ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Carey down to three: UConn, Syracuse, Miami

I like the Ollie pitch in recruiting Carey: two point guards. It's a UConn tradition. Chris Smith and Tate George, Ollie and Sheffer, Khalid and Rickey, Taliek and Ben, Kemba and Shabazz, Shabazz and Ryan. These are facts. Come to UConn Jalen and be the next generation of point guards.

Looking at his EYBL tape and stats he looks more like a scoring guard than anything. Would be a nice backcourt compliment to Akinjo and add some height to the back court at 6' 4". Good 3pt shooter @ 43.3%, not great on FT's @ 63.2% but just 2.0 APG...in the EYBL. Kinda looks more like a Jeremy Lamb type without the wingspan and a better handle.

Jalen Carey EYBL Stats

Last edited:
His stats suggest he is just a 2 guard with a good handle...........the 2.0 assists per game kind of tell you that, but I would sign up for Jeremy Lamb Lite as a freshman. When Dom posts his assessments it is 100% based on offense (as with most posters here), but you need bigger guards who can adequately defend bigger guards. This could be an issue with this year's team defending the 3 point shot. In past years UConn with small backcourts was vulnerable to bursts of 3 point shooting, but was able offset that because teams got nothing inside against UConn. It's a bigger problem this year with no established shot blockers. You have to look at the big picture.

Reactions: Dominicfrank
yes as all of any of these kids highlights are offensive but I also look at how they move...are they fluid...........control ........and that I see very little NCAA D1 in him. Larrier is like that for me......not fuild. That doesnt mean he isnt good but what I liked about Bazz is he is ALWAYS in control and while he isnt big he is an NBA PG now. I think Boatright is someone that SHOULD be in the NBA right now and has the same skills. DD is a non-fluid guy that wont make a roster post college based on only one thing.....no control of his body which leads to poor defense.

Just my thoughts.....This kid reminds me of a Memphis guard from a couple years back.....coleman something maybe ?

Pretty sure already being one over the schollie limit hurts us more than it helps us

ADVERTISEMENT