ADVERTISEMENT

Keys to winning against Syracuse

Afghusky15

Jun 13, 2016
Somethings I would like to see from the players for the cuse game:

Kentan: first I thought he played really well against BU. Offensively he is the big I trust most with the ball. I hope that he can come up big with good shots and passes from in and around the free throw line to help attack syracuses zone. I'm also hoping he can come up with some key offensive rebounds.

Jalen: I think he is our most talented player but he plays too soft. Only two stats I'll be keeping track of for him: 1) how many fast break points did he score or facilitate or 2) how many times did he get to the line. He really needs to be more physical in his drives to the hoop. Less euro steps and floaters more shoulder on his drives.

Brimah: rebounding, rebounding, rebounding. Hoping he gives us at least 8.

Purvis: his play has been disappointing so far this season, but I thought he showed flashes of how good he can be during BU game. When he drove to the rim he created good shots for his teammates primarily the bigs and in the second half he came up with some big boy boards. I hope he starts shooting less 3s and starts taking advantage of his physical strength to overpower most opposing guards. Good things happen when he drives it strong to the rim (with his right hand).

CV: more assists and less turnovers. He had one assist to 4 turnovers last game. Take the open three when it's there and continue to provide solid defense.

Enoch: simply rebounding.

Jackson: smart shots and to help on the boards.

Juwan: hope he gets more playing time and takes advantage of the time he gets. He is talented hopefully it translates to more playing time and more of an impact on games.

That's a pretty good pregame analysis Afghusky. Biggest keys to this game though are moving the ball without turnovers, getting open shots and making 3s. UConn has not shot well from outside at all this year.

As far as hardening up these guys on rebounds and driving the lane and drawing fouls, I don't know what can be done to toughen the team up. I kind of always felt guys are tough or not, that it is not so much a learned trait as a hereditary or constitutional one.

Last edited:
Syracuse struggled at home today to beat the 3-6 North Florida Ospreys who managed to outrebound Syracuse 41-33. NFU just could not make enough 3s against the zone although they shot a bunch: 11-39. Final Syracuse 77, NFU 71.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/boxscore?gameId=400915277

Syracuse give up a lot of offensive rebounds. As I mentioned in my OP, this is Kentan's game to shine and show us how good he can be. Looking forward to the game.

Reactions: Ozzie3178
Agree Kentan and Brimah have to be men!!

Also Purv has to stop playing timid and if his shot is not falling then make it up with solid D and few rebounds.

From what I read, Syracuse had a real problem when they went to their bench in that game. This is a game where UConn having the deeper roster they started the season with might have helped them. But there are only 8 scholarship guys so they have to step up. Especially the 3 seniors.

I say take advantage of the second amendment and come packing.

Our gritty teams that were limited talent wise in the past would grind a game like this out and win 62-59.

Reactions: UconNell
That read like a really bad HS girls JV game, but it's a step forward. Lets build on it.

Rodney is flawed squared, but hope this gives him some confidence. We need him to make shots.

Facey is playing really hard. He would have been a nice role guy off the bench on our good teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT