ADVERTISEMENT

Jalen Adams expectations for Junior year

Afghusky15

Jun 13, 2016
What do you guys expect from Jalen during his junior year? I personally believe he has all the tools to be one of the best, if not the best, PG in the country.

It will be really interesting to see how he plays with Alterique and Terry Larrier. Both of those guys can run with him and finish in transition. I really hope we can turn into a dynamic transition team with a three headed monster of Jalen, Alterique, and Larrier.

With Alterique running more of the traditional PG role, I expect Jalen to see an increase in scoring with a slight dip in assists. To me Jalen is a scoring guard who can pass. He pays best when he is looking to be aggressive with his own shot. With Alterique running point, Jalen can focus on scoring and not be hindered by getting other teammates involved.

Thoughts?

Who knows. I thought he was going to be a beast this past year but he was gassed & I'm not blaming the guy who got Bazz ready for his senior year ring. Hopefully he gets a fire lit under his ass

What do you guys expect from Jalen during his junior year? I personally believe he has all the tools to be one of the best, if not the best, PG in the country.

It will be really interesting to see how he plays with Alterique and Terry Larrier. Both of those guys can run with him and finish in transition. I really hope we can turn into a dynamic transition team with a three headed monster of Jalen, Alterique, and Larrier.

With Alterique running more of the traditional PG role, I expect Jalen to see an increase in scoring with a slight dip in assists. To me Jalen is a scoring guard who can pass. He pays best when he is looking to be aggressive with his own shot. With Alterique running point, Jalen can focus on scoring and not be hindered by getting other teammates involved.

Thoughts?
Before I can expect big things from JA in his junior year, I would hope he cleans up what I thought was a big time attitude he seemed to have towards his teammates on the court! I want him to be a leader, not a head case..Lord knows we've had too many head cases on the hardwood over the years!!

Reactions: UconNell
Before I can expect big things from JA in his junior year, I would hope he cleans up what I thought was a big time attitude he seemed to have towards his teammates on the court! I want him to be a leader, not a head case..Lord knows we've had too many head cases on the hardwood over the years!!

I agree with this to a certain extent, Jalen looked hotheaded towards teammates at times and also appeared gassed at the end of many games, but in fairness to Jalen he was forced into being the primary ballhandler when Gilbert, the anticipated primary ballhandler, went down, and Jalen was then needed to play big minutes. Despite this and the late game gassings he showed, he played well for the most part and flashed star potential, and with Gilbert back to resume primary ballhandling duties, Jalen should have a load off him as far as ballhandling responsibilities. He needs to mature as a leader of the team, but I feel like he can do it. I just don't know if he has guys inside who are prime time players, so he and Larrier will have to carry the team in scoring and we will see how that goes.

Reactions: UconNell
I agree with this to a certain extent, Jalen looked hotheaded towards teammates at times and also appeared gassed at the end of many games, but in fairness to Jalen he was forced into being the primary ballhandler when Gilbert, the anticipated primary ballhandler, went down, and Jalen was then needed to play big minutes. Despite this and the late game gassings he showed, he played well for the most part and flashed star potential, and with Gilbert back to resume primary ballhandling duties, Jalen should have a load off him as far as ballhandling responsibilities. He needs to mature as a leader of the team, but I feel like he can do it. I just don't know if he has guys inside who are prime time players, so he and Larrier will have to carry the team in scoring and we will see how that goes.
KSW, you've hit the nail on the head. I too love JA and all my Huskies, regardless!! Could AG at full strength give JA the occasional breather from ball handling duties to allow a chance for him to show off his skills? With a healthy TL this could make us all forget these last few months, or so it seems, of bad news. Lets all hope the coaching staff had better insight on our bigs recruits than we did. The interior play may surprise!!

Jalen is the X-factor, he has to be Shabazz or Kemba to save these coaches and this season. He had more BB IQ than half his team combined, so I saw frustration. And don't forget Shabazz had the same edge with his team mates that you need from a leader, because you certainly don't get it on the sidelines from KO while he sits there like a statue watching mistake after mistake way to many times..... that is until the game derails following a typical 20 point swing that his teams like to give up.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
My additional expectations....JALEN !!!!....STAY OFF THOSE F#CKIN SCOOTERS !!!

Unless he was trashed then good job jalen lol.

Screw trying to get paid I guess. I'm calling it right now, suspended for Colgate, unrealized potential and he's gassed at the end of every game despite a 2 year warning that he's got to be ready to play for 40.

KO gone by January.

Suspended from practice, lol, unbelievable. This is a no-brainer Kevin.

Apparently jalen and a couple others blast around campus on these things, how is that permissible? Does the coaching staff not know their team is racing scooters around campus?

Amore from the Courant has to do a better job of adding the facts to his story:

More from AP report from ESPN:.....Jalen Adams of UConn charged with leaving scene of scooter crash
"Police say the 21-year-old junior was among four men who were racing their scooters on campus Wednesday night when the one Adams was operating hit the back of another. Police say Adams left the broken scooter at the scene and hopped on the back of another. No injuries were reported. Police say they located Adams, the other men and the three other scooters at a local business."

Last edited:
Amore from the Courant has to do a better job of adding the facts to his story
Looks like Amore finally added a bunch more to his first story I linked above...

Adams was not injured in the crash, and Ollie was relieved about that. But, as several of the Huskies players have scooters, he planned to address safety. He wouldn’t say if he plans to ban scooters.

“You’ve got to address that with the team,” Ollie said, “anything can happen, a crash can happen. So we address that with the team, how to handle the situation better. … It’s serious. They’ve got to understand it’s serious and crashes happen you need to wear helmets, and that it can be something dangerous. Hopefully he learns from it, all our players learn from it.”

Uunrealized potential and he's gassed at the end of every game despite a 2 year warning that he's got to be ready to play for 40.KO gone by January.

I agree with you that he looks gassed every game (including the exhibition against PC, I was like WTF?) but I disagree that it is all the coaches' fault. At some point for a player to realize his potential, which I agree he hasn't, he has to work for it. He doesn't seem like a Kemba type worker. Nobody told Kemba to work and play harder, he just did. This story makes me think Jalen is more interested in enjoying college life than he is improving himself as a basketball player. He should be working in the gym and not fooling around racing scooters. It's fortunate he did not get hurt. Jay Williams ruined his career doing the same shit on a motorcycle, suffering massive injuries from which he never recovered.

He should be suspended IMHO for one game.

I agree with you, I don't think its Kevin's fault but I do think Kevin's job is tethered to jalen' s ability to carry the team. He's not focused & I'm not expecting that his work ethic magically appeared over the summer. I do not know what Kevin is thinking not banning the scooters.

This story makes me think Jalen is more interested in enjoying college life than he is improving himself as a basketball player. He should be working in the gym and not fooling around racing scooters. It's fortunate he did not get hurt.
True, maybe this is a wake-up call for the entire team and they all got lucky ......according to TOS and those up on campus a bunch of kids are flying all over the place on these mopeds/scooters. Posters mentioned other BB players being reckless and also said a couple of the females ( Collier & KLS) collided into a car on scooters.

Last edited:
There are more issues, Im not comfortable breaking the news because I don't know if it's something the university is compelled to share, but these kids aren't acting right.

Andersonfro,

That’s a cryptic post to say the very least. When I was a undergrad student I was not the model of good student behavior and was quite behind the maturity curve for males of our species. That being said I understand that weighed against the desire to be a normal college kid and enjoying that life is the different duties the UConn basketball players have to represent their school in all of their endeavors. They have to be reminded that they are representing UConn as soon as they commit to play for the program and have to carry themselves with proper decorum on and off the court.

With regard to Jalen, he seems like a great kid in interviews, however he has exhibited various signs of immaturity. One was the game at Temple, UConn up 12 at half and he blows up with the coaches, gets benched and UConn loses at Temple. He does make up for that embarrassment to hit a last second shot to beat Temple last year. We also have seen him berate teammates yet he himself has looked very winded in games and at times has made grievous turnovers for which he should be berated. These are are all maturinty issues that lots of guys have but at some point you grow up and move past them and be a leader. The scooter incident shows we are still waiting for that to happen with Jalen. Wearing the UConn jersey in this State is the highest honor a basketball player can have and a privilege, so act like it!!!!!!!

Also they have to maintain eligibility, im comfortable saying it's time for a few of these guys to mature at a minimum pace so Kevin can put a team on the court. It's a discipline issue, jalen may be a high character kid but someone on the team is a bad influence. I tend to believe those types of issues are top down. Jalen absolutely has to be suspended for at least tonight's game, and I find it difficult to justify him being the only one. Kevin's in trouble.

Last edited:
Maybe the wrong thread.... but more on KO from one of the beat writers :

Oh boy, that article claims that TL is possibly the most athletically talented player on the roster, but that's only true because Rick Pitino recruited Enoch off our campus. Nobody has a short memory and nobody should be counting a 2nd round loss as a successful season. JC collected a filthy group of players who could pull off a pick & roll offense because 2 of them could dribble and 4 of them could shoot. That's what I remember, I also remember since those guys left this team has struggled to score 70 ppg. It's absolutely ridiculous to me that this guy gets a pass for having a young team this year and equally ridiculous to suggest that losing NEXT year puts him on the hot seat. WTF did I just read?

Jalen absolutely should be suspended for tonight’s game. He has to start being a leader on and off the court. I like Jalen, as a player and a person, but his maturity on and off the court leaves much to be desired. Act like a leader. Support your teammates. Get in better cardio shape. Watch some Kemba film 2010-11 and watch how it’s done leading a UConn team.

Guys......this team really sucks. Jalen is a good player but we have not talent past him and Gilbert.

Polly might have 3-4 year potential.

so just spitballing here.....and this might be crazy but I think these kids play better if they played for Calamari. He lets them be free and create. NOT trying to run this AWFUL offense. Now that would get to the final four but Ollie needs to let these kids play then cater to their style more than this BS offense. Its SO SLOW !!!!!!!!!!!! They dont buy it. Flashes of athleticism but only on scrambles because the offense DRAINS their energy.

ok. Larrier got some confidence and it showed. That is what I am talking about, he took over OUTSIDE of the BS passing around the 3 point line.

Serous here, I wouldn't mind seeing the guards take it to the rim 100% of the possessions against a team like Colgate.

I have had much worse than this nolled in exchange for a charitable contribution to prosecutor’s choice of charity. Gun charges and breach of peace/road rage charges. This was just kid nonsense. But it was probably wise not to use up an AR (accelerated rehabilitation program) and I always told my younger clients under 21 and still in school that they should hang on to the AR if they could get a disposition like this. And it may have been wise to keep the AR in the back pocket, because you can only use it once and it’s a sort of get out of jail free card (so to speak) on more serious charges.

So if that was the legal advice Jalen’s team gave him, I might have rolled with it. Because in this climate today lots of college males getting accused of sexual misconduct and that is when the ole AR can be and needs to be played. Because shit happens to all college kids.

I don’t know if moving violation messes up a possible AR play in the future, but I don’t think it does. Presumably his legal team looked at that issue.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT