ADVERTISEMENT

O/T Major League Baseball- Return of Sports on TV!

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
The Yankees and Mets are playing a home and home series, Saturday night in Queens and Sunday night in the Bronx, both games 7 pm, both games to be televised on YES and SNY. Although these are meaningless tuneup games that will not count in the standings, they are the final tuneups before the regular season starts next week, and they are also the first non intrasquad games each team has played against an outside opponent since baseball resumed. Because the regular season starts in days, expect each team to start their anticipated regular lineups. Both teams are very good. The Yankees are among the favorites to win the World Series; the Mets appear to have the best lineup in the National League and certainly look like a playoff team.

As always, staying healthy and also Covid-free will be a significant factor in the success or failure of each team. I like both NY teams to make the playoffs. I think the Yankees are a little deeper in pitching and have more high end offensive talent, and because of this are probably a greater threat to go farther in the playoffs in what looks like a possible crapshoot of a season.

It's concerning. Apparently the Phillies disinfected the visiting clubhouse where the infected Marlins stayed but the Yankees weren't satisfied and brought in their own clubhouse personnel to do the job as they want it done. The Marlins now have 12 infected players and 2 infected coaches, which is a huge problem. I don't even know if they have 12 guys on their taxi squad. I thought the taxi squads were 10 guys. Which means they could need to sign inactive minor league players to Major League contracts.

It's not what you want.

MLB has envisioned some positive tests but this appears to be a crippling blow to the Miami Marlins, not that they were expected to be a playoff team at full strength. But I don't see how they can possibly field a MLB competitive team even in a week. They are looking at 2 weeks of deactivated regulars, not enough taxi squad players to fill their roster, and no chance of being competitive in the short term at least which, in a 60 game season, is more long term than it seems.

They might have to give MLB contracts to long inactive minor league players, which really isn't what they want to do. Those guys may be in no shape to play.

Blades,

I think that these statements and the hiring of MLB Compliance Officers is designed to get teams and players to do a better job following the protocols that have been put in place. The Marlins are hopefully just a bad exception to protocol compliance.

On a more positive note, Aaron Judge and Giancarlo Stanton are on a pace to hit 50 homers between them in 60 games. The Yankees have been in power surge mode from the first game.

Blades,

I think that these statements and the hiring of MLB Compliance Officers is designed to get teams and players to do a better job following the protocols that have been put in place. The Marlins are hopefully just a bad exception to protocol compliance.
I guess you haven't heard, it's not just the Marlins now......so this seems to be already worse than when that Utah players first case shut down the entire NBA...Crazy world regarding the virus and the way different countries, states, cities, sport organizations, leagues, conferences, etc , etc.. are responding to it.
Even in our own state where the Governor said college teams would have to be quarantined 2 weeks if they travel out of state but he's letting CT's pro soccer team ignore his directive 4 games into the season. link- Despite coronavirus travel restrictions, Hartford Athletic ...

Last edited:
The Marlins have 18 positive tested players, I don't believe any other team has had more than 4. 18 players is 60% of the active roster. That is a crippling blow to the Marlins team but a sign of what can happen when the protocols are not being managed properly.

The Yankees had 3 positives all before summer camp broke. DJ LeMahiue is back with the team and Luis Cessa and Aroldis Chapman are about to rejoin the team. Since summer camp broke no positives on the Yankees. I notice that they have calmed down with high 5s, and there is no longer spitting on or licking of the fingers or the ball. The other day Braves pitcher Kyle Wright basically said he likes to lick his fingers and then grip the ball and couldn't grip it without licking, so he struggled and was beaten but admitted that not being able to lick is not an excuse and that he needs to "figure it out." Other pitchers are also struggling with grip issues. They can't spit on or lick their fingers and this is a fairly common method of establishing the grips needed to throw MLB level pitches. Now they have to do other things and/or grip it best they can.

Regarding your comment on how sports organizations are handling Covid 19 differently, MLB has been criticized for not using a "bubble" concept and playing in one or two locations like the NBA and NHL. Rob Manfred gave what I thought was an unsatisfying answer to this question, saying, "we have too many players and it's not feasible." I am not sure I agree with that. The fact that they had to hire "compliance officers" tells you that they are worried about players being left to their own devices, i.e. "horny dudes on the road is going to bring this down" comment to Jeff Passan made by anonymous MLB player. If they had all guys in one location this wouldn't be an issue and there would be no "horny dudes" on road. Just in one location and supervised by monitors, with no other people coming and going as they wish.

But once you have multiple cancellations.....
If they had all guys in one location this wouldn't be an issue and there would be no "horny dudes" on road. Just in one location and supervised by monitors, with no other people coming and going as they wish.
One location supervised by their mothers, not monitors might work better, LOL !.... there are already 2 teams now that are cancelling games, this might not end well for MLB.

Last edited:
The multiple cancellations will likely result in an unbalanced schedule and playoffs teams will be determined based on winning %. I think there is a chance they can complete the season, they just have to do a better job managing the protocols. I am hoping the Marlins fiasco sent a message to all the players that they have to be more careful in adhering to the protocols. Manfred has stated repeatedly the protocols will work- if they are adhered to. They now have compliance officers who are the de facto monitors/mothers and hopefully there will be no more huge breakouts. Each team has a taxi squad and I think each can absorb up to 10 Covid ILs. The Marlins situation is extreme and I don't see them recovering from it. Assuming they can use a patchwork of taxi squad guys, unsigned free agents and inactive minor leaguers to resume their schedule in a week or two, they will need to play 7 inning double headers to catch up and will likely field a wildly uncompetitive squad of guys who are likely not in game shape either. That is going to be their problem. Hopefully the compliance officers will help and they will get through it.

ADVERTISEMENT