ADVERTISEMENT

OT- Uconn Hockey (FRI- 5pm vs. Providence)

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
Tonight and tomorrow's NHL draft, that was postponed from June, has 3 more Uconn players in their sight. The Huskies already have 5 NHL picks on this years roster and should have 8 NHL picks before the start of this season, including a CT home grown freshman, Nick Capone (6-2/205 lb RW) of East Haven, rated as a 4-5 round pick. Russian defenseman Kusnetsov (6-4/209) who was the youngest player in College hockey last year at just 17 during the entire season, is ranked as a 1st or 2nd rounder...... The 2020 NHL Draft will be held virtually with Round 1 taking place on Tuesday, Oct. 6 beginning at 7 p.m. ET on NBCSN (livestream). Rounds 2-7 will be held Wednesday, Oct. 7 beginning at 11:30 a.m. ET on NHL Network.

UConn Huskies men's ice hockey - 2020-21 Roster list w/ current draft status

Full story by NHR's Jim Fuller

Last edited:
Next up is a forward from Moscow, RUSSIA who played 2 years of HS hockey in Minnesota ....

The "on campus" #ICE BUS is ready to be fired up. The all- HE season starts in less than 2 weeks with 2 games up in VT....( all home games on campus)

Well with Vermont, Uconn's first week opponent, now shut down until Dec 18 and Maine vs. UMass no longer being played this weekend.

....Hockey East goes to plan B on Fri/Sat with Uconn vs UMass...w/ FREE live streaming from CBS:

Last edited:
Also Big shout out to Dan Connolly of the Uconn Blog for the best Uconn Hockey coverage in the state. He has a very active twitter account with updates....... Dan is also the Blog's beat writer for WBB.

LINK: The UConn Blog

Blades can you explain to me why they have OT and shootouts when the winner ends up getting a tie out of it? It's pointless. Stop the game at 2-2 and award the tie at the end of the regulation. No reason to play on if you aren't playing for anything except the tie that you have already achieved. Some of these kids are NHL draft picks and if they get hurt in OT playing for nothing it's really not right.

Great frickin' question ......Hockey East went to NHL OT rules this year, but I still can't figure out how or when they decide WTF is up.... I read this " the Huskies won a four-round shootout, which may end up coming into play in the Hockey East standings. Then I read this from Dan direct from the HE commish who was also at Freitis last night .... but then again it's 2020 why shouldn't we get "fake is real" statements like that, LOL!

PS. Hockey East now plays 3 on 3 in OT, like the NHL, and if someone scores it's sudden victory

Last edited:
So what you are saying is if they score a goal in the 3 on 3 OT it's a victory/win, but if they then have a shootout it's a tie no matter what? I don't get it. Then play the OT and if someone wins it fine but if it ends in a tie that should be it. In the NHL I believe they award points based on the actual result. It seems that here all that matters is who wins or ties and I don't understand what they are doing with these shootouts if nobody wins the game after the sudden death OT.

UMass was listed as 1-0-1 and still undefeated. Their record says they did not lose the game, even though they did.

So what you are saying is if they score a goal in the 3 on 3 OT it's a victory/win, but if they then have a shootout it's a tie no matter what? I don't get it. Then play the OT and if someone wins it fine but if it ends in a tie that should be it. In the NHL I believe they award points based on the actual result. It seems that here all that matters is who wins or ties and I don't understand what they are doing with these shootouts if nobody wins the game after the sudden death OT.

UMass was listed as 1-0-1 and still undefeated. Their record says they did not lose the game, even though they did.
I'm gonna take a leap. Uconn has played games in the past vs. other conferences , but because College Hockey isn't uniform rules from conference to conference....Uconn has won OOC shoot outs but they have been listed as if it ended up a tie. MAYBE and it's a big maybe... this series presently is not being considered a Hockey East series....As of Now... because of all the Covid changes ( did you notice the standings from HE don't list it as league games ? ) ...... If later on HE decides they need to use this series as league games... then because HE now plays NHL rules in conference.... it will go down as a W if it's changed to a conference game for Uconn.

2020-21 Hockey East Men's Standings

Last edited:
We've been tricked again....Uconn's hockey schedule on the website says the team was playing this week-end....I wonder what happened ? LOL !

Hockey finally gets game #3 after Maine cancelled on them last week-end...

but then the Covid rules exception takes over.

Last edited:
Uconn to start up again this week-end, without 2 of their NHL players who'll be with the Russian national team..

Uconn wastes a 3rd period 2 goal comeback vs. #2 in the nation BC, losing in the 3 on 3 OT. Uconn should have won in regulation but the refs let a terrible 2nd goal by BC count, following video review. Not calling interference by the BC forward who knocked into the Uconn goalie after he made the save. Teams meet up again in Storrs following the WBB game on CW20 TV at 3:30 pm.

Last edited:
I am surprised UConn plays BC in any sport with the way they knifed UConn in the back leaving the Big East and then blocking UConn from the ACC. I suppose it all worked out for the best but a stab in the back is a stab in the back.

I am surprised UConn plays BC in any sport with the way they knifed UConn in the back leaving the Big East and then blocking UConn from the ACC. I suppose it all worked out for the best but a stab in the back is a stab in the back.
True about the back stab, but does Uconn have a choice playing in the same conference, Hockey East, as them ?
Plus Uconn's Hockey coach did spend 18 years at BC, so he probably would have scheduled his former school either way. Also when you look at all the CR it seems like no one got better on the field or the court, with all the shuffling around, except the teams who stayed their own conferences.

You are right about hockey and having no choice, but has UConn played BC in basketball since BC left the Big East? I don't think so......and they should never be voluntarily scheduled. They should only be played if UConn has no choice as in an in season or postseason tournament, although I would not go to any holiday tournament which also invites them. I would tell all tournament organizers that UConn will only come if BC is not in the field. This would be the effective way to respond to the back stab. Block them from tournaments, as they blocked UConn from the ACC.

You are right about hockey and having no choice, but has UConn played BC in basketball since BC left the Big East? I don't think so......and they should never be voluntarily scheduled. They should only be played if UConn has no choice as in an in season or postseason tournament, although I would not go to any holiday tournament which also invites them. I would tell all tournament organizers that UConn will only come if BC is not in the field. This would be the effective way to respond to the back stab. Block them from tournaments, as they blocked UConn from the ACC.
It seems like it was the ex Michigan guys who played under Bo Schembechler , Warde for Uconn and the old BC AD Brad Bates that came in after Flipper......who started this stuff up again with the football, soccer, baseball games etc. ....and both of them are gone..... I guess me, you and Geno are the only ones that'll never forget... LOL!

Boston College's media has excused the loss based on players missing from the game who were away at World Juniors camp:

While conveniently omitting from their article that Uconn's top ranked NHL draft picks ( a defenseman and forward) where not playing for Uconn because they have left the Huskies for a few weeks to play for mother Russia in the same World junior championships....Also a 3rd NHL pick( 2nd by the Islanders) from Russia left Uconn just prior to the season because of Covid and turned pro.....maybe as Calhoun said they " should get some facts and get back to us ! ".....LOL!

Blades you should email a link to your post to the author of that article or post a comment and tell him to get back to us! LOL

I do not like creating excuses for losses. I remember years ago reading some comment in the Duke boards or blog after UConn beat them in the 1999 national championship game and all these excuses, no credit was being given etc and this after they had been posting that UConn had a "nice team" but had no chance.

Speaking of NHL picks, Uconn just added 2 more for 2021. But one Ryan Tverberg, who was drafted by Toronto, out of Richmond Hill, Ontario, will join the Huskies next semester. Uconn flipped him from Harvard according to Dan of the Uconn blog ( who covers Mens' hockey and the WBB teams)

The 2nd is (Uconn signs ) Chase Bradley, an NHL pick of Detroit that Uconn flipped from Northeastern. The St Louis native is playing in the USHL and will join the Huskies next season.

UConn men’s hockey to add Ryan Tverberg after holiday break; Firstov, Kuznetsov at Russian World Juniors camp

Last edited:
UConn seems to be stockpiling major young hockey talent. I am looking forward to seeing these kids develop and hope next season we will be able to attend games and they will schedule 1 or 2 in Bridgeport. I saw UConn beat Defending Champ Union College a few years ago in Bridgeport and really enjoyed that game.

" If players went home for Christmas, they would have had to quarantine when they returned, jeopardizing still more games scheduled for early January. They voted to keep working through the pandemic, mitigating the risks as much as possible. Among the team’s slogans is “we skate; we pressure; we fight for every inch of the ice.”

Blades can you explain to me why they have OT and shootouts when the winner ends up getting a tie out of it? It's pointless. Stop the game at 2-2 and award the tie at the end of the regulation. No reason to play on if you aren't playing for anything except the tie that you have already achieved. Some of these kids are NHL draft picks and if they get hurt in OT playing for nothing it's really not right.
Uconn now gets 2 points for the shoot out win vs. Umass.....Since all games are counted as conference games in standings. Prior to this change some of games that were vs. HE opponents were gonna be considered out of conference games ...confusing yes... but teams get

Last edited:
Hockey team plays today at 5pm, Mon DEC 21 ...FREE live streaming on the link below:

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT