to then move the Big 12 leftovers ( without TX & OK) to the American and get them on the cheap in a fire sale.

So all this stuff works both ways legally until TV contracts come up for renewal as the B1G, the PAC 12, Big 12, etc are dealing with since they all have true TV free agency in the next couple of years. I also posted a decent video from a Uconn grad, Fox Sports reporter on the west coast in that BB thread who talks about the Notre Dame factor and the ACC.

Last edited:
Reactions: HailToPitt725
Welcome back, I hope your ready for this because you asked about CR....;)

We had a little talk about this on the hoops board. Actually it's interesting to see alot of the west coast teams squirm now and realize they all aren't as valuable without certain schools for TV contract purposes, just like the Big 12 has also found out. I don't want to get into all the school move scenarios because I don't really care. But mostly because Uconn has been an expert on losing in CR and I've "written a book" about it on this site since 2003. That being said as I put in Post #4 on the hoops board-

" I'm more than happy with the Big East hoops, Indy FB set up. But if Uconn ended up as back fill in the ACC, that would be fine too. Especially TV money wise compared to what the Uconn AD makes now. That would take the Clemson's, FLA St, etc, chasing $$$ ( very likely) into one of the new " P-2's ", (if they can get out before the 2036 ACC GOR's with ESPN ends). Uconn heading back into an all sports conference once again with BC, Cuse, Pitt, Va Tech, Ville, etc would be like going back to the future ! "
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I should end it at that and you should probably stop reading...but I'm on a roll, LOL! so IMHO it really comes down to- ACC movement = good for Uconn...but as far as you guys... I don't see ESPN having any interest in letting ACC teams out of their 2036 GOR.

Think back to that Providence fool BE Comiss. Marinatto, who turned done a billion $ deal thinking he was gonna take the BE to the open market. It was never gonna happen as ESPN destroyed the BE, by moving some BE parts to a conference they own, (the ACC) then bought the leftover schools for chump change for the new AAC once they destroyed the BE.

Why would ESPN want to pay tons more for schools they already own at long term value rate (e.g. Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina) to play in the SEC ? And remember the legal threats the Big 12 just made to ESPN when they thought they could break things up to then move the Big 12 leftovers ( without TX & OK) to the American and get them on the cheap in a fire sale.

So all this stuff works both ways legally until TV contracts come up for renewal as the BIG, the PAC 12, Big 12, etc are dealing with since they have true TV free agency in the next couple of years. I also posted a decent video from a Uconn grad, Fox sports reporter on the west coast in that BB thread who talks about the Notre Dame factor and the ACC.

Nice post, very informative. I really hope the Grant of Rights deal is able to hold up but it seems like there’s already a few ACC schools looking to get out of it. If one or a few schools can bypass it, I fear it will open the floodgates for the other power conferences to poach what’s left. I also think it’d get more difficult for ESPN if the Big Ten decides to get in on it and invites, for example, North Carolina. Just really interesting times in college sports. When it’s all said and done, I just hope Pitt is in a regionally-centric conference and remains with Syracuse and, preferably, Boston College.

Nice post, very informative. I really hope the Grant of Rights deal is able to hold up but it seems like there’s already a few ACC schools looking to get out of it. If one or a few schools can bypass it, I fear it will open the floodgates for the other power conferences to poach what’s left. I also think it’d get more difficult for ESPN if the Big Ten decides to get in on it and invites, for example, North Carolina. Just really interesting times in college sports. When it’s all said and done, I just hope Pitt is in a regionally-centric conference and remains with Syracuse and, preferably, Boston College.
True, that's really how all this works, the B1G/FOX are ESPN's enemy, just like ESPN stole TX and OK from the Big 12 for a conference ESPN own's, the SEC .... but for us true fans of college sports, rivalries, traditions, etc, many are gone and the TV puppet masters could care less. Just ask Uconn.. we were stuck playing schools in the midwest or former C-USA teams for way to long, SMH !

Hello again, Huskies. Had a question regarding conference realignment.
another response from a poster on the hoops board---

post- #13
" I am not sure if anyone can predict what will happen. I think of CR as like the game of musical chairs. The goal of the game is not to be the last one standing. The only difference with CR is the last one standing is left out. So the question is whether you grab a chair in one conference when a chair might be available for another conference later in the game. There are so many moving parts and it seems like the Power 5 could be moving towards a Power 2 or 3. I also don't rule out the possibility of the Courts being involved at some point, again, to decide antitrust issues based on what is happening now. It's not 1985 any more.

My opinion is not particularly well informed or better informed than anyone else's. But does it make sense for UConn to kiss and make up with former Big East FB schools like Syracuse, Pitt, BC, I would say only from the standpoint that it makes sense geographically to play those schools"

Reactions: HailToPitt725
another response from a poster on the hoops board---

post- #13
" I am not sure if anyone can predict what will happen. I think of CR as like the game of musical chairs. The goal of the game is not to be the last one standing. The only difference with CR is the last one standing is left out. So the question is whether you grab a chair in one conference when a chair might be available for another conference later in the game. There are so many moving parts and it seems like the Power 5 could be moving towards a Power 2 or 3. I also don't rule out the possibility of the Courts being involved at some point, again, to decide antitrust issues based on what is happening now. It's not 1985 any more.

My opinion is not particularly well informed or better informed than anyone else's. But does it make sense for UConn to kiss and make up with former Big East FB schools like Syracuse, Pitt, BC, I would say only from the standpoint that it makes sense geographically to play those schools"
This is just me day dreaming and assuming the ACC gets purged, but I’d love for the Big East and what’s left of the ACC to merge. Keep the Big East name and make it eastern-centric. It could look something like this:

- Boston College
- Duke
- Georgetown
- Pittsburgh
- Seton Hall
- St. John’s
- Syracuse
- UConn
- Villanona

In my opinion, that would indisputably be the best basketball conference in the country. The five FBS schools could form a scheduling pact for football, too.

Reactions: the Blades
Another writer.....another story in the ongoing drama that is known as CR----

From the Uconn AD:
Currently 7 home and homes series are scheduled/in process -Boston College, Cuse( x4 ), Duke, NC State, UNC, Wake ( plus one former ACC, a H& H series vs. Maryland).....with more to come ? (as only 11 games have been announced)

I don't see ESPN having any interest in letting ACC teams out of their 2036 GOR.

Why would ESPN want to pay tons more for schools they already own at a long term value rate (e.g. Clemson, Florida State, Miami, North Carolina) to play in the SEC ? And remember the legal threats the Big 12 just made to ESPN.....So all this stuff works both ways legally until TV contracts come up for renewal
Speaking of, don't know how true it is but I saw this tweet regarding the above...

ADVERTISEMENT