ADVERTISEMENT

Just Cause?

I wonder how the NCAA came by the information that caused this investigation? These things usually are not self-reported.

One can only hope that UCONN has a provision in Kevin Follie's contract that terminates it if he commits NCAA violations resulting in the program being put on probation.

If that's the case I root for probation.

Not only can he not coach or recruit, apparently he can't follow the rules of recruiting either.

Fire KO

This just in

Kevin Ollie is now in his sixth season as coach and in the second year of a five-year $17.9 million contract that can be voided for "just cause," including NCAA violations.

I wonder if UCONN is pressing this as a means to terminate KO.
If so it would be brilliant

http://www.courant.com/sports/uconn...nn-men-ncaa-investigation-20180126-story.html

From the article:

“Sources told The Courant the NCAA has already conducted roughly 100 hours of interviews with coaches, players and staffers, past and present, and other outside individuals. Those interviews have picked up in pace over the last week or so, and the inquiry includes the recruitment of at least three players, though not necessarily players who eventually came to UConn. The NCAA, which has not responded to a request for comment, compels interviewees not to comment.”

I was hoping that the worst case scenario had something to do with Wilson leaving St. John’s for UConn. Now there are three players, and they may not have come to UConn to boot. Does anyone doubt UConn will get hammered to the biggest extent possible by the NCAA?

I didn’t think it could get any worse for UConn after last season but it has. The last two seasons have just been bad news after bad news, bad performance after bad performance on the Court and now off the Court there are issues.

I am sure it’s hard to recruit kids to the AAC, and to sell it, but when is it going to end?

If this doesnt end quickly look for our recruits to bail QUICKLY. The end is near fella's, I just hope before I die there is a resurgence of UCONN sports. Geno is close to being gone and so will the championships.......it was an AMAZING run while it lasted.

The recruits are gone either way. Nobody good will want to play for Ollie. Let the next guy up either try to keep them or replace them. Ollie is done, and we’re better off for it.

Just Cause:
Missing the tournament 4 out of the last 5 seasons. A lucky halfcourt shot away from it being 5 years in a row
Players transferring out with 3 years of eligibility left
Never finishing better than 5th regular season in the AAC
Declining home attendance
6 losses by 20+ points in 1 season and we havent hit February yet

Fire this incompetence NOW

None of those things constitute just cause. What you left out was the one thing that might constitute just cause: NCAA recruiting violations.

Jeff Jacobs: For UConn men, ‘vibes’ good, results bad

One of the recruits is Zach Brown ? I called red flag on him right from the start...but the NCAA has time to worry about kids like this ?

"UConn is guilty of nothing at this point and, right now, it is difficult to know the breadth of the inquiry and the severity of any potential violations. The Hartford Courant reported, according to its sources, there were roughly 100 hours of interviews with individuals potentially involved and the inquiry includes the recruitment of at least three players, though not necessarily players who eventually came to UConn.

According to Hearst Connecticut Media sources, the inquiry is looking at the recruitment of at least five such players. Again these are questions, not convictions, and each circumstance could have varying degrees of veracity.

According to multiple sources, Zach Brown’s recruitment is among those in the inquiry.
The 7-foot Miami native, once ranked No. 35 nationally by ESPN in his class, de-committed from UConn in 2016 and signed with St. John’s. After one of his multiple arrests, St. John’s released Brown from his letter of intent early in 2017. Brown is currently in prison for violating parole.

Michael Lipman, Brown's former legal guardian, told Dave Borges of Hearst Connecticut Media the NCAA has not contacted him regarding Brown's recruitment by UConn. He told Borges that UConn's compliance office was diligent in making sure the school's recruitment of Brown was on the up-and-up. According to Lipman, the school determined former UConn player Boo Willingham's mentor-like relationship with Brown wasn’t a conflict of interest since that relationship had started when Brown was in sixth grade. Had it started when Brown was a seventh-grader or later, it could have been an issue."

Brown never played at UConn (or any NCAA school), apparently sucked at basketball and was a problem child at multiple high or Prep schools he attended. Lipman bet a lot of money on him and lost big time. Seems like a complete waste of time, but there were huge red flags on the kid from the beginning. Even his supposed conversion to Judaism was a red flag to me, not because I have any issue with Judaism but the backstory sounded objectively bizarre. But this points out what utter failure Kevin Ollie has had recruiting big men, between the ones he got and the ones he lost.

although my gut tells me this is gonna be a minimal infraction, it is interesting that it may affect 5 recruits if i read correctly. Either way, & i’m sure it’s been said in this thread, it’s a killer at this point for the huskies.

Glen Miller, where are u?

Just have a feeling Sid Wilson is one of the other 5, and St. John's is the source on that info. Maybe a coincidence, but SJU also recruited Brown.

If Boo Willingham was a point of suspicion, then whoever else he was involved in recruiting. This can't be Josh Nochimson all over again, can it?

Glen Miller, where are u?

Let's have a quick refresher on the last time he got blamed for Kevin's incompetence.

He got fired for a level 5 recruiting wizzard from planet "im on it next year" and now the Huskies walk into a building on game days and say things like "i didn't know we was playin Temple today"

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Did i read correctly that the investigation is on recruiting practice over the past few years? maybe the NCAA feels that since our recruiting has been so "different" than the JC era that there has to be something wrong. Maybe they want to help. If it's the past few years it can only be KO. Remember, even though the recruiting has been down there were a few years where he was in the top 2, top 3, top 5 for some big recruits. Wonder if that's the area of concern. I'm just wasting time trying to guess.

I think we are going to find out that money was funneled to the players by NBA agents through AAU coaches and other middlemen and the schools who recruited these guys essentially brought in guys who had already been paid for. The NBA agents are going to target whomever can most easily grease the wheels and steer the kid and that is usually the AAU coach.

You mean there are players (who actually do play in the NCAA) besides Nate Miles involved with sports agents & cold hard cash before the party is supposed to start ? Where have Wetzel and Emmert been ? I guess they thought the self proclaimed P-5 was off limits or didn't anyone send them an invitation ?

This is what the NCAA signed up for by having a system in which kids are encouraged to go to college for a year or two to ready their games for the NBA. The schools who recruit the top tier NBA prospect talent - basically all the ones involved in this story - have probably just brought on guys who were paid by agents before the recruitment even started in many or possibly even most cases. It sort of like jumping into a swimming pool with sharks, are you really surprised when one of them bites your ass?

Your gonna hear the same stuff Pitino said, "I Know Nothing, etc.", Sgt Schultz defenses, perhaps true in some cases, but this guy remains their Godfather and mentor:

Last edited:
I hear ya KSTW, I guess the NCAA has never worried about the sharks, since the agency works for the P-5 not the other way around...and they have always been able to do damage control on who gets bit and when. (selective punishment).
But it 's gotta suck for that shill Emmert , especially when his P-5 masters ( you know the ones he's paid to protect)...start bleeding out because there are to many sharks and they're jumping all over the place.... LOL !

Last edited:
I hope that Chillious has the Sgt. Schultz defense available to him on that bag of cash Fultz got. Because it’s gonna be a steaming pile of shit if he can’t invoke the Schultz defense.

Yes I just saw this story.........no Sgt. Schultz defense for Miller:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...dre-ayton-signing-according-fbi-investigation

If true Miller is cooked.........

People keep getting confused about what the impact of this investigation will be.
Information will continue to come out and by the end, it will be abundantly clear that EVERYONE was funneling money and paying players.
Not some people, not powerhouses, EVERYONE.
Everyone is doing this, and it has been going on for years.

Nothing will happen to Sean Miller, Tom Izzo, Calipari, Coach K or anyone else, because it cannot be stopped.

The players know they are being exploited by the universities and NCAA.
After this has concluded, the minimum age to enter the NBA will be lowered and a legal payment system will be in place for basketball and football collegiate athletics.

Correct, Calamari will feel vindicated by all of this.....UCONN has 4 titles doing it the right way. I am more proud of our school than at any other time. JC should be in a HOF all to himself if you ask me.

I know for a fact UCONN paid players in the JC era.
We are no different than anyone else, whether we get implicated in this investigation or not.
Its what was needed to be competitive in recruiting and win championships.
A sad but true reality.

The system is broken and UCONN participates just like everyone else does.

See the real fraud here is the NCAA.... they've always had 2 sets of rules, one for the group of programs in the OL' boys networks ( the UNC's, the Duke's, the SEC FB factories, Miami, Kentucky with Cal and his buddy WWW.. etc. etc. ) that they're happy to cover up for and create any ruling necessary to lessen the blow, so these programs can continue to operate and rake in the cash.

While they will tar and feather schools in their Kangaroo court who are not in the P-5 network... you know the UNLV's, the Uconn's, SMU, Alaska, (yes, Nanooks face NCAA sanctions) and Cleveland St's of the world, etc... All so the "non- profit" NCAA can give the impression of a governing agency, by throwing out a few sacrificial lambs.

But the FBI is involved now and these are illegal interstate transactions, tax evasion issues etc., etc that are all under federal investigation. Why ? ...because if the NCAA would of punished these good Ol' boy programs instead of looking the other way, the FBI wouldn't have had to waste their time on this shit storm....The NCAA can put together any committee they want but it doesn't mean squat when the feds roll in.... If the whole thing gets blown up (which it will so the P-5 can figure out new ways to control the cash, the NCAA's real job).... F#ck it..... Uconn, didn't make the club, so they're screwed either way.

Last edited:
A friend of mine who is a fellow Yankees and sports fan I attend Yankees games with refuses to watch NCAA basketball because he sees it as a “plantation” and the players as slaves who don’t get paid or share in the money derived. He is right of course, and what essentially happened is a black market developed in order to keep the players interested in playing college ball. NCAA has turned their eyes away like the monkey that sees nor hears nor speaks any evil. What is happening now is FBI is yanking off the monkey blindfolds and exposing NCAA. Totally agree with CFP and Blades posts above.

I think describing it as a plantation is probably closer to offensive than it is reality. These players actually get something out of going to school for free, if not for the education than for the exposure. For every LeBron there are 100 Rips, for every Rip there are a 1000 Kevin Ollies, and for every KO there are 10000 players who are getting a free diploma, to say the collegiate system doesn't benefit these kids is absurd.

Reactions: Steve91562
I know for a fact UCONN paid players in the JC era.
We are no different than anyone else, whether we get implicated in this investigation or not.
Its what was needed to be competitive in recruiting and win championships.
A sad but true reality.

The system is broken and UCONN participates just like everyone else does.
What players did JC pay and what makes you so sure about that?

I'm not about to out people on the internet.
It happened
It happens everywhere
It will continue to happen
There just needs to be a system put in place that recognizes college as being the minor leagues for these sports and pay these kids.

And stop forcing kids that have an obvious professional talent to go to college.
It is a silly farce

There is no program that competes at a high level in basketball or football that does not avoid the NCAA "rules" to convince players to suit up for them

I will say paying players is more rampant in basketball than football
I believe this is because it is easier to identify the "studs" and 1 player makes a bigger impact in basketball than any other sport.

The fix here is abolishing the corrupt crime syndicate that is the NCAA.

I can only hope this is the outcome of the FBI probe - that the NCAA is outed as an inept and criminal organization extorting money from its assets...........
The schools themselves are not much better................

I appreciate that you want to protect your sources, especially on the internet, but you can't just make a blanket accusation and expect this forum to coalesce around it without some kind of explanation from you, CFP. Without knowing where you're coming from tends to stretch my belief in your statement about JC. that being said, as a sophomore at UCONN I had a class with Tony Hanson and got to know him pretty well. His family was humble, with little means, yet he drove a brand new Audi. However, that was during the Dom Perno era and even back then I knew that Audi was probably his inducement to attend UCONN on a BB scholarship. He never spoke about it, but I knew the answer, without his saying so! But, to make such a statement against such a legend as JC is at UCONN, you really need to show me the money!

You see what I mean about the NCAA and the P-5 ? ....Anyone remember Ryan Boatright and how long the NCAA took to make a decision that there were no issues ? Well it's amazing how fast the NCAA can work when it's someone from the Ol' boy network :

" Michigan State sophomore forward Miles Bridges has been cleared to play in the Spartans' regular season finale at Wisconsin on Sunday.
The university took more than 24 hours to come to a decision on Bridges, but after vetting Bridges' case with the NCAA, both entities have evidently deemed his situation above board and not at risk for potential retribution from the NCAA. "

If it was Uconn... the NCAA would tell em' we'll get back to you in June !

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
ADVERTISEMENT