ADVERTISEMENT

Ollie/Staff visits today

KFree was watching the 7 footer.

Not sure what that means if he is promoted or just filling in since Hobbs is gone.

Reactions: aman kidwai
Here is an article on the Vann transfer- this kid is from Bridgeport and was a freshman so he would have to sit out but did put up eye opening stats as a freshman for Maine:

http://www.pressherald.com/2016/03/30/umaine-basketballs-leading-scorer-plans-to-transfer/

Probably more of a mid major kind of guy like the kid UConn had a few years ago, Lasan Kromah. As a matter of interest Kromah is now playing professionally in Greece and last year played in the Turkish league where Hilton Armstrong has played the past few years. So UConn well represented in the Greek, Turkish and German Professional leagues right now. And the year before Kromah played 2014 season in Hungary. So the kid is living a great life touring Europe and playing ball.

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc2000
Vann sounds like late bloomer whose athleticism was way beyond that level. I think he could be a nice find. All the articles talk glowingly about him being a good teammate/kid.

Will prob be 21 y.o. Soph in two years, will be a man compared to 18 y.o. Freshman.

I kinda like it if the reports are true. Over 40% from deep (not tons of them but enough) and says he likes contact/getting to the line, one thing that drove me crazy that DHam didn't seem to ever want contact.

Get Vann, Vital and either Thompson/Dembele/5th year guy and they did well again in the spring.

Gotta get a handler and I'm sure they will.

Reactions: Doc2000
FWIW I recall listening to most of the UConn - Maine game this year on radio and Joe D. was impressed with Vann, and although he scored 10 points on 2-10 FGs he went 6-8 at the line against UConn with 5 boards. For the season he would go on to average a team leading 16.4 ppg and shoot 45.7% FGs, 41.3% on 3s, 78% FTs, 5.8 boards. All very good freshman numbers, all racked up against weak competition, but warranting him transferring to a higher level of basketball as those numbers show he had too easy a time as a frosh. Freshmen are supposed to struggle and those numbers don't suggest he had any struggles at all.

That would be One World Trade Center aka The Freedom Tower and it looks to me like that photo was shot from the Club Quarters hotel across from the 9/11 Memorial. I know because I have stayed in that hotel multiple times and have similar photos of the building. It also looks great when lit up at night.

As a matter of interest if you guys go on Priceline Express and select the financial district in NYC that hotel can be had on Friday nights for cheaper than $120. It caters to business travelers and the financial district hotels are mostly empty on weekends because tourists usually stay in other locations.

UConn Basketball Recruits On Display In New York City at Jordan Brand Classic

The Jordan Brand Classic will have plenty of UConn interest this year. Friday's four-game showcase for top high school basketball talent will feature incoming UConn freshmen in three of the games at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn. Alterique Gilbert, from Lithonia, Ga., will be playing in the prime time event, the boys national game starting at 8 p.m. on ESPN2. Gilbert's high school coach, Sharman White of Miller Grove, will be coaching the East team.

In the regional game at 5:30 p.m., Mamadou Diarra, 6-8 power forward from Queens and Putnam Science Academy, will be playing for Team New York. Diarra will be joined on his team by two undecided recruits who are scheduled to visit UConn next week: Taurean Thompson, 6-9 forward from New York and Brewster Academy, and Christian Vital, 6-2 shooting guard from Queens and St. Thomas More.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT