ADVERTISEMENT

Live Period Updates

aman kidwai

Staff
Apr 28, 2015

Many (including the entire Rivals national recruiting staff) believe that UConn has a solid shot with Achiuwa, who's a top 10 player in the class. Corey Evans has said that right now UConn and St. John's are the top 2 contenders, and that Achiuwa was one of many high-priority prospects to make an unofficial visit recently.

In a recent article, Achiuwa explained what he liked about the two schools currently in the lead for him:

UConn: “They are just telling me how he could help get my game to the next level. He (Dan Hurley) coached at my high school so there is a relationship there, with the school, St. Benedict’s, and he has been telling me how he could help me get to the next level and how he could prepare me for it.”

St. John’s: “My brother
played there. I am pretty familiar with the campus because of him and it is just, I know it pretty well there, so that is good.”

Last edited:
Reactions: tcf_15
CUE THE MUSIC@Cue_the_Music
Tom Moore watching Kofi Cockburn of the NY Rens v Woodz Elite #EYBL #UConn
6:43 PM - Jul 11, 2018

Vermont Academy Basketball@VTAcademyHoops
UConn, VTech, Harvard, Marquette, UMass, Dayton, St. John’s, South Carolina, GW, George Mason, Pitt, Xavier, and Syracuse now watching Tyler Bertram ‘19 (@tbert23) and the @NYRhoops on Court 4. The Rens trail early against a hot shooting @woodzelitebball. #VASummer18
6:46 PM - Jul 11, 2018

NY Rens roster:
1 Jalen Lecque G 6'4 185 Bronx, NY Christ School (NC) 2019
2 Ty Rivers G 6'5 185 Bronx, NY Monsignor Scanlan 2019
4 Kareem Reid F 6'8 210 Putnam, CT Putnam Science Academy 2020
5 Daniel Klosk G 6'1 160 New York, NY Wilbraham and Monson 2019
10 Jonathan Kuminga F 6'7 210 Congo, Africa Huntington Prep 2021
11 Nate Tabor G 6'5 200 Westbury, CT Sacred Heart (CT) 2020
15 Ethan Morton G 6'4 195 Butler, PA Butler (PA) 2020
20 Tyler Bertram G 6'4 165 Saxtons River, VT Vermont Academy 2019
21 Kofi Cockburn C 6'11 250 Middle Village, NY Christ the King 2019
33 Moussa Cisse F 7'0 210 Brooklyn, NY Christ the King 2021

Woodz Elite roster:
0 Greg Johnson F 6'4 185 Little Rock, AR Little Rock Hall 2019
1 Mylik Wilson G 6'3 160 Rayville, LA Rayville (LA) 2019
2 Terry Clardy Jr G 6'3 195 Conway, AR Conway 2019
5 Tylor Perry G 5'11 160 Springdale, AR Har-Ber 2019
10 Collin Moore G 6'4 180 North Little Rock, AR North Little Rock 2019
11 Curtis White G 6'5 180 Little Rock, AR Parkview 2018 SMU
12 Michael Shanks F 6'6 195 Bentonville, AR Bentonville 2019
20 Decorey Watkins G 5'10 Little Rock, AR North Little Rock (AR) 2019
23 Akol Mawein F 6'8 180 Little Rock, AR SW Christian 2019
25 Collin Cooper G 6'2 175 Fayetteville, AR Fayetteville 2019
31 Austin Crowley G 6'6 180 West Point, MS West Point 2019
34 Jason Jitoboh F 6'11 270 Abuja, Nigeria Hamilton Heights (TN) 2019
35 Chris Moore F 6'6 220 West Memphis, AR West Memphis 2020

Last edited:
CUE THE MUSIC@Cue_the_Music
Tom Moore now watching Expressions Elite v City Rocks #EYBL #UConn
8:04 PM - Jul 11, 2018

Vermont Academy Basketball@VTAcademyHoops
@JakeCook23 ‘20 and Symir Torrence ‘20 (@EGB_ST4) now on the floor for @TheCityRocks. On the sideline watching: Notre Dame, Louisville, Michigan, West Virginia, GW, Syracuse, South Carolina, Villanova, La Salle, VCU, UConn, and many more. #VASummer18
8:18 PM - Jul 11, 2018

Expressions Elite roster:
0 Daniel Buie G 6'2 160 Troy, NY Gould Academy (ME) 2019
1 Dyondre Dominguez F 6'8 190 Providence, RI New Hampton 2020
2 Alonzo Linton G 6'5 180 Lynn, MA English 2019
4 Preston Santos F 6'6 190 Warwick, RI Brooks School 2019
5 Terrence Clarke G 6'6 185 Boston, MA Rivers School 2021
11 Noah Fernandes G 6'0 175 Mattapoisett, MA Tabor Academy 2019
15 Rivaldo Soares G 6'5 180 Roxbury, MA O'Bryant 2019
23 Joe Pridgen F 6'5 180 Newbury, MA Governor's Academy 2019
30 Bas Leyte F 6'10 210 The Netherlands New Hampton 2019
33 Tre Mitchell F 6'9 250 Woodstock, CT Woodstock Academy 2019

City Rocks roster:
1 August Mahoney G 6'4 170 Albany, NY Albany Academy 2019 Yale
3 Mika Adams-Woods G 6'3 185 Syracuse, NY New Hampton 2019
4 Symir Torrence G 6'4 185 Syracuse, NY Vermont Academy 2020
5 Andre Jackson G 6'7 175 Albany, NY Albany Academy 2020
8 Myles Wilmoth F 6'9 205 Chestnut Ridge, NY St. Andrew's School 2020
10 Noah Hutchins G 6'0 165 Buffalo, NY The Park School 2019
11 Joseph Girard III G 6'2 170 Glens Falls, NY Glen Falls 2019
12 Miles Brown G 6'0 165 Rochester, NY Northstar Christian 2019
12 Dior Johnson G 6'1 160 Saugerties, NY Montverde, FL 2022
13 Gerald Drumgoole F 6'6 210 Rochester, NY Irondequoit 2019
15 Xavier Mayo F 6'8 215 Wappingers Falls, NY The Hill School 2019
23 Jake Cook F 6'9 180 Latham, NY Shaker 2019
32 Andrew Delaney G 6'6 200 Mullica Hill, NJ Blair Academy 2019
33 Isaiah Stewart II F 6'9 250 Rochester, NY La Lumiere 2019

Last edited:

Precious Achiuwa was driving to the basket at will today. Dan Hurley was seen in attendance along with the head coaches from St. John's and Pitt.

Reactions: aman kidwai

Another "monster morning" from Precious Achiuwa, the five-star, top-ten recruit that seems to be favoring UConn at the moment. Per Corey Evans, head coaches of St. John's and Georgetown were seen in attendance; none other than NBA legends Chris Mullen and Pat Ewing, respectively.

And here’s a quick inside-outside highlight from yesterday:

Last edited:

Four-star shooting guard Reggie Watts has officially narrowed his choices down to eight schools. UConn joins Florida State, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Missouri, Oregon and Xavier on the list. Watts could provide an excellent compliment to fellow incoming freshman Brendan Adams in the back court.

According to the Rivals player profile, UConn's chances were second behind top-choice Mississippi State, however Miss St didn't make the top-eight cut.

Wouldn't be coming until 2020, but UConn just made an offer to 6'10", four-star center Mark Williams. UConn now joins a growing stack of offers that include Vanderbilt, Minnesota, NC State and more.

This offer is comes on the tail of his performance in The Gauntlet, where UConn Assistant Head Coach Tom Moore was in attendance.

Looks like UConn is keeping a close eye on 6'8", four-star small forward Jaiden Delaire. He's a Connecticut native who's been stirring up interest from schools like Duke, UCLA, Georgetown and Virginia. Currently a member of the Class of 2019, Delaire could be making a move to the Class of 2018 following this summer.

In a Rivals article by Corey Evans, Delaire discusses his plans for the rest of summer:

"I want to visit Duke, Virginia, UCLA and Stanford. I am going to visit some of the schools out on the West Coast next month since I was invited to the Steph Curry Camp. I have talked with Coach K and I already visited Duke, I have gone around at UNC, and I also want to get down to Georgetown."

With some heavy hitters in the mix, this would be a huge score for the Huskies, especially with him being a homegrown talent. Speaking about UConn back in June, Delaire said the following:

"Coach (Dan) Hurley visited me at school easlier this year and Coach (Tom) Moore texts me a lot. I talk to them pretty often. Everyone knows that's where I'm from, and that plays a role as well. I like Coach Hurley and his staff."

We'll keep a close eye on any updates.

Update on Lester Quinones:

In an article by Pat Lawless for prepcircuit.com, Quinones discussed his relationship with Precious Achiuwa and the possibility of them teaming up in the future. It seems, whichever school lands Precious will likely land Lester and vice versa. UConn is one of the schools pushing hard for this dynamic duo.

Quinones: "UConn is another school recruiting me hard. They used to come to all of our practices at St. Benedict's with me and Precious. Kimani (Young) and Coach Dan Hurley would go so they would talk to us about playing together. That's another great school."

His mom is pushing hard for St. John's - so he'll be close to home - but UConn is at least in the same region. It seems like UCLA, Kansas, Oregon and Arizona would have a tougher time landing Quiones for this very reason.

But the main focus appears to be player development:

Quinones: "I'm looking at player development and what's going to get me to the next level past college. I'll be looking at player development and people at my position who used to go there to see how they started and finished at school."

Update on Kofi Cockburn:

Apparently, Kofi Cockburn plans on cutting his list down to 12 schools in the "near future". UConn has shown interest in the massive five-star center, but there's a lot of competition for his attention these days.

In a media scrum at the Peach Jam, Cockburn said that Kansas has been sending "all the coaches, three times a week, four times a week." Kentucky could be a tempting offer as well with Coach John Calipari allegedly telling Cockburn that he "improved a lot since (his) freshman year and that (he) should look into coming to Kentucky."

We could be waiting a while on an official announcement, but I'd expect to see UConn make it into the top-12 cut. More on that when information becomes available.

Four-star, 6'2" point guard Isaiah Wong is announcing his top five schools on July 29th. UConn could have an outside chance at making the list.

Last edited:
UConn has shown some interest in 6'2", Class of 2019 PG Jalen Gaffney. Hailing from Westtown, PA. The combo guard has drawn special interest from Florida, who has already scheduled an official visit, but seems to have UConn on a short list of interest.

He's at the Elite Session II this weekend and UConn coaches are watching.

Another day, another offer. This time, it's 6'2" three-star point guard Al-Amir Dawes.

The Rivals database currently lists four other schools of interest for Dawes and all five schools have made offers to the New Jersey native. The list includes Clemson, DePaul, Minnesota and Rutgers, in addition to the new offer from Connecticut.

Al-Amir Dawes is part of the Class of 2019, as the UConn staff continues to push for a solid recruiting class both this year and next.

Akok Akok has been an early priority target for the Huskies, but it seems there are some familiar foes in the mix. Syracuse Head Coach Jim Boeheim is in attendance at the Adidas Summer Championship in California, in addition to assistant coaches from Georgetown and Maryland.

The 6' 9" power forward is a Connecticut native and is currently listed as a four-star recruit on the Rivals database. He's a defensive presence and a rangy shooter for his size, a good two-way player at PF.

[Update on Isaiah Wong]

Isaiah Wong, who spent his weekend at Elite Camp and Summer Jam Fest, had this to say about the UConn coaching staff that has been active in recruiting him:

“I have a good relationship with (UConn) too. They call a lot and they just want to know how my family is doing. They show up to games and they really want me there."

As previously reported, Wong is still planning on cutting his top schools down to five on July 29th. An official commitment is expected sometime in the winter.

The highlights below are a couple months old but do a good job of showing Wong's skill and athleticism. Worth a watch.

Five-star priority recruit Precious Achiuwa dropped 32 points at New Heights this weekend. UConn was in attendance, continuing to push for a commitment from the highly sought-after power forward out of Newark.

Check out the highlights from the 32 point performance below:

UConn: “They said that I would fit into their system very well. They want to build a big 2019 class and get the culture back there. They are very involved of late, especially with their players, and he (Dan Hurley) is just so involved in every single thing that they do, whether it is academics, getting into the weight room, or getting onto the floor. They are just a great coaching staff and about getting their guys better.”

After tearing his left meniscus in January, four-star shooting guard James Bouknight seems to be returning to his old self, dropping 33 points this past Saturday in a showcase game for the PSA Cardinals.

He had this to say about UConn after the performance: "I like UConn a lot, but I still haven't decided to make any decisions yet. I'm just keeping my recruitment wide open."

Well that's better than not liking UConn a lot, right? It may not be the most convincing endorsement, but the 6'5" shooting guard out of of NYC has consistently shown interest in joining the Huskies. We'll have to take a closer look as the story progresses.

ADVERTISEMENT