ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA sets June 1 date for D-I return of FB and BB......

"Akok has been on campus, the best place for his rehab, throughout the entire coronavirus pandemic. He’s been joined recently by a couple of teammates, James Bouknight and Josh Carlton (who recently returned home), with whom he can play video game, watch TV and hang out.......UConn trainer Doran did note that Dr. Martin O’Malley, who performed Akok’s surgery (as well as Kevin Durant’s) said he has no problem with Akok returning in November or December if he’s cleared and ready to go....“If, from a rehab standpoint, we get him back to playing elite basketball and the surgeon is giving the green light, then I’m good with that,” said Doran. “But we’re not gonna rush him back just to meet that timeline.”

Here's a full read:

"Akok has been on campus, the best place for his rehab, throughout the entire coronavirus pandemic. He’s been joined recently by a couple of teammates, James Bouknight and Josh Carlton (who recently returned home), with whom he can play video game, watch TV and hang out.......UConn trainer Doran did note that Dr. Martin O’Malley, who performed Akok’s surgery (as well as Kevin Durant’s) said he has no problem with Akok returning in November or December if he’s cleared and ready to go....“If, from a rehab standpoint, we get him back to playing elite basketball and the surgeon is giving the green light, then I’m good with that,” said Doran. “But we’re not gonna rush him back just to meet that timeline.”

Here's a full read:

Kevin Durant is now a year post his injury and he is not coming back this season, although the NBA remaining season will not start until July 31:

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/29273001/kevin-durant-rules-remainder-2019-20-season-best-wait

Given Durant's timeline on his recovery, I think we need to pump the brakes on any notion we will see Akok before February. I think there is just as good a chance as not that Akok will not play next season at all. Fortunately the depth exists to absorb his absence, and it could mean ripping the possible redshirt off of JBF.

Last edited:
Kevin Durant is now a year post his injury and he is not coming back this season, although the NBA remaining season will not start until July 31:
Given Durant's timeline on his recovery, I think we need to pump the brakes on any notion we will see Akok before February. I think there is just as good a chance as not that Akok will not play next season at all. Fortunately the depth exists to absorb his absence, and it could mean ripping the possible redshirt off of JBF.
The one X-factor IIRC from reading early on regarding Akok and this type of injury (Achilles).... Is that he's 11 years younger than Durant. Alot of the talk from some doctors was that this injury is more likely to older athletes from years of stress, but Akok may almost be a test case to see how he recovers, as a much younger patient.

I remember the same theory of the younger athlete healing better was being discussed when Omar Calhoun had a hip surgery similar to what Alex Rodriguez had at an advanced age. Unfortunately Omar was never the same player after his surgery. I hope Akok can recover but it's a very serious injury that he had. I have a buddy who partially tore his Achilles' tendon sliding into second base and it ended his baseball career. Hopefully Akok can make it back some time during the next season but fortunately UConn has the depth to play without him. His shot blocking will be missed.

True on the depth being a saving grace as far as the team goes...found some quotes:

Dr. Lawrence Berson, a foot and ankle surgeon at Middlesex Orthopedic Surgeons, said it’s no coincidence that this injury often seems to strike basketball players. “The conclusion is they don’t come back the same," Berson said. "Unfortunately, and it doesn’t mean everyone, it’s an injury that you don’t 100 percent recover from.”

Then again, Berson noted, that study examined professional players with an average age of about 30. Akok is only 20, much younger than the typical Achilles patient.......“His prognosis might be a little better because he’s younger. He may be able to bounce back,” Berson said. “He may make a full recovery — I’m not saying no one makes a full recovery, just in this study they didn’t come back as strong.”
Dr. Ware said Akok could face some enhanced risk of re-tearing his Achilles, while Berson said he isn’t sure if that is the case. Both doctors emphasized that different Achilles patients have different experiences and no outcome is a sure thing. "

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT