ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Adams...

CaNOLEE

Jan 9, 2003
Can he be Tyus Jones good for us next year? Jones averaged 11.8ppg, 5.6apg, 3.5rpg and shot .417, but wasn't afraid of the big moment. It seems like Adams has a great deal of confidence as well. Thoughts?

Oh yes!! He will be counted upon at times to takeover like Jones and trust me he is a better player and of course more athletic.

Oz, is there a chance Jalen is a one and done? Jones is in some mock drafts but I think he should go back for one more year and run his team.

I've read Espn's scouting reports of both. Jones was thought to be a really smart player going into college with a great feel for the game, but more of a pass first pg. I thought he looked for his offense a lot when I watched him this year. Adams is a hair taller and looks like he can do anything he wants to on the court. ESPN thinks of him as more of a scorer and combo guard. We could probably use a little more play making.

If he's as effective as Jones was late, I see another deep run into the tourney with a veteran team around him.

Adams can more than run an offense and be a playmaker. With the amount of D-1 talent on his team..... that is what he did
most of the time from what I've seen and read. Sharing the ball was a must with the group he played with at Brewster this year,
but we'll still have to see how he adapts to the mug fests that are going on, pace, tempo, etc that is D-1 hoops right now.

All 2015's....NERR Rankings:

1 Jalen Adams 2015 6'2" Brewster Academy UConn
2 Justin Simon 2015 6'5" Brewster Academy Arizona
3 Donovan Mitchell 2015 6'2" Brewster Academy Louisville
10 Marcus Derrickson 2015 6'8" Brewster Academy Georgetown
11 Jarred Reuter 2015 6'8" Brewster Academy Virginia
12 Alex Illikainen 2015 6'8" Brewster Academy Wisconsin
14 David Crisp 2015 6'1" Brewster Academy Washington

New England Class of 2015 Rankings - Steve Enoch is Ranked # 8

This post was edited on 4/10 8:48 AM by the Blades

I don't think he will be one and done unless ofcourse we make a FF run or win it all because obviously that makes the decision easier.

We will need Jalen Adams to be more like Melo Trimble was for Maryland than Tyus Jones. Trimble took that team from the depths and saved Turgeon's job. If they sucked again this year there is no way in hell that Stone goes there (academic issues and all).

No one will be picking us to do much of anything next year and the microscope won't be nearly as magnified in the shitty AAC. Jalen will be a stud for us next year but if he puts up Tyus Jones type stats (which were very good for Duke's team), that won't mean we did much of anything with our season.

Unfortunately a lot of the turn around burden will be placed on the freshman's shoulders. I can't remember being as pumped over a PG recruit in a long time. Even Kemba didn't come in with this kind of fan fare and anticipation.

Neither Kemba nor Chris Smith did very much as freshman, I would say Bazz was a bit better and Khalid El Amin was better than all 3 as a freshman. Adams needs to produce and lead like KEA did as a freshman.

I was extremely impressed with Adams in the mixtapes I saw, particularly his athleticism, but I saw one thing that concerned me. He has a nice crossover dribble but unlike KEA and Smith, his dribble looked kind of high, the kind of stuff you don't get away with in college as well. Smith and KEA had very tight low to the ground dribbles and never got picked or had their dribble poked away. Like Blades said all these guys look good on tape, we have to see them battle-tested before making any pronouncement. If he can come in and produce like KEA did we will all be happy, but remember KEA had the best handle in UConn history and also thought the game and was clutch as clutch can come.

I think having a point forward like Daniel Hamilton will take a lot of pressure off of Jalen, especially right away. Agree with you guys that highlights don't paint the perfect picture, but it appears this kid has a lot of self confidence, something KEA had right away. I actually said before the Duke-Wisconsin game to my Duke buddy that Jones had some KEA in him as well and wasn't afraid of the moment.

Replacing Boat is no small task, but this is why I think we could be back in the final four next year.

Adams-great size and athleticism, a lot of swag. The first two months will probably be an adjustment, but he should be an impact player in the second half of the year. 10ppg and 5apg would be great, but as silk stated above, feel for the game is as important at PG as production.

Purivs-just has to play smarter. If his outside shot isn't falling, that doesn't mean sprint into the lane 100mph. Obviously he needs to make FT's and when do other things to help the team win, when he isn't scoring. Defense, rebound, hustle plays, etc... I'm thinking 13ppg, 3.5rpg and 3apg.

Hamilton-takes the next step and become the lottery pick that he is. He could really be a POY candidate with his diverse skills. I see him as a 16ppg-8rpg-4apg guy.

Facey-good athlete, good rebounder, needs to add some more strength and confidence. Has potential to be a consistent mid range shooter, just has to keep working. 6ppg and 6rpg.

Brimah-has an offseason with a healthy shoulder to work on strength to help him stay out of foul trouble. He is also developing as a guy we can goto for offense, other than alley oops from Hamilton. 12ppg, 6rpg, 3.5bpg.

Bench:
Sam-not someone that can run the team, but good energy off the bench. 5ppg, 2.5rpg, 2apg.

Cassell-he'll be better next year. He knows how to play and should become a consistent 3pt threat. 6ppg, 2apg.

Nolan-is he going to be Uncle Hilty and finally develop in year 4? Probably not, but he is a versatile athletic defender. And he did finally look a little more confident offensively in our last game. 5ppg, 3.5rpg.

Enoch-might be a bigger version of Facey. I think we bring him along slowly. 2ppg, 2rpg.

IMO that's a team that if a few guys progress, we could be in the hunt for #5.

CaNolee,

That is a reasonable optimistic projection, and I agree with most of your statements. I think Enoch could be a little better than your conservative projection. The continued development of Hamilton and Purvis and whether Adams can have a KEA like impact are the keys to the success of next year's team, which could be a Final 4 team or they could be NIT one and done again, although I think they will be closer to the former than the latter.

Khalid, I hope so on Enoch. I'm a Norwalk lifer, coached football at nhs in 2011 and my good friend is related to Steve(his older cousin is a huge Duke fan, barf).

Speaking of Norwalk and football, how is Noel Thomas doing? I met his dad a few months back and have a friend on his staff at St Luke's.

Canolee..pretty good breakdown.....
A key that I will be looking at is something Tom Izzo calls leadership and follower-ship....who's the leader ?
if it's Purvis with the ball and he continues to be a TO machine..Uconn's got problems...and will upper classmen
like Nolan, Calhoun, right on down follow or trust a FR floor leader like the Huskies did when KEA walked on to
campus from day one....

I remember KEA's swag and er...old man's game at the very first exhibition that he played and turning to my friend
and saying Uconn's gonna go to the Final Four with this kid. KEA taking over for Ricky Moore who played PG but
had poor vision and not the greatest PG skills was the Game Changer ( by UConn's Bobby Puyol's Bro')

Could Jalen be that guy ? And if he is will Purvis...especially... deffer to him and D-Ham who as you mentioned is
light years better as a playmaker/ point forward and the guy I want with the ball when the shot clock is running
down.....leadership and follower-ship ????
This post was edited on 4/11 10:25 AM by the Blades

Speaking of Norwalk and football, how is Noel Thomas doing? I met his dad a few months back and have a friend on his staff at St Luke's.
Funny you should mention that, today's the spring game and just read about him in the NHR's Uconn FB blog:
NHR- More to UConn's spring practice than quarterback

"At the last practice I went to there was some 11 on 11 and 7 on 7 work and Noel Thomas really impressed me.
He will team with three players he came in with in fellow juniors Dhameer Bradley and Brian Lemelle and
redshirt sophomore Thomas Lucas to give the starting quarterback a diverse group of wideouts. "

Adams wins Away team MVP- nice line by Enoch too playing on Home Team starting at C against Georgetown's Govan....SE had similar numbers to UNLV's Jones....

Jeff Borzello[/B]@
ESPN · 3h3 hours ago
" Jalen Adams will fit in well at UConn. Next in a long line of scoring point guards that will excel in their ball-screen offense."

254099576_bigger.jpg

Jalen Adams (UConn) also named MVP. Super creative combo guard who can pass, defend and make shots. Very interesting and underrated prospect..................... Also a fan of Tyler Lydon (Syracuse), Matt Ryan (Notre Dame),
Steve Enoch (UConn)
and Donte DiVincenzo (Villanova). College ready guys.
Box score Jordan Brand regional game :

(right click/ view image )
ByPalJ2.jpg

This post was edited on 4/18 7:31 AM by the Blades

Also read this regarding the politics in the Jordan games:

" Jalen Adams, a 6-2 guard who has committed to Connecticut, is ranked 28th in this year's class. He, too, will play in the regional game even though he's ranked ahead of nine players taking part in the national game. "

Also review of the top player's in both games from that other site:
Jalen Adams PG— UConn fans have a lot to be excited about. The Huskies may hold the most underappreciated class in the country, one that’s small on quantity but very impressive on quality.................................(cont.)

Kevin Ollie’s program.....(cont.)

Full read:
Jordan: National/Regional Top Performers

This post was edited on 4/18 8:02 AM by the Blades

Good stuff, blades. I always root for all these kids to fulfill their dreams, especially a fellow Norwalker
cool.r191677.gif

I took batting practice with former Husky walk on PJ Cochrane (2010-2012) last weekend and he is really high on Adams as well, thinks Purvis started turning the corner at the end of the year and likes Facey's potential as an offensive rebounder and a mid range shooter.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT