ADVERTISEMENT

AAC/ BE poach - version 4.0 - CR talk

Welcome back, what would we do with out ya ;)....So are you trying to say everyone didn't also know
OK and TEX had one foot out the door of the Big 12 forever. Do you remember when it was the Big 12 and BE talking about a merger because of those 2 leaving for the PAC? I could right a book on this stuff and have on this website over the years. So your not telling me anything I don't know. Meaning there's no reason to come over here and engage me on it. Truthfully I really don't even like to do this CR stuff with outsiders.

And as far as tourney bids and the BE, I'm not worried about that either since this is a Uconn site and Uconn wins championships. You might want to go to some other BE school sites to drop that bit of speculation. It might be more appropriate and realistically, what's your point ? That certain BE fans should worry ?

PS. Russ who's your team ?... since your obviosly not a BE or Uconn fan ?
At the very least, Oklahoma State and TAMU were blindsided by the moves UT & OU made. Maybe even the B12 Commissioner. Bowlsby & the PAC Commissioner seem like the two weakest commissioners of the P5 conferences. The Big Ten commissioner isn't too far behind them.

But, I see you are very sensitive and all up in your feels so I'm going to step aside and let you enjoy your safe space.

Blades,

Since being head coach at UConn, Bob Diaco has worked one year and then been fired at 4 different schools, Nebraska, Oklahoma, Louisiana Tech and Purdue. Since being fired by Purdue in 2020 he seems to be without employment. This is a remarkable run. If you extend it to UConn he has been fired by 5 college football programs in 5 successive years. Has this "accomplishment" ever been matched? To me it's a remarkable accomplishment.
Uconn was always more of a development program during Edsall 1.0, but he did win 2 BE ships. If you look at the recruiting by Diaco, it was another thing he couldn't get right. By not even being ranked 2 of the 3 years he was here.

Rivals-Uconn-FB-team-rankings-2005.jpg

Last edited:
At the very least, Oklahoma State and TAMU were blindsided by the moves UT & OU made. Maybe even the B12 Commissioner. Bowlsby & the PAC Commissioner seem like the two weakest commissioners of the P5 conferences. The Big Ten commissioner isn't too far behind them.

But, I see you are very sensitive and all up in your feels so I'm going to step aside and let you enjoy your safe space.
Not really Russ, it just gets boring having to repeat so much of this CR stuff over and over to every drive by know it all and speculator who shows up here. I've been doing it since 2003, I'm just not doing it anymore. I will give you this, Uconn for a school who did so much on the field and court has certainly got screwed the worse. So Husky fans are experts at losing in CR and most of us have accepted it.

I just find it a joke when fans who root for teams like BC, Rutgers etc. stick their chest out because they got labeled a P-5, (or think they somehow deserve more NCAA bids) But they're really nothing but a program playing for a pay check. Like it's the fans fricken' money.... so somehow they won !

(also how's that USF program you claim :rolleyes: and why don't you have a free board over there? You afraid of the trolls in your safe space ? )

Last edited:
Russ,

I agree with you that Oklahoma State and Texas A&M got shafted, but I don't feel sorry for A&M at all, because they are still in the SEC and will be given the chance to compete head to head. OSU is in a far worse position, and they have a very good program.

I also agree with Blades that UConn was shafted much worse, and that he has been discussing these CR issues for a very long time. One thing I disagree with Blades on is how well UConn would have competed in football in one of the P5 conferences. Blades cites the Big East championships as evidence of potential. But it's recruiting at a lower level, and I think all the northern schools are severely handicapped in recruiting in football and to some extent baseball. Boston College and Rutgers have to fight this as well as other issues, and TBH I think it would have been a battle for UConn. We just don't know what would have happened had UConn gotten invited to the ACC. The ACC at this point almost looks like it's about to fall out of the P5 as well. It could be a P3 sooner than we think.

Blades cites the Big East championships as evidence of potential. But it's recruiting at a lower level, and I think all the northern schools are severely handicapped in recruiting in football and to some extent baseball. Boston College and Rutgers have to fight this as well as other issues.
You ain't kiddin'..it's like Mike Slive, who was a judge and a lawyer, biggest job as Comm. of the SEC was figuring out ways to get members around the cheating and payouts they'd get caught handing to recruits by the NCAA. I'd actually think the new NIL might help the other schools now because everything can be above board. Looks like Schiano and Rutgers have one of their best FB classes in forever, so I'll give them that.

Last edited:

Did ESPN Force ACC/Big East Realignment?

They just poach a few teams from conference they don't control and move it into the conference they do ( like from BE to the ACC) to make it more valuable. Then they de- value the remaining parts in their corporate raid. This time it's the Big 12. So if they want to circle back and bid they've only payed big money to a few schools (TEX & OK) not all 10 and can get the rest ( + whoever the Big 12 add) on the cheap, no matter how it plays out.

You mean Bowlsby and the Big 12 are just figuring out now that ESPN is the devil and like to raid & destroy conferences for business gain ? TFB, they always liked the money when it was good for them...but now they're #realmad.... Why don't they ask Uconn how Pitt lied to everyones face in the BE and said "let's stick together " while they were making a deal with the ACC and ESPN's money !!!

Last edited:
So Texas and Oklahoma not only employed stealth in these meetings by acting interested, but also managed to take with them "proprietary information" from Big 12 strategy meetings? Sounds pretty sneaky to me.

Regarding Pitt, look who called them out ( boy if history and ESPN don't always keep repeating itself, SMH):

"Louisville athletic director Tom Jurich didn't waste time denouncing the move. Mr. Jurich said during a video interview on the website of the Louisville Courier-Journal that Pitt Chancellor Mark Nordenberg has violated the trust of the rest of the conference members and called the matter "slippery." He said that Pitt and Syracuse should be ashamed of themselves for not at least picking up the phone and informing the BE conference they were leaving.

"[Why this is happening now], I think is a question for Pittsburgh's [Chancellor Nordenberg]," Mr. Jurich said. "I think that is a question a lot of people would like answered. "I talked to [Big East commissioner John Marinatto] today a couple times, he was stunned. I think he at least deserved a phone call, he didn't need to hear about it from" a reporter. Mr. Jurich added that he was surprised by the developments because he doesn't believe Pitt adds anything to the ACC. "

Last edited:
If true, somebody in the Big 12 who got contacted by the AAC/ESPN ( their media rights holder) ratted
Aresco and ESPN out. Why? ....Because the BIG 12 schools know it's a downgrade and have no interest in the AAC. If it was an "upgrade" to another P-5 you wouldn't hear a word from the "new" B12 school(s) jumping ship.

Last edited:

USA Today- Big 12 sends ESPN cease and desist letter in latest college conference expansion drama

The Big 12 Conference has sent ESPN a letter demanding the network refrain from communicating with its current membership or with other FBS leagues.

The Big 12 is nearing the end of a 13-year agreement with ESPN (sound familiar) and Fox, which is set to expire in 2025.

"This is putting ESPN on notice that (the Big 12) may sue ESPN at some point in the future if Oklahoma and Texas leave the Big 12 before the grant of rights expires," said Mit Winter, a lawyer who has served as outside counsel to college athletic conferences.."Threatening to sue ESPN is going to sour the relationship between the Big 12 and ESPN if the Big 12 continues to exist. I assume ESPN is not going to be happy about receiving that kind of letter.”

I wonder which Big 12 school ESPN sneakily reached out to? Was it Oklahoma State?

Speaking of ESPN did anyone follow the recent Maria Taylor/Rachel Nichols/ESPN drama? It's not really clear to me how it all turned out but when stuff like that happens in a small company and there is a cat fight between 2 employees, both of whom are valuable, you sit their asses down behind closed doors and have woman to woman or man to man talks as the case may be, remind them that they are on the same team and need to work together, etc. None of that happened, instead ESPN took Nichols off the air. Which I am not so sure was a good move because Nichols was later defended not only by the NBA Commissioner but some NBA players. What she actually said that was picked up by hot mikes was more of a shot at ESPN and their poor record on minority hiring than a shot at Maria Taylor, although she could have chosen her words better and obviously feels Taylor, who is younger and quite frankly much better looking, is blocking her from getting a job she really deserves. Nothing new in competition in a work place, but ESPN didn't even do much to Foster that competition and instead took a politically correct position although all of their corporate head big shots are Trump Voters who basically do not believe in political correctness by voting as they do.

Speaking of ESPN did anyone follow the recent Maria Taylor/Rachel Nichols/ESPN drama? It's not really clear to me how it all turned out but when stuff like that happens in a small company and there is a cat fight
Saw some headlines but I'm so not interested in anything at ESPiN'. I used to love the Top 10, games, Sports Center and was even friends the founders son, John Saunders (RIP) and some of the guys who started the company . But that's all I need to know about the story, typical drama TV from them now, when the people who don't matter are allowed to become the story.....instead of the games.

They'd probably rather lowball the remaining Big 12 teams(now at 35 Mil a year) on their new contract and only give a raise to a few AAC teams (Cincy, UCF, etc) or a Boise St. , BYU, etc. that get realigned into that new version of the Big 12. But I guess the key is who the bidders will be in 2025 for a rearranged version of the conference ?..... ESPN, FOX, Amazon etc ?

Decent read on clueless Aresco and ESPN ...."how on Earth did ESPN think this was going to work? Think of it from the perspective of the remaining Big 12 schools of the ESPN “offering”.....the alleged proposal from ESPN is frankly comical. "

(1) This would have involved asking Oklahoma State to ask Tulsa for an invite to a league. It would have involved Texas Tech, Baylor and TCU to ask SMU and Houston to the same. Putting aside football, this would have required Kansas State and freaking Kansas (whose basketball program was founded by basketball inventor James Naismith) asking Wichita State to join the Shockers’ league!

(2) The Big 12 would just willingly disband and give up $140 million to $160 million of exit fees from Texas and Oklahoma.

(3) The Big 12 would further willingly dissolve and give up around $1 billion for the rest of the existing TV deal with ESPN.

If true, somebody in the Big 12 who got contacted by the AAC/ESPN ( their media rights holder) ratted Aresco and ESPN out. Why? ....Because the BIG 12 schools know it's a downgrade and have no interest in the AAC. If it was an "upgrade" to another P-5 you wouldn't hear a word from the "new" B12 school(s) jumping ship.
And as I said above from Frank the Tanks article:

"any Big 12 school that received a proposal from ESPN for them to join the AAC (not the ACC) so that they can dissolve the league and make less money in the process would have forwarded those texts and emails to (Bowlsby's) Office with the subject line: “Dude?! WTF?!” "

"the rest of the Big 12 may not be finding homes in other P5 leagues, but they still have absolute poaching power over the G5 leagues if only because of a combination of autonomy status with the NCAA, incoming exit fees from Texas and Oklahoma and existing NCAA Tournament credits. "

Last edited:
Yep , this guy has to be the all-time leader in a coach getting paid so much, for doing so little, at so many places..
Blades,

I previously missed this post and I wanted to respond to this post in regards to Bob Diaco because what you posted and how Diaco has managed to seemingly amass an incredible number of one and done job terminations is of curiousity to me and I have some theories about it.

I also noted a similar disastrous tenure by Head Coach Adam Gase when he was with the Jets and I think there may be some similarities to his case with Diaco even though Gase only got hired and fired from two NFL head coaching gigs and is unlikely to ever be hired as a head coach in the NFL again.

Both guys ascended rapidly in their profession in part because they were in the right place at the right time with the right program when they got their initial break that led to their initial head coaching gig. Both guys gave incredibly bizarre press conferences. If you think Diaco's pressers were bizarre/weird, I dare you to watch some of Gase's. His "googly eyes" introductory presser is now a YouTube classic, and legendary among the NY media for being a poor opening presser. It went downhill from there. And my theory on both of these guys is that the weirdness that everyone else saw in their pressers, in their job interviews, somehow became positives for them and established them as "out of the box thinkers" as opposed to "frauds."

As I am sure you know in sports and in entertainment certain people get anointed as "flavor of the month"'candidates. These two guys were classic examples of flavor of the month guys who were at one time hot candidates who have gone cold. With Diaco's 5th job loss in 5 years, which is really remarkable in any one profession, one would think he would move on, for his family's benefit if not his own.

Blades, if you want a good laugh, at that time, after that now infamous presser, on national TV Gase was mocked by Stephen A, who asked for tests to be done on Gase and not so subtly accused Gase of being high:

Big 12 and Pac 12 Discussing Merger:
I think what we will see next is a Big 10/ACC Merger, so that there will be three megaconferences or a Power 3.
I guess the key here is FOX and them wanting to protect their place in CFB. Aresco must of been dreaming that the AAC, with their 5-7 mil per school ESPN contract, could poach teams from the Big 12
( at about 34 mil per ) And why would ESPN now want to pay a bunch of AAC teams more money when they own them for chump change until 2032.

Even if the Big 12 would get half that without TEX and OK ( which has been estimated) like your article says: " considering the Big 12 has autonomy status, it would likely make more sense for it to assume the AAC than the other way around. " So maybe they'd bring in a few teams from the AAC .

But the better play for the Big 12 and probably the PAC might be to combine. With Fox ( and others ) as bidders, then they help keep the value up for both conferences. Especially since "The Big 12 and Pac-12 both have TV rights deals with ESPN and Fox. " and expire in 2024/25. So their new deal needs as many interested bidders as possible.

Last edited:
from CBS-

From the story above - USC as another INDY, like Notre Dame ?
" Until further notice, Notre Dame is locked into its independence.....the Fighting Irish already have their own network (NBC), that ACC football scheduling agreement, increased access to the proposed 12-team College Football Playoff and perhaps the best brand in the game. Why share?..........

" That leaves USC
. The Trojans have options. USC has one of the most recognizable brands in sports. It resides in the nation's second-biggest television market.....USC could remain in the Pac-12, strike out on its own as an independent or join another league "

More regarding Aresco's pipe dream : " Sources indicate the Big 12 has leverage if it wants to make a move against the American Athletic Conference. The Big 12 has automatic New Year's Six access and -- as long as the league stays together to the end of the current contract in 2025 -- $35 million( per team) in annual media rights revenue. The AAC has neither. "

Last edited:
When reading the hoop elements in this "P-3 alliance" between the ACC, B1G and the PAC, looks like Uconn's MBB & WBB are gonna have to do more OOC scheduling ...with the SEC for "power conference games" or who ever's left from the Big 12 ( Kansas, Baylor's a good start ). Will this end the Gavitt Games (BE vs. B1G) ?

Don't like to quote Wetzel but as his Yahoo piece says, it looks like this is about jealousy and college sports (mainly the SEC vs. those 3) are at war with theirselves.

PS. I guess Dave Benedict's time/connections in the SEC at Auburn might help and Uconn already has a H & H with Ole Miss and @ Vandy + TENN in FB.

Last edited:
Didn't Texas A&M claim there was a "gentleman's agreement" with SEC presidents and ADs as well, not to admit Texas and Oklahoma, i.e., something that wasn't in writing and wasn't legally enforceable, and as such worth less than the toilet paper one uses to wipe one's ass?

This is all a joke and I hope they all end up in the courts suing each other to enforce their stupid gentleman's agreements. Which will last only until any one school sees a better opportunity with something else. It's a Confederacy of Self-Aggrandizing Dunces.

Last edited:
Reactions: the Blades
This is all a joke and I hope they all end up in the courts suing each other to enforce their stupid gentleman's agreements. Which will last only until any one school sees a better opportunity with something else. It's a Confederacy of Self-Aggrandizing Dunces.
Speaking of...... letters are already going out regarding "their Alliance" :

It's all going to end up in the Courts eventually. The precedent has already been set that the Courts, and not the NCAA, are the regulatory body. All of these schools and "alliances" are going to push envelopes on what they can do until someone calls them on it through litigation.

Well I guess this thread, circles back to my original post....because the PAC 12 decided yesterday they will not expand. Meaning it's cherry pickin' time for the Big 12 with their autonomy, bowl tie-ins, $35 mil a year ( per school /for now) and $140 million to $160 million in exit fees from OU & TEX.... in hand.
Sorry Aresco.... this is who you'll always be, a conference on the verge of implosion. So when the Sooners and Longhorns leave, will the 8 team Big 12 look to add 2 or 4 schools from the AAC ?

Here's the article that says: "The Pac 12’s “handshake” deal alliance with the Big Ten and ACC amounts to a tall glass of “Hogwash.” “Hogwash” is the description used by a college athletics administrator who dared not go on the record because the people involved in this toilet-paper alliance are his friends......... but...." Schools like Texas Tech, Kansas, TCU, Oklahoma State and Baylor took a hard right to the face on Thursday when the Pac-12 announced it will not expand."......" If the Big 12 is going to remain in the current Power 5 model, it will have to do this on its own----The Big 12’s prayer of being included by its brothers and sisters in the ACC, Big 10 or Pac-12 “alliance” against the SEC died this week. There is nothing Big 12 commissioner Bob Bowlsby can do about it.....
( But) the Big 12 is not going to die just yet. Until the funeral, the Big 12 needs to add BYU. And Boise State. And Central Florida. And Cincinnati....The geography of a league that stretches from Boise to Orlando makes no sense, but the map no longer factors into college athletics. Adding Boise State, BYU, Cincinnati and Central Florida would make the Big 12 relevant, and give the league a chance for national relevancy. "

Which leads to the AAC/former BE being the prime target to lose more teams again. ( and what about Houston, if not for the bad blood or TEX politics)

Full read:

Last edited:
Interesting look back at BE football.

" Whatever its fate, the Big 12 has a test case. A model to study. Lessons to be learned, from what to do and what not to do. Look to the Big East. The Big 12 is not the first conference to lose its two kingpins.
In 2003, Miami and Virginia Tech announced they would leave the Big East for the Atlantic Coast Conference. Maybe you don't remember, but the Hurricanes and the Hokies were big deals in 2003.... The departure of the Hokies and the Hurricanes seemed like a death blow to the Big East. And it was. But it took awhile.......
What are the Big 12 lessons? Dissolving doesn't come automatically just because the two bellcows leave. But further defections weaken the conference almost beyond recognition. "

"The only consolation for the late Big East football experiment is that the schools that left have not necessarily prospered. Virginia Tech was an ACC force, winning four league titles its first six years, but the Hokies have fallen off since. Miami never has done much in the ACC. Syracuse has fallen into an abyss. Boston College and Pitt are mostly irrelevant. Louisville has had its moments but has been up and down. ( and let's not even mention Rutgers)"

Here is what the remaining Big 12 schools are and will be finding out. If the P-3/P-4 wanted them, they would invite them. Either they bring something to the table, or not. If they do not bring anything to the table and are leeches, they will not be invited. They are getting a splash of cold water in the face about what they in reality are. Of the remaining schools that are twisting in the wind right now, I think Oklahoma State has a good chance to eventually get invited either to the Pac-12 or Big10. And they will maybe be joined by one other school. OSU may bring something to the table. But ultimately that is up to the P-3 to determine. I have not seen the financials on the football of these schools, and their ratings etc so I do not know what those stats say.

Last edited:
If the P-3/P-4 wanted them, they would invite them. If they do not bring anything to the table and are leeches, they will not be invited. They are getting a splash of cold water in the face about what they in reality are. Of the remaining schools that are twisting in the wind right now, I think Oklahoma State has a good chance to eventually get invited either to the Pac-12 or Big10. And they will maybe be joined by one other school. OSU may bring something to the table. But ultimately that is up to the P-3 to determine. I have not seen the financials on the football of these schools, and their ratings etc so I do not know what those stats say.
Pretty much, don't know if you read the tweets in my last 4 posts. The Pac 12 did the numbers & announced yesterday they are not ( inviting anyone) expanding... The " alliance" is now set without them, "So the ( little 8 ) Big 12 will have to do this on its own, so it's time for the AAC/BE to poached again, as in the title of this thread !

Last edited:
Aresco with his "were a strong conference ....everything is fine speech" ......once again

Well looks like Aresco & the AAC has now lost Uconn, Cincy, Houston and UCF in just a couple of years.
Thank goodness Uconn got out when they did. Aresco's hoops league is gonna suck even worse if this happens. I wouldn't be suprised to see Memphis try to go Uconn's route and lobby to be added as #12 in the Big East and go Indy in FB. This is what happens to a conference like the AAC, when you think you can stay in it and be a big fish in a small pond. Eventually that small pond just dries up.

PS. remember this I posted and created a few years back, it took a while but
A. I guess Herbst did eventually find a life boat (the Big East) ...and...
B. the AAC may finally be sunk, LOL!

Cartoon-AAC.jpg

Last edited:
I don't see this as the demise of the AAC. This is like the Animal Kingdom and the food chain. There is always someone lower on the food chain to eat. In this case the AAC will in turn poach off of the Atlantic 10's bigger fish. Will they be weakened, yes. But the big fish will eat the small fish and the next biggest fish will eat the next smallest fish. It's exactly the same as Animal Kingdom principles. The pond will not dry up, but it will be smaller and the biggest fish will not be the 8 pound bass, instead it will be a 4 pounder. But a 4 pounder will still put some food on the table. The meals are just going to get smaller. AAC ADs aren't going to be eating as well.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT