Jon Wholley- Linebackers
Dennis Dottin-Carter - Defensive Line
Corey Edsall -Tight Ends

Eric Klein - Director of Football Strength and Conditioning
Ryan Steinberg - Director of Football Operations

Kyle Cooper - Graduate Assistant FB Coach
2017%20UConn%20staff.png

Last edited:
Corey Edsall will not be joining the staff, per se, as the contract stipulates employment at UConn but in a position not supervised by Randy.

Steinberg is a really great addition. Built his career from the ground up, working on staff at Maryland with Friegden then staying with Edsall before spending a couple of years in the NCAA Enforcement office.

Thanks again for taking Rhett! Just be sure to tuck him into bed every night since Gus won't be able to keep doing that.

Reactions: AUNaughty7
Seems like some Auburn fans are excited to see him leave... what they should know is their football is not like our football.. just look at our previous OC's resume if you need proof.

Yeah, well we have an OC as a head coach..who forgot how to call plays..and doesn't like being a CEO..oh crap.

Maybe a good hire but just a heads up that his playbook consists of 6 plays at most. Be ready to sub a bunch of guys for no apparent reason, run the ball up the middle 99% of the time on first down, and for all your QB's to become incredibly awful the second he steps on campus.

Maybe a good hire but just a heads up that his playbook consists of 6 plays at most. Be ready to sub a bunch of guys for no apparent reason, run the ball up the middle 99% of the time on first down, and for all your QB's to become incredibly awful the second he steps on campus.
Actually since he is out from Gus' control, look for Rhett to actually do pretty well. I think he will work out just fine for the Huskies.

Actually since he is out from Gus' control, look for Rhett to actually do pretty well. I think he will work out just fine for the Huskies.
It's been clear that AU's offense bogged down when Gus was meddling. However, I am glad to see Rhett go because I don't believe he had any authority under Gus. Hopefully Rhett will have autonomy under Edsall(sp?). But one thing is for sure, the Gus/Rhett duo in regards to QB recruiting and development was absolutely horrid. Here's to hoping Rhett kills it at UConn so that we can prove once and for all that Gus is our problem and he needs to go. Thanks for helping us out, Huskies!

He needed to leave Auburn for his own sake. Our issues are with Gus not Lashlee.

I think he'll do well at UConn. Good hire for you guys.
Agree 100%. Plus, Edsall knows what he's doing. The two of them together will do big things (relatively speaking) at UConn and Edsall will just further cement his place in history there.

Don't listen to the AU guys huskies. I think it a great decision for all sides involved. Gus has hit a rut and needs some new ideas and Rhett Needs to get out from Gus shadow. Rhett wasn't the recruiter a program like AU needs but think he will do well with you. He does know the offense. We just don't know how much he actually called on gamedays. Fwiw it's assumed our best games this year Rhett was calling and our worst Gus was calling but not counting the first 3 games our worst came when our QB and RB got hurt. I actually think Rhett will do well as long as the staff is able to get a few key pieces for the offense do run well.

He will do well here at UConn. You dumbazz Awbren sums of bishes don't know what you got, till it's gone, to quote Cinderella. Just wait till we get back to that Birmingham bowl and kick that little William Muschamp boy's azz, AGAIN!! For real, Rhett will do great things and players love him.

Reactions: atotigers07
I like the Lashlee hire.......Dave Benedict came through!!!!!
True this has DB written all over it.... and now we know more why Diaco was canned....word was Benedict had former Minnesota HC Jerry Kill on campus a few weeks
back and he was willing to take the Uconn job as OC. But I guess Diaco didn't want a former Big Ten head coach, that was DB's hire, looking over his shoulder. Kill took the Rutgers job and Diaco is gone the day after Christmas. Plus DB saved the $5 mil buyout down to $3.4 Mil after Jan 1st and the over $2 mil a year they were going to pay him.

That Benedict has now brought back Edsall on a mission @ half ( $1 mil a year + in an incentive laden contract) of what he was going to pay Diaco and now brings in another guy ( @ a paycut ) on a mission to prove himself away from( as our Auburn visitors & ) Malzahn himself has mentioned "This is a great opportunity for Rhett to implement and run his own offense," ........Benedict could become "executive of the year" if he can turn around Paul Pasqualoni & Diaco's mess.

Also nice to have a humbled Edsall back to work with the AD on these things. One of the biggest issues he had B4 he left Uconn was with the soon to be fired AD Hathaway, plus getting players in through admissions, that would later end up at WVU or Louisville during the Big East days. Anything is better than what Diaco & Verducci were running early in the year that looked like a Rugby scrum before they tried to spread it out and became lost. I guess the only way to go is up. If it's somewhere near what Edsall( round 1) ran his last 3 years, when he had Donald Brown run for over 2,000 yds, Todman and Dixon over 1,000 each, then Todman and Co over 2 (the Fiesta Bowl year) it's back in the right direction.....sounds like Edsall will let him do his thing ( and it's not like HCRE is afraid to spread it out like when he brought in Joe Moorhead as his OC, who Penn St. is in love with right now ). Let's see where the DC position goes, I was hoping for a younger version of the 2 ex-Uconn guys.......Moorhead and Don Brown @ Michigan, looks like we're half way home !

Last edited:
Reactions: BigtimeAub
One teams garbage....is another teams potpourri
I hear ya Shaggy.... that's why we got rid of Diaco .....Bobby Red Pants......Broyles award winner ...but at least he brought us Fishcakes, vitamin D counts and the Civil Conflict that even Uconn fans didn't want......SMH !.... Brian Kelly and Notre Dame he's all yours.... :)

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Blades, it's way early, but i like this guys background....actually held position of OC b4 he gets to UC!
He's young & Edsall must be willing to open things up a bit for him to be swayed to Storrs. I'm sure there's some type of heir apparent play but who knows....all i know is now, and now we have someone that while recruiting can talk about having some fun on the offensive side of the ball. This is what sways playmakers to come. Get a legit QB and anything can happen. Not saying we don't have one, just saying that with a QB comes more offensive players, receivers love it. Defenders know they wont have to be on the field most of the game. If other group of 5 teams can figure out how to either recruit or develop good qb's, so can we.

Of course, i liked BD as well. and i painstakenly supported him up until the minute he burned DW redshirt. Questioned him, got tired of his answers, but still supported him. So, maybe i should reserve judgement. But i need to get excited again about husky football & we sure as hell need this to work out considering the situation (non p5) we are currently in.

Blades, it's way early, but i like this guys background....actually held position of OC b4 he gets to UC!
He's young & Edsall must be willing to open things up a bit for him to be swayed to Storrs. I'm sure there's some type of heir apparent play but who knows....all i know is now, and now we have someone that while recruiting can talk about having some fun on the offensive side of the ball. This is what sways playmakers to come. Get a legit QB and anything can happen. Not saying we don't have one, just saying that with a QB comes more offensive players, receivers love it. Defenders know they wont have to be on the field most of the game. .

HC in waiting ? more from DB:
Hartford Courant- UConn Raises Profile With Big-Time Football Hire
" There was much speculation Lashlee would get a head coaching job. His name even popped up briefly after Bob Diaco was fired."

"Timing is everything," Benedict said. "There was an opportunity to visit with Rhett about our head coaching job. He went off and coached at the Sugar Bowl and we went on to hire Randy. We followed up about the OC job. "I know people are going to give me a lot of credit for this, but all I really did was hook Rhett and Randy up and they took care of the rest. I'm excited they found a connection and believe in each other."......"Rhett's a young guy, he has got a long career ahead of him," Benedict said. "While it's a pay cut, he has a healthy salary with incentives. The performance bonuses are tied to Randy's for offense. Those two are equally aligned on that point."

More from the Beat: New UConn OC Lashlee Likes To Move Quickly, Run And Spread The Offense

"The play clock will rarely, if ever, be an issue for the UConn football team in the 2017 season. " That doesn't mean coach Randy Edsall will employ an entirely different offensive method than during his first stint with the Huskies — in general, a power running game remains a key to winning — but with Rhett Lashlee on board as offensive coordinator everything will be moving much more quickly and utilize a lot of the field.

." The offense is unique in that it is spread and the play-calling is rife with options, fakes, layers, wrinkles and short passes. It will operate at breakneck pace, giving the Huskies the ability to change with the times, breathe life into what has been a dead offense for years and do so without sacrificing the general need to run the ball in the Northeast. "

I don't think it's possible for an offense to perform as poorly as UConn's did especially towards the end of last season, so Lashlee has no place to go except up. Hopefully the honeymoon lasts longer than it did with Diaco and his OC this past season.

Reactions: UconNell
Lashlee, 33, explained his decision during an interview with Arkansas radio personality Bo Mattingly on Thursday.
:

Zyskowski coached special teams, the offensive line and running backs at Old Dominion. He also served as recruiting coordinator in 2014, when the Monarchs signed their best recruiting class ever, as rated by 247Sports.

Another ad to staff.... 2010 graduate of Arkansas:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT