ADVERTISEMENT

New spin against the P-5 cartel .....

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
......by Jacobs...... through the eyes of Uconn women's sports:

" There seems nothing can stop the Power Five from shafting the dozen or so schools that pay big-time money in without getting big-time money back.
And if the NCAA is powerless to punish North Carolina for its academic scandal and the ACC shrugs, what makes me think this is possible? If Louisville cheats until it stinks and the ACC stands by Louisville, what makes me think this is possible? "

Let's not fool ourselves. The hundreds of millions of dollars from college football foot the bill for elite women's basketball. Will UConn remain among the top five programs (without Geno)? Look at Tennessee after Pat Summitt. And Tennessee is in the SEC.

"Everybody who is a fan of UConn athletics thinks about what's going to happen to this athletic program if they don't get into a Power Five," said Lobo, who is on the UConn Board of Trustees. "Do I worry about the UConn women in particular? Not as long as coach Auriemma is here. I don't see anything but championship contenders every season. But when you look at the athletic department globally, everyone would love to see them in a Power Five." Lobo stopped. "You're going to get me in trouble," she said.

Jeff Jacobs: Protect UConn Women's Sports From (the) Erosion (of being outside the P-5)

Look no further than life after Calhoun......we might win a title after Geno leaves......the year after he leaves if the players stay for what I hope to be Jeff Waltz's first year........but even then it will be back to the pack for UCONN in women's bball.

ADVERTISEMENT