ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Womens Tournament

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
UConn is expected to get the 2 seed in Bridgeport which would frankly demolish the 1 seed expected to go to NC State in that region. So expect ESPN to have a live feed to Raleigh and the NC State coach and team, and to hear lots and lots of crying about the unfairness of it all. In response to that crying, they should also have a live feed to Storrs and I am hoping Geno has the stereo cranked up playing this song:

As stated above. UConn will not play any NCAA tournament games outside of Connecticut until the Final 4. NC State not happy. It's essentially as if UConn has the 1 seed and NC State the 2, but if UConn was healthy all year they probably would have had a 1 seed. They certainly played like a 1 seed in the last 3 weeks.

Last edited:
UConn shut Mercer out 20-0 in the 3rd quarter en route to a 83-38 win. I don't recall UConn ever shutting a team out for a whole quarter.

Paige was ready to play more minutes. She looked more like her usual self today than she did in the Big East tournament.

I think this team with Edwards and Dorka are better prepared for bully ball. I think we win by 28.

Scared and thoughtless is no way to play in the NCAA's. This is either the most over rated group of 5 star players Geno has ever had or he's seriously lost it as a coach. ( and I get Paige is currently a shell of what she was B4 her injury). But I've never seen a Geno team play so passive with the ball and have no clue what to do vs. pressure.

They almost look like the men's team they get so lost. But DH doesn't even have a 5 star, what's Geno have about 3-4 no 1's overall and 6-7 ....5 stars players ?

I give a lot of credit to UCF, Blades. They were rugged. Like an old mens Cincinnati team. And I knew Geno‘s rotation would tighten when the comp got fierce.

ive compared our girls to Gonzaga men. The most skilled team, but lately they find a bigger, stronger, more athletic team that sends them home in March. You don’t find a lot of 5*’s that want to play in the muck.

I broke my own rule of making a prediction without watching both teams.

UCF was extremely good on defense. I did not see the South Carolina game, but I thought UCF was the best defensive team UConn faced this season. I can see why they were 26-3 coming into this game.

The difference in the game was Fudd's 3s ...........

Reactions: CaNOLEE
The difference in the game was Fudd's 3s ...........
Yeah she seemed least effected by the bully ball and stuck to her game. ONO has to be the most overated Top 5 player ever, but nothing new for her. A sloppy and soft SR who's disappeared her whole career vs. any top team with height and/or toughness. But some of the others ones besides Crystal looked petrified to even be out there.

Missed lay-ups by the bigs, Paige looks afraid to move but that's to be expected with what she's been through, then you have Westbrook who was the #2 recruit in the country and she gave them nothing off the bench. Muhl was the only one who looked right in her element but Geno didn't want to play her... go figure ???

Last edited:
Khalid, it looked like our kids were celebrating on the court for a long time.

neither coach in the presser called the other by name or mentioned the other school. So there definitely is some bad blood. I would have liked to Hear Geno give them credit. Because I agree, they are likely the best defensive team in the country, but don’t have the scorers that South Carolina has.

ucf should have been a 4-5 seed with their resume. And if Geno doesn’t like the way they play, he better adapt. Because we got sent home by the more physical team last year(Arizona) and against Miss state. The ND loss was on him for not starting stevens and playing her more minutes Imo.

Geno is generally very charitable in his comments on opponents who play UConn tough, but I noticed that such charity did not extend to either UCF or their coach. But what impressed me about UCF is that they totally shut down passing lanes and completely devoured any pass that was less than crisp. UConn is very fortunate that Fudd is someone who can get her feet set and get her shot off as quickly and as fluidly as she does, because the times she was open, she was open for a split second and got her shot off in that split second. This is why UConn shot 29% last night on FGs. Not because they are a bad shooting team, but because the UCF team did not allow a lot of good looks and they close the window on players who flash open very quickly..

But what impressed me about UCF is that they totally shut down passing lanes and completely devoured any pass that was less than crisp. ....... but because the UCF team did not allow a lot of good looks and they close the window on players who flash open very quickly..
It's called an over play by the D, the way you beat that is a fake coming to the ball and then a quick back door cut. ( i.e., see the Princeton offense concept)

That will keep the defense more honest right away. But the coach and his team have to be prepared for this... which they weren't. And you have to be able to make wide open lay-ups, SMH....but most of these girls looked like they were gonna piss their pants when they got one, LOL !

P.S. I saw the Uconn men fail doing the same thing when their offense looked like trash alot of times, when they were overplayed by D.... Pickin' up their dribble 25 feet from the hoop (BB cardinal sin 101) then hoping some cutter would run a loop, sometimes all the way to almost the baseline, through couple of useless screens, that still didn't get them open. While the guy who picked up his dribble or can't dribble like a big is now trapped/ doubled so far from him, he's lucky to even get the ball back to a ball handler before the shot clock runs down....It's an insane offensive concept when you don't have guys who can beat their man off the dribble or while a big like Whaley or Sanogo is standing near halfcourt hoping for a guard to get back to him after he circles the entire court.

Just watch Uconn's offense sets when Calhoun coached winner after winner and were prepared for post season ball . Ball is always in the QB/PG's hands with high/low & curl screens. With the bigs down low where they can do damage. Not this clueless offense DH's running thinking he has 5 guys who can dribble and create in positionless BB like Golden State. You have to design your offense based on your personnel, not have them uselessly running around in circles on O, tiring your own team out ( while you want them to kill it on the D end too).

Here's a time when the PG didn't do his job with the ball in his hands (Lamb got open on the curl screen from Roscoe) , but JC was sure to nip it in the bud, ASAP

Last edited:
The missed layups were a big problem. Dorka in particular missed a bunch and didn't seem to finish strong. I also noticed that Ducharme missed a chippie and Geno didn't seem to reinsert her. On some of those missed layups the defense was closing fast but they have to be stronger and play through contact or perceived contact that is coming. It was not an easy game for UConn, but one that prepares them for other overplaying defenses they will see as they go along.

Ucf definitely set a blue print for how to slow down UConn’s offense. But its a little late in the year to teach that trapping zone that plays in sync with UCF’s athleticism and physicality.

That being said, everyone is going to try to beat us up from here on in. Survive and advance. ,

UConn 8.5 point favorite over Indiana:

Indiana got beasted on the backboards today. Not a clean game but you take a 17 point Sweet 16 win over a veteran team.

I watched all of the ND-NC State game. The best team didn't win the game. ND got a little sloppy down the stretch. NC State has very good ballhawking guards and if you bring it up sloppy or lazy you are going to be picked. ND led the game almost the entire way until there was 15 seconds to go. It was a brutal loss for them but they will be a team to be reckoned with in the coming years.

Indiana got beasted on the backboards today. Not a clean game but you take a 17 point Sweet 16 win over a veteran team.
I guess I realized they were playing, right at the perfect time, a couple minutes into the second half, I flipped the game on. They looked like an old Geno team. Then the Indy coach must have bitched to the refs about Uconn's 1 to 5 foul advantage ( Because you know.... Indy was probably playing physical and fouling) so then the refs started calling anything that even looked like a foul to muck up the game and try to get Indy back in it once they went down like 20 points......
I'll say it every time.... these WBB refs are strait up putrid !

There were some really horrible calls in that game. As Geno noted in the presser Indiana played very very rough and physical especially on Paige and Azzi. A few of the fouls on Paige got called, but a bunch didn't. The book on UConn is to play them rough, and all remaining opponents know that scouting report.

Very disappointing/terrible defense by Creighton in the first half put them in a 21 point hole and shattered my dim hopes for an upset. Creighton's strategy was to sag all the defenders into the paint and trap Aaliyah Boston when she got the ball, and it failed badly. The SC guards hit 3s or dribbled into the mid range for open pull up jumpers. They were still able to make consistent entry passes to Boston, who then bulled through Creighton's weak traps and scored with relative ease. I never saw a defensive strategy fail so badly. They would have been better off playing a traditional 2-3 zone defense. On offense, SC defense caused turnovers and rattled Creighton into missing layups when they read the defense and got a backdoor cut. Creighton was just outclassed big time. Fortunately there is still a shot for Louisville-Michigan winner to knock SC out, which really needs to happen as they looked extremely tough to me.

Losing Dorka is a major blow.

Paige is going to have to remember she’s Paige.

1-5 from the FT line. -8 from the stripe.

that could send you home.

My mom and step dad are there, I’m glad they didn’t see it. My kids could care less about the game. 😊

gonna need Westbrook to make a shot in the 4th. She missed 3 wide open 3’s, but I think she has a few makes in her.

GENO YOU DESERVE TO LOSE.....LIKE HURLEY keep HANDing it to your bigs with 10 SECS left in the SHOt CLOCk 20 fricken feet from the hoop......WHO came up with this Isanity on offense !!!! Don't keep it in your 3 guards hands who can dribble and maybe create off the bounce .... you zero !

Last edited:
Well Geno , unlike Hurley you were lucky enough not to be down double digits, (and to have 2 OT's) to finally realize it might be a better offense to keep it in your PG's hands. Than having her hand it off and play hot potato with your bigs and keep running away from the ball (and be lucky to even get it back)...Game, SET and Match !

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT