ADVERTISEMENT

Looking Ahead To Tulsa

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Gold Member
Mar 28, 2009
We're looking forward to it. Yes, we can't throw a beach ball in the ocean. We play good defense and change up the scheme a lot during the course of a game. We rely on speed and defense to generate offense. It's an honor for us to be in a league with you guys and I have great respect for your program and its history. If any of you come, I hope you have a safe trip and if you needs recommendations on anything, let me know.

Nice of you to say such nice things about our program Tulsa fan. Watching the high and lows of our up and down program has brought great joy to our lives. I suspect most on this board would agree. I almost made a trip to Tulsa to see the game. I have an uncle that lives in clairmore (sp). Another in OKC. Instead I decided to travel to the Stanford game. Never been to SF.

By the way, I heard JC (Jim Calhoun) broadcast your last game. Was he any good? It's ok to say he stunk if that's how you feel. I'm just curious. Some of us have voiced the opinion that his accent would get in the way.

Originally posted by Gold*:
We're looking forward to it. Yes, we can't throw a beach ball in the ocean. We play good defense and change up the scheme a lot during the course of a game. We rely on speed and defense to generate offense.
UConn played a similar style in the early 1990s. Eventually UConn recruited some better offensive players, which are needed to make a deep NCAA tournament run.

I am looking forward to this game because UConn's offense needs work and I would rather play defense-minded teams that cause turnovers. Turnovers have been a problem for UConn. I think Tulsa will be a good test for UConn and we shall see what happens.

Originally posted by northdakotahusky:
By the way, I heard JC (Jim Calhoun) broadcast your last game. Was he any good? It's ok to say he stunk if that's how you feel. I'm just curious. Some of us have voiced the opinion that his accent would get in the way.
I thought he was good. I like the coaches more than the typical ESPN blowhards because they actually have insight into what I'm watching. It seems like lately, especially in football, there are more color commentators who just intend to fill up the quiet moments with meaningless words (Charles Davis, Phil Sims, Matt Millen). I'd rather hear a coach who was so successful. What I'd really like is the option to switch out audio feeds to a golf broadcast style where they just announce the basic information and maybe an option to a quality mind like Calhoun.

We had Mike Leach for a football game a couple of years back and he was similar. He knew what he was talking about, but it was dry. But that's what I'd rather hear than the gobbledygook that's out there.

Here's to an injury free game. We are a bit of a two man show these days in Harrison and Woodard. Rashad Smith was pretty good last year, but he has struggled at times in this system. There are several threads on our board about D'andre Wright's issues. He has a lot of talent, but vanishes for games at a time. We have had several games the last two seasons where he had zero rebounds, which is mind boggling for a starting center.

I haven't seen Tulsa play, but sounds like they have three decent guards. They should be tough. Our guys need to play well.

Good game, guys. I'm a big fan of Hamilton. We are hot and wanted this one really bad. It's been a long time. We'll see you soon and I'm sure it's going to be rough for us.

Clearly it was more fun getting up to play the Champs than it was getting up because you ARE the champs. Tulsa outworked us in every aspect, good team, good fans, good city, good coach, cant help but feel good for the other side.

Side note: I grew up in Broken Arrow so I am a little biased.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT