ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
As I watch the NCAA tournament I see talented players I have not seen before and wonder why UConn did not get them. This Buffalo point guard Wes Clark is a grad transfer from Missouri. I can’t understand why UConn went after Antwoine Anderson over Clark. Clark is a legit high D-1 starter. Why wasn’t this guy recruited?

I am very impressed by the talent on Kentucky. They are all freshman but all are good and they play together. Diallo, the kid UConn recruited, starts but he is like the 4th or 5th best player on the team. He plays over the rim and is a premiere athlete but his skills seem like they are behind his athleticism. The guys who are impressive on this team are the Canadian point guard Gilgeous - Alexander, Knox and Washington, and Wenyen Gabriel. All of these guys look very athletic and they are active on the boards and blocking shots on D.

MSU is having a horrible time against the Syracuse zone but their offensive rebounding is so amazing that they are winning the game. There is 6 plus minutes left and they have 22 O-boards. That’s amazing and definitely enables lots of ugly wins which this one most definitely will be if they win it.

OMG Cincy, the only remaining AAC team, has blown a 22 point lead to the Nevada Wolf Pack and game is tied with 46 seconds to go!!!!!

32-8 Run to end game and Nevada has knocked out Cincy 75-73. No FGs for Cincy the last 5 minutes and AAC is now out of the tournament. Great job by Eric Musselman staging one of the greatest late game comebacks in NCAA history!!!!!!

Mick Cronin is gonna take this one to his grave.....what an awful choke by his team. In the last 2 minutes it looked like Cincy panicked and I saw the end coming. A trainwreck !!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Kentucky's path to the Final 4 looks pretty good to me. Their team has way more talent than anyone left in that regional.

Here is an interesting article on a growling Mick Cronin at his post game presser, which contains video snippets of him snapping at reporters:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.spor...ngry-emotions-loss/1a1c1f21qvhhc12y7fqluakg62

After the massive choke job Cincy pulled (99.9% win probability when they were up 65-43 but they lose 75-73), I can’t imagine how Cronin could possibly sleep well. The Cincy team looked panic stricken the entire last 3 minutes and on their last possession, which was a farce.

Regarding Xavier, they really didn’t look all that good to me. I questioned whether they should have been a #1 seed in the first place with two blowout losses to Villanova.

What an incredible play and 3 pointer by Towns of Loyola with 6.3 seconds to go. And Nevada comes right back and drains a clutch 3! But Loyola manages to hang on. What a game!

Loyola of Chicago has played an incredible game tonight to get their school into the Elite 8 and with a chance to go to the Final 4 although I don’t see them beating Kentucky which is clearly the best team I have seen in this regional. But if they can pull it off, it would be something. I think UK just has too many studs.

I just saw the kind of big man UConn needs- Kanate of West Virginia. This guy is one of the best fundamental shot blockers I have ever seen. He goes straight up with 2 arms fully extended, doesn’t foul and “roofs” guys driving the basket. Every big should play like this kid does.

Loyola Chicago is playing like they want to go to the Final 4. They look very good for an 11 seed. They have physically strong players.

I am seeing a lot of guys Ollie recruited and failed to sign in this tourney. Ike Obiagu is a guy that many thought would sign with UConn, but instead he led the ACC in blocked shots playing 11 mpg for FSU. He has come up big for FSU tonight. Reminds me of Chuck Okwandu with his penchant for dramatic blocked shots at key moments. This is exactly the kind of player UConn needed this year.

Loyola Chicago is playing like they want to go to the Final 4. They look very good for an 11 seed. They have physically strong players.
All it takes is survive and advance ....they won the first 3 games by a grand total of 4 points before this blowout...... it took Michigan that last 2nd prayer to beat Houston..... March Madness gotta love it !

Last edited:
I am very impressed by the quality of basketball I have seen in last night’s Elite 8 games and so far today. Villanova has the best offensive team remaining in this tournament. They seem to have made out a lot better with their Fordham transfer (Pascal, who looks like a main man player the last two games) than UConn did with Anderson. Jalen Brunson their PG has a very very high basketball IQ and plays the game correctly. He is kind of old school in his game and doesn’t have eye popping athleticism, but is strong and just makes good plays.

I am watching Duke - Kansas. Duke is zoning Kansas, not really sure why because Kansas has done a very good job attacking it. It was thought that Duke might overpower Kansas inside due to Kansas’s 4 guard offense, but that has not happened. I actually viewed Kansas as the favorite in this game because they have more experience and I like experience in games like this.

Malik Newman of Kansas, yet another guy recruited by Ollie who didn’t come to UConn, has looked really good the last two games. He goes to the hole like a freight train (think Jerome Dyson under control) and can actually shoot, which during his recruitment by UConn was supposedly his flaw. The kid has a very nice stroke and is a very aggressive player. Basically a souped up, controlled version of Dyson.

ADVERTISEMENT