ADVERTISEMENT

Jeff Hathaway

Russ Wood

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Florida
I asked this question on the wrong board (football) by mistake but could somebody educate me on why Hathaway and Calhoun reportedly did not get along with each other?

@the Blades brought me up to speed on why Randy Edsall probably didn't like them and gave me a link to an article about some survey of Connecticut coaches, hat tip to him for that, but I'm specifically interested in the Calhoun-Hathaway relationship

Russ,

Hathaway had a micromanaging style as AD that rubbed many people in the athletic department the wrong away. He was ultimately fired for a number of reasons, including that one, but the most significant one was a decline in fundraising under his watch.

So you're telling me that Hathaway in Calhoun did not get along because of Hathaway is management style. Is that it?

A lot of people did not get along with Hathaway because of his management style. UConn did a review of his job performance before firing Hathaway and Calhoun was not exactly the only athletic department employee who got rubbed the wrong way. What exacerbated the relationship was the major NCAA penalties that came down due to the Nate Miles recruiting scandal in 2010 or so. Ultimately it hurt both Calhoun and Hathaway, although I think Calhoun did not feel Hathaway had his back during that ordeal and I seem to recall public statements by Hathaway that were unhelpful. Calhoun thought he was Father Flanagan due to the Caron Butler success story and decided to take on all lost souls and Miles was a lost soul and a mistake. He never played at UConn due to being expelled for an off court sexual misconduct issue, but UConn paid heavily for that recruiting fiasco.

ADVERTISEMENT