ADVERTISEMENT

MBB sessions

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
"Isaiah Whaley remembers the mood around the UConn men's basketball program during his freshman season. It was nothing like it is now as Whaley along with Josh Carlton and Tyler Polley prepare for their senior seasons. “It was just like a dark mood,”..............“This is a team where everybody is together and everybody is on the same page,” Whaley said. “You don’t have people going against what the coach is saying and stuff. Coach Hurley, as soon as he came in, his main thing was working on the culture. We have a strong culture now where we hold each other accountable.

... We didn’t have that back in the early years where if somebody took like four messed up shots in a row, nobody would hold them accountable. Nobody would say anything. (are you listening KO !) Now we’ve got a team where we’re all close and call each other out.”

WOW, Thanks for speaking the truth Isaiah.....this is exactly what the KO apologists never saw....and thank you Coach Hurley for turning this back in the direction to what " winning BB" is supposed to look like !

FULL READ:

Last edited:
“I’m just trying to get leaner, be quicker, get explosive, get off the ground quicker, be able to move and react quicker on defense,” Carlton said during a Zoom call with reporters on Monday......“Maybe I had a little bit too much weight,” Carlton reasoned. “I’m just trying to find a weight that’s comfortable for me. I think it will help me out, being in a shape I’m comfortable with.”

Last edited:
Also.... Richie "with the" Springs...2 feet over the rim and Jalen too at 15lbs heavier :) ( click images to enlarge)

springs-jpeg.57794

641461f3-e3b5-4be0-b3c2-c259e619d7a0-jpeg.57775

Last edited:
AKOK at 17lbs heavier....

Ed-tjUJXoAoyuiP

JAMES at 15 lbs heavier:
Ed-tjULWsAI3kKW

Last edited:
Impressive body work and much needed. Let's hope it translates to better production for Bouknight, Akok and Gaffney.

With all the work the fellows are doing in the gym, new S & C coach Michael Rehfeldt ( Uconn Bio) gives the top dog award to Tyler...... who came to Uconn as a 190 lb FR and is now 215 going into his SR year ( plus had to grind coming back from an ACL injury ):

Last edited:
Good photo work Blades. Sanogo has some broad shoulders! That does not look like a body that will allow rebounds to easily be snatched away!

Thoughts and quotes from first official practice :

Courant:
" With no pandemic, Friday would have been First Night for both the men’s and women’s programs.....Instead, the Huskies drilled down on offensive set plays, transition offense and man-to-man defense in the full and halfcourt. They spent about 40 minutes on live, 5-on-5 basketball. “I feel like it’s very, very important for us to play as much basketball, 5-on-5 as we can,” Hurley said, “as much live scrimmage as we can, because these guys haven’t played 5-on-5 since March. ".......“I don’t think we’re going to put anyone on the court that the other team won’t have to guard.” he said. “… We can play and match up with all the different styles we’re going to see. I think we’re equipped for a lot of different styles.”

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT