ADVERTISEMENT

Italian star PG visiting UConn

This is great....but for the love of god please show me a 4 or 5 we are recruiting & making in-roads with.

Reactions: the Blades
Yeah we don't hear anything about 4 or 5 position recruits? What's up with that?

The Italian kid looks good, maybe they can get Geno involved in his visit and hook him up with an order Geno's meatballs at Geno's Grille?

This is great....but for the love of god please show me a 4 or 5 we are recruiting & making in-roads with.

Who do you think is left? We're at the end of May. We took Whaley, who is a 4, as he was one of the best options out there left. At this point I think we're basically making due with who we got and wait till 2018. Unless we grab a grad transfer late (either Williams from SJU or the Cornell kid).

Doesn't even have to be for this year...I'm just venting. But go back and look st all the guys were following...huge tilt on guards.

Doesn't even have to be for this year...I'm just venting. But go back and look st all the guys were following...huge tilt on guards.
I hear ya Shaggy, if KO is thinking that four unproven (6-9 or less) 3 star leftovers (in the 130+ to the unranked range rankings wise) are supposed to get it done I don't know what he's smokin' lately.... because it doesn't exactly instill confidence at 4-5 slot for Uconn this year. That's what were looking at as starters on this years team. Who's gonna rebound ?.... Some are taking about Larrier at the 4 but the guy didn't even want to go in and battle last year when he was healthy, so I don't expect that from him if he's playing the 4 (@ about a buck-90lbs soaking wet). And if he is, then who's at the 3 ?..... a 6-2 guard ?

Diarra might be the default 4, but he looked less than marginal in the one game he played vs. a D-2 team and he's another guy with injury questions....Of all the grad transfers out there KO couldn't even find a Shonn Miller type to offer a starting job or has he even tried ? or how about a big from Europe, Africa, etc that JC was always able to find ? ....Talk about a disconnect with his program players(leaving) and not being prepared...It's great to be optimistic but what the hell is this guy thinking with his roster make-up ? Uconn's gonna get killed on the boards this year unless someone becomes the next Dennis Rodman and even then..... who's at the 5 ?

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
I agree Blades- I do not like the 4-5 roster composition either. As far as the 5 there are always guys like Enosch Wolf out there, or even Brimah or Nolan, they are a dime a dozen and most upper division 1 teams have a guy like that on their team, usually a 6'10" to 7'1" body who can rebound and block shots and maybe contribute some minimal offense. It is not hard to find guys like this in Europe, Africa, South America, Canada or even right here in the USA.

Exactly KSTW there's always the extra guys like that laying around so when you play teams with a 7-0'er ( or 7-6, like UCF), you have a warm body to throw out there....
Wolf...... Okwandu, Justin Brown, Hilton who wasn't even in the top 200, Marc Suhr( he was bad) etc... and then by numbers alone maybe someone can end up being usefull.

Last edited:
Commits to basketball power TT.

In all seriousness, this is only a loss if he stays there more than one year. My guess is he's back in Italy next season with a pro deal.

Hey look at the bright side, even though KO and his super recruiters can't get a sniff from a top 100 player anymore( Tyler Polley @ #113 is his highest)
...while he losses 4 who were on the team or signed........ wait a second there is no bright side !..... St. Johns, TexasTech, etc, etc, etc...... how can we expect Uconn compete with those blue bloods....SMH !

The overall recruiting effort has been a failure, arguably a massive one, since the 2014 national championship.

The overall recruiting effort has been a failure, arguably a massive one, since the 2014 national championship.

Your statement is inaccurate.

- In 2015 we had 2 top 50 recruits (Jalen and Steve Enoch) plus 2 out of the 3 best transfers that year (Gibbs and Miller).

- In 2016 we had the 8th ranked class including McD Gilbert.

- In 2017 we were off to another good start until a series of really abnormal sequences led to where we are today. This season is a huge outlier.

Guys who are not in the program any more do not count! This is not success! Durham, Enoch, Jackson, Ashton-Langford, all gone. Guys who leave the program are not recruits that count on this overall picture. Part of recruiting is keeping your talent happy and in the program as opposed to leaving.

Last edited:
This was a luxury. And only worthwhile if he stayed multiple years to reiterate.

We have plenty to bitch about. I just don't think this was one of them. He was going to take Jalens, Gilbert's or Vitales minutes? I don't think this was Niels Giffey part 2.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT