ADVERTISEMENT

Phil Knight Invitational - UConn one of 16 teams invited

tcf_15

Mar 31, 2015
http://pkinvitational.com/
egqwlXK.png

PK80- Phil Knight Invitational will be a two-tournament men’s college basketball event held in Portland, Oregon honoring Nike Co-Founder Phil Knight for his 80th Birthday and in recognition of his significant contributions to collegiate basketball. Sixteen college teams will participate in what will be the best collection of college basketball teams in one event, at a single site, in the history of the sport.

ESPN and the Rose Quarter will host one of the largest regular season tournaments in college basketball history with games taking place in both the Moda Center and the Veterans Memorial Coliseum. The event will consist of two brackets of eight teams, with each bracket limited to one team per conference. Games will be played on Thursday, November 23; Friday, November 24; and Sunday, November 26. Stay tuned for the bracket announcement and game schedules.

There can be no doubt that playing in the Battle for Atlantis last year, Maui Classic this year, and Phil Knight's Invitational next year is very important to the continued visibility and success of the UConn program. UConn now needs to go out and do some damage in these tournaments like they did in Maui in 2010. I still feel that UConn's performance in the 2010 Maui Classic was a harbinger of things to come later that year when they won Big East and NCAA tournaments backed by the outstanding play of Kemba Walker and outstanding interior defense. I recall sending my Uncle an email after UConn beat Kentucky in 2010 Maui Championship telling him it was the best game UConn had played in 7 years. UConn needs to crash these tournament parties hard.

Reactions: UconNell
There can be no doubt that playing in the Battle for Atlantis last year, Maui Classic this year, and Phil Knight's Invitational next year is very important to the continued visibility and success of the UConn program. UConn now needs to go out and do some damage in these tournaments like they did in Maui in 2010. I still feel that UConn's performance in the 2010 Maui Classic was a harbinger of things to come later that year when they won Big East and NCAA tournaments backed by the outstanding play of Kemba Walker and outstanding interior defense. I recall sending my Uncle an email after UConn beat Kentucky in 2010 Maui Championship telling him it was the best game UConn had played in 7 years. UConn needs to crash these tournament parties hard.

I was there..... best thing about that tourney was the Uconn fanbase was down on the team because of the Dyson led group the year before. So where as 300 hundred
plus travel packages were sold to Maui in 2005, almost nobody but friends and family of the team went in 2010. Which made it alot easier to get Tix without the overpriced travel package.....gotta love it when the bandwagon crowd isn't on board and then Kemba and Uconn shock the world....also it was great fun trash talking the large group of Kentucky fans who thought they owned the place......talk about a bunch of loud mouths cryin' in their tears....LOL !

Last edited:
That team was monstrous on D.......you could see it in this game and then in the NCAA title game Butler shot 19% FGs and had 10 of their shots blocked. Watching this game it reminds of what great defense UConn played. Kentucky had all kind of problems in this game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT