ADVERTISEMENT

Montez Mathis?

This a joke?
No sir but I understand your response.

I was texting with someone close to Mathis, his family and his recruitment and he told me that it will be Rutgers.

I was surprised as well but I trust the info I received.

I was texting with someone close to Mathis, his family and his recruitment and he told me that it will be Rutgers.

Ouch....

Wow . If true this is awful .

Don't worry Husky fans, KO's got Chill on this...or Killings..... or.....

What is the matter with some of you guys??????? His own quotes to the press suggested he was headed to Rutgers. I assume you guys either chose not to read them or else do not read. And I think Russ Wood's info, from a neutral source who doesn't care if UConn gets him or not, is more credible than anything else posted here. We have too many threads here with posts that are just nonsense speculation with no basis in facts.

Reactions: the Blades
What is the matter with some of you guys??????? His own quotes to the press suggested he was headed to Rutgers. I assume you guys either chose not to read them or else do not read. And I think Russ Wood's info, from a neutral source who doesn't care if UConn gets him or not, is more credible than anything else posted here. We have too many threads here with posts that are just nonsense speculation with no basis in facts.
Or maybe that the crystal ball got 12 new predictions all for UConn.

Gotta love the crystal ball... it's a fan favorite nationwide...:D:D:D

From his quotes they both love Pikiell. He is a lovable guy. He was a gritty player for UConn and now looks like he has become a very good head Coach. And proven. Anyway the comments about Rutgers and Pikiell are the only known facts about where he is leaning. Couple that with Russ's generally solid intel and there is no reason, outside of nonsensical wishful speculation, to suggest he will commit to UConn. That doesn't mean he won't, it just means he is a Rutgers lean. Posts suggesting otherwise are simply fantasy land. This is the real world not a Bugs Bunny cartoon.

Have been told that mom wants Rutgers. AAU (an Adidas sponsored program) wants UConn (a Nike sponsored program). Kid is torn.

Have been told that mom wants Rutgers. AAU (an Adidas sponsored program) wants UConn (a Nike sponsored program). Kid is torn.

Why would an AAU Adidas sponsored program want him to go to a Nike school and not an Adidas school?

Last edited:
Why would an AAU Adidas sponsored program want him to go to a Nike school and not an Adidas school?
Been wondering the same thing, but that is what I'm told.

Rutgers just switched to Adidas on July 1 so maybe Team BBC doesn't know or maybe they're just attempting to steer the kid towards the better basketball brand...or maybe it's both.

Mama wants her boy to stay closer to their Maryland home, which is what New Jersey is. I think this is a main reason why the Swami's CB is 68% to 32% in favor of Rutgers. As far as Adidas or Nike being involved in the recruitment of an athlete, I find it to be very distasteful. I understand the money that comes with corporate sponsorship and that UConn is playing in Phil Knight's tournament (as sacrificial lamb for Oregon, I might add), but branding is an awfully bad reason to make a college decision IMHO.

It could just be that someone at Team BBC has a really good relationship with Coach Chill and, as a result, think that the kid will be looked after better at UConn.

I haven't been told that but it is certainly plausible. I'm still tryna fish it out.

Well, sounds like he's torn. Not an easy decision for a young man who is prob being pulled in diff directions. Guess we'll have to wait a little longer for his decision. Good for him.

Gotta tell ya though, all these guys directly tweeting him is tasteless...from both RU & UC. Can only hurt our chances if UC folks are tweeting him. Even if it's just to say good luck. Let's call a spade a spade. If ur tweeting an 18 yo directly it's cuz u want him to see ur a husky fan or Scarlet a knights fan. Sorry if I'm offending anyone of my UC brothers but that's how I feel.

What's the big concern for a kid rated #86 in the country ? I think he should listen to his mom and keep the "fam" happy...and forget all this internet chatter...

Delaying his decision. Smart move, particularly if he's considering committing to a coach who's life depends on the upcoming season.

“We have to win,” the coach acknowledged. “I can’t keep going 16-17. We all know that.”

When I got home from a football practice I had a chance to look at Mathis' Tweet. I noticed something that made me do a little investigating.

If you look closely at the graphic that Mathis Tweeted you will notice that "@tipton.edits" is nowhere to be found in the graphic.

I posted in a thread on the Rutgers site that Joseph Tipton told me that he did an edit for Mathis "about a week ago."

I just asked Tipton about the graphic that Mathis Tweeted today and he said "He must've had a last second change of heart because it (the Tipton edit) was UCONN... lol."

That further confirms that things changed in the past several days moving Mathis away from Connecticut and to Rutgers.

Reactions: munson15
The Ollie/Chill/Kill dream team must lead the country in finishing second in recruiting battles. They're also on the leaderboard getting UConn on the final 5/8/10 list of recruits who go someplace else. They're far and away the leaders at being stunned when a recruit they think they had in the fold changes course and goes somewhere else at the last minute.

The problem with coming in second so often is that these are recruits that the staff was serious about, and obviously they invested a lot of time in that recruitment effort. You don't get that time back, and when they miss, they find themselves in the position of going back to plan B (or C or D) and having to play catch-up with recruiting those guys. I'm wondering if the staff is just targeting the wrong players out of the gate. Either that or there are more serious, deeply rooted problems with the program which none of us want to contemplate.

When I got home from a football practice I had a chance to look at Mathis' Tweet. I noticed something that made me do a little investigating.

If you look closely at the graphic that Mathis Tweeted you will notice that "@tipton.edits" is nowhere to be found in the graphic.

I posted in a thread on the Rutgers site that Joseph Tipton told me that he did an edit for Mathis "about a week ago."

I just asked Tipton about the graphic that Mathis Tweeted today and he said "He must've had a last second change of heart because it (the Tipton edit) was UCONN... lol."

That further confirms that things changed in the past several days moving Mathis away from Connecticut and to Rutgers.

Mom must've really had something against Uconn .

ADVERTISEMENT