ADVERTISEMENT

New ESPN Rankings.... # 1 to 351

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
FWIW....Here are the top 10 and teams in the AAC according to the ESPiN'er...Ranking every team:

1. Arizona Wildcats | RPM% 49
2. Wichita State Shockers | RPM% 93
3. Duke Blue Devils | RPM% 19
4. Michigan State Spartans | RPM% 77
5. Villanova Wildcats | RPM% 53
6. West Virginia Mountaineers | RPM% 53
7. Cincinnati Bearcats | RPM% 73
8. Kansas Jayhawks | RPM% 37
9. Kentucky Wildcats | RPM% 7
10. North Carolina Tar Heels | RPM% 38

37. SMU Mustangs | RPM% 39
60. Temple Owls | RPM% 71
64. UConn Huskies | RPM% 36
70. Houston Cougars | RPM% 63
72. UCF Knights | RPM% 59
79. Tulsa Golden Hurricane | RPM% 74
131. Memphis Tigers | RPM% 23
185. East Carolina Pirates | RPM% 51
227. South Florida Bulls | RPM% 30
212. Tulane Green Wave | RPM% 59

Last edited:
Is #64 good enough to get in to the NCAA Tournament? With all the automatic bids given to weak conference tournament champions, it isn’t. UConn will need to show it is better than that.

What the AAC (and Uconn) does OOC, will have a long way to go as to how many bids they get....

I think Major 7 and Power 6 are apples and oranges. That discussion of Major 7 is a basketball discussion which includes Big East and AAC with the traditional Power 5. When Aresco was making the statement of Power 6, he meant football-basketball combination schools since the Big East doesn’t have any football schools.

Getting back to a Major 7 for basketball, that article mentions that no AAC team has been seeded higher than #5 in the NCAA tournament in its 5 years of existence. The theory is that Wichita State will change that. There is no doubt that the AAC is stronger with WSU and I think all of the teams have improved which is one reason why UConn could be 5th place in this conference. For all of these reasons the “let’s get out of the AAC immediately” chants have died down. Right now there is no reason to get out of the AAC. The AAC is on the rise. Like 3 years ago I told everyone to calm down with the get out of AAC or bust demands and wait to see how things shake out. I knew CR was not over. Things have shaken out well, now UConn has to make itself a bigger fish in the AAC pond because it isn’t right now. And seeking another conference is downright nonsense talk when the football team is at the bottom of the league and the basketball team is in the middle. Get better and then talk otherwise it’s best to stay in a rising conference.

I was being sarcastic regarding these "marketing" names, especially since there is no more $$$ attached to them....

BUT....Money and getting left behind, like the last time(s), are the reasons Uconn has always needed to get out.....like I said a millions times... even though overall the AAC football conference is probably better than the old 8 team Big East FB conference, that no longer exists.

Competition level is great, but it means nothing if game attendance continues to tank. Which is exactly the case, in major part, because of Uconn fan apathy directly related to the AAC and the teams in it. There seems to be some calm after the Big 12 clusterf#ck that took place( not losing teams will do that)...but Uconn better be ready for the next exodus of more teams. They can't be left behind for the 4th or 5th time. Also if the money situation doesn't change upwards for the AAC it will still end up being a financial disaster for Uconn with Big East exit fees drying up and the State budget issues.

But beyond all that a better BB conference like the article above said, is certainly better. ( at least for the couch potatoes who are not concerned w/ Uconn's half empty venues and the school's AD, that continues to run even further into the red. ;))

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT