ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Uconn Baseball (# 16 RPI)

thx for the posts Blades.
amazing how well they did vertically without their ace. only other northeast team i remember being this strong is Maine back in the 80’s i believe.

Yeah good to finally have Cate back, he threw 2 innings( in relief ) for the first time since March yesterday. It was tough replacing a guy
who projects that high in this years MLB draft....

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Maine when they had Billy Swift in the 1980s was indeed exceptionally strong. Swift went on to have a nice major league career, with the Mariners primarily.

Now UConn needs to do some damage. When they had Barnes and Springer back in 2012 or so I think they almost made the CWS but lost a tough one to Jackie Bradley Jr. and South Carolina. That game was billed as the "Battle of the Great Centerfielders" between Bradley and Springer. In the major leagues, Springer has been the much better player. He is an All Star while Bradley now basically a 4th outfielder with the Red Sox due to his streakiness as a hitter. Meanwhile Barnes has turned out to be a solid relief pitcher for the Red Sox.

Uconn sweeps double header to move into the semifinal winners side:

didn’t know it was possible but i watched entire game on FB. Cate was huge! great team double.

didn’t know it was possible but i watched entire game on FB. Cate was huge! great team double.
Same here( and I don't have a facebook account).... I was pleasantly surprised with the production and streaming picture quality, though the announcers seemed a little clueless at times. I'm getting to the end of my cable/triple play contract and I have to seriously look into cutting the cord and at other internet streaming services/options, because this seems to be the the direction that everything is going...

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
Stefanski sends Uconn to the AAC Championship game with walk off win vs. USF !!!

That’s amazing considering they got mercy-ruled by USF yesterday !!!!
Not really considering Penders only used his mid week pitchers yesterday, who never get a sniff of the week-end conference games. Dunlop had the best E.R.A of all them @ 5.40. Simeone (6.20 ), Santos (8.10) and Rajkowski (11.91) finished it out and he didn't use any of his front line guys that won it for him today..
But it was smart Tourney BB because Penders had a game in hand ...while USF was eliminated yesterday if they lost... and with a tourney that was squeezed together because of the bad weather..it taxes a pitching staff.

Now regarding who he runs out there on the mound tomorrow ....that's another story ! ( the Sunday AAC championship was moved up a day because of more bad weather) I guess it's all hands on deck !

Last edited:
I like all hands on deck games because the manager has to do a lot of thinking and game management as far as who to use, when and for how long. Hopefully if the better pitchers are rested they can be used for a few innings each depending on matchups....I have been watching a lot of Yankees games lately and manager A. Boone has been pushing the envelope with using 1 inning relievers for 2 innings... especially Dellin Betances. You really need to know your pitchers and how long they are effective for in terms of the pitch counts. In winner take all games you would like to push guys a little bit past their normal comfort zones....

Last edited:
Also the Sunday game was supposed to be on ESPN-News...... don't know if it'll be a TV broadcast now because of the switch.

Looks like real bad weather heading into the Tampa area this morning...but still looks like it's a go.....
I guess no ESPN broadcast either ( just the AAC Facebook page):

Could be a tough match-up for Uconn: Trevor Holmes starting( 5.00 era in 18 innings of work this year)

Last edited:
Way to fight back Huskies, while having to use 3 back end of staff pitchers in the finals. ECU wins it by getting 3 runs, in an inning the home plate ump decided to give them four outs, SMH !...

Last edited:
Can they still get invited to the NCAA tourney/College World Series?
They are a lock to be in the 64 team NCAA's this year with a current #16 RPI.....the only question now is if they will be selected to host a regional in Norwich.....they can't play @ DD Park , Yard Goats have games this week-end. Plus I think there are advertising issues with the NCAA not allowing them in the parks the tourney plays in.

just read this :
"Despite the loss, the Huskies (35-20-1) are contenders to host and have submitted a bid to play at Dodd Stadium in Norwich. The NCAA will announce host sites at 8:30 p.m. Sunday night. "

Last edited:
Way to fight back Huskies, while having to use 3 back end of staff pitchers in the finals. ECU wins it by getting 3 runs, in an inning the home plate ump decided to give them four outs, SMH !...

awful ball 3 call to ECU’s hammer who then hit 3-2 pitch for an rbi single. since when has belt high become a bad pitch. boy that hurt em

Reactions: the Blades
Once again an NCAA committee sticks it to Uconn with a better RPI than Coastal Carolina, Texas and NC St. who all got to host.
And by the way..... Uconn already beat Coastal on the road @ SC, in a head to head match-up earlier this year !

from national CBB writers:

Last edited:
F northeast baseball. NCAA should just come out & day it. Hopefully we take it out tomorrow n regional in SC.

12:00 PM Washington vs. Connecticut (Site 10 / Game 1) (NCAA Baseball Championship)

channel_logo_espn3_2x.png
---- LINK

Last edited:
tough going forward with top 3 starters basically done for this sub regional. but, Penders has done a yeomans job piecing 9 innings together when needed so we’ll see. Thought i read that Poulin was starting against CC. isn’t he their closer?

on the CT HS front Windsor beats Watertown to move into L semis.

Reactions: the Blades
True about the SP...With Uconn starting the season with Cate, Feole and Gardner....1, 2 and 3 starters, tough playing on the losers side and having to win 2 more games on Sunday after your top 3 are spent. I guess it times to pull out all the stops using Poulin... he's been idle since May 25th. The other guy would be Kersten but there's no tomorrow ....

Last edited:
Uconn knocks out #1 seed/ host Coastal....Should have been 6-3 but bad umpiring in a key inning ( for the 2nd tourney in a row) gave the bad guys four outs and extra runs. Also like the ESPN announcers said if it was the super regionals the NCAA changes the rules and uses replay, so the inning should have been over. But Fedko comes up big in the bottom of the eighth for the W !!!!

Last edited:
So they play Washington in the regional final and the winner advances or do they have to beat Washington twice? And the next round is the so called "Super Regionals", right?

ADVERTISEMENT