ADVERTISEMENT

Makai Ashton-Langford

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
There was a lot of talk on this board about losing this kid to Providence a couple years ago, but it seems like he can't play. He averaged 4.2 ppg last year in 13 minutes a game and this year he is getting 2.0 ppg in 10 minutes. For his Providence career, he has made 3-32 3 pointers (10.6%) and his FG shooting is also bad (shooting 25% this year, down from 37% last year):

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/4278574

His assist numbers also are not good, as he is getting 1.8 assists per 30 minutes of action, totals that will not exactly make anyone call him a dime dealer.

Finally FTs: 52.4% last year- for a guard that is abominable. I don't recall any UConn guard ever posting such a low number.

He is literally the last guy on their bench in the game tonight against BC, which is in OT.

Last edited:
I had all that covered about his bad shooting 2 years ago in this thread: Makai Ashton-Langford
(ps I also mentioned that I hoped KO was after a kid in one of MALs' video's..the kids name ?....Sidney Wilson)

....plus I made this little observation when everyone was discussing KO losing MAL : " if KO was to pull a rabbit out of his hat & land (Tremont) Waters instead. He would create a very smallish backcourt mix.... but his skill set and shooting seems to be light years ahead of MAL's. " So I'm not surprised at all , he was a terrible shooter when KO recruited him.

Last edited:
In 2 minutes of action last night in PC's win over BC, MAL had 0 points, 0 rebounds, 0 assists and 2 turnovers.

Looking at the other guys UConn lost under KO- Steven Enoch averaging 18 minutes, 9 ppg and 3.7 rpg while starting for Louisville; Juwan Durham 11 minutes, 5.5 ppg and 3.3 rpg off the bench for Notre Dame; and Vance Jackson, who seems to be the best of KO's "lost boys", is averaging 26 mpg, 13.0 ppg, 7.0 rpg while shooting a blistering 44.8% from 3 point range which, incredibly, is only good enough for second on his U of New Mexico team, behind leading scorer Anthony Mathis, who is draining 3s at a 55.8% clip.

Last edited:
Blades,

Someone, I do not remember who, had defended the criticism of MAL's shooting by saying that his ability to attack the rim was so elite that on the college level it wouldn't be stopped and it would allow him to slowly develop his shooting. However his stats show he is not dealing assists, scoring or shooting, He has 4 assists and 13 TOs on the season, and Cooley is playing him less and less and less. These are not even the stats of a scholarship D-1 player, they look to me like walk on type stats.

Well there were alot of people on this board that were all in with KO and his 2 new replacement ASST's that were supposed to bring Uconn to elite recruiting levels that Hobbs & Miller never could and remember when we asked why didn't KO find a bigmans coach ? Well I saw KO's trainwreck coming when he made those hires and took alot of crap for it from some posters. And again at the start 2 years ago when the 3 coaches sat on the bench like stiffs as they lost to mediocre teams like Wagner and Northeastern to open the season.....Funny thing is that all those KO apologists that knew so much about basketball have disappeared from this board just like Kevin's Follies have and the kids who didn't want to play for him anymore.

MAL was a top 50 recruit coming out of high school so we can’t really fault KO for recruiting the kid but at this point it looks like UConn caught a break by having him renege on his commitment. His stats really suck donkey balls. I think strangely enough KO did UConn a favor by having the firing of Miller backfire into losing this kid. It really seems like the only kid who left of the 4 that we could use back on the team now is VJ. The others are not really doing all that much. And we have good players at VJ’s position in Polley and Wilson so not even sure we neee him back either.

ADVERTISEMENT