ADVERTISEMENT

AAC/ BE poach - version 4.0 - CR talk

But as I posted when this recent CR frenzy started.... INDY/ Big East is fine for me.
I agree with you on this for a number of reasons, most significant of which is that maintaining the current status, while passing up on big upfront money, enables UConn to sit, wait and determine whether there will be any stability at all in the new CR. As you point out it's so Wild West right now with CR and there are so many unknowns that the old adage "look before you leap" has to be paid homage to. Lots of schools seem to be making rushed decisions based on quick up front money and it's very similar in my mind to stock market panics in which people pull all their money out of banks and stash them at home (thus losing long term interest) based on irrational fear of bank failure. Too many decisions are being made that have the feel of panicked decision making not looking to the long term future.

Last edited:
I agree with you on this for a number of reasons, most significant of which is that maintaining the current status, while passing up on big upfront money, enables UConn to sit, wait and determine whether there will be any stability at all in the new CR. Too many decisions are being made that have the feel of panicked decision making not looking to the long term future.
Like I said above regarding the BE/Indy being fine... but don't look now. Some strong messages coming out in tweets like this one from a 24/7 Sports Big 12 publisher/radio host...that Fox and ESPN, the Big 12's shared TV partners would make an exception for the Big 12 to bring in certain TV markets from a G-5
( Uconn)

Almost seems like ESPN trying to get some Uconn content back and Fox not paying the Big East as much for their next TV contract. Where have we seen this before ? When ESPN cherry picked the Big East in 2012 by taking Pitt, Cuse, Ville. etc. as Uconn got left behind. And with the Big 12 money that Matt (TIUC) tweeted about this "ain't no " short term up front money !

Last edited:
ESPN should they merge, SMH ! ...the same guys that destroyed the original BE with help of the ACC, now wants them to play nice...Can't make this stuff up.

Maybe UConn would ask the Big 12 to pay the BE exit fee? A little bit of Chutzpah, but wouldn't it really be chump change for the Big 12?

Reactions: the Blades
TV money is king and if it makes sense for a school and conference ....sh#t happens...

Like I first posted on recent CR, it all goes back to money and what TV partners will pay. I know Uconn has a set exit fee from the BE....$30 mil in the first 6 years, drops to $15 mil yrs 6-9, $10 mil after that.
( From Courant in 2019..."The cost for UConn to leave the conference is steeper than other Big East schools because it plays football. The sport gives UConn an incentive to leave for another conference where the payout may be larger." )

But it's about TV money for the Big East too. Ackerman was talkin about it publicly and stated she was looking at the next TV deal. Article below is the BE's poaching options. So even the BE could become the wild wild west.

" The Big East’s television contract with FOX will expire after the 2024-25 season, which has led Big East commissioner Val Ackerman to think about the league’s future. We have to stay nimble,” Ackerman said last October “We are thinking in the back of our minds about our next television negotiation. Our deal with FOX covers this year, plus three more. What’s going to put the Big East in the best position to have another major national television arrangement because those deals are life blood for us. It’s exposure, it’s credibility"

The schools that are talked about are alot more than Uconn traveling to the midwest in the Big 12....as they already do in the BE. Most often mentioned for BE expansion is Gonzaga. But also in the article are west coast schools....St. Mary’s, San Francisco, Loyola Marymount and San Diego ..+ midwest's St. Louis, Loyola Chicago and Drake (Iowa), Wichita State, Dayton, VCU etc.

So if I'm Uconn and seeing these names pop up as possible future Big East members, why not the Big 12 ? Especially if Fox and ESPN tells the Big 12 and Uconn they can be added as a full paid P-5 member $. Which allows Uconn football to compete at the P-5 level $....while joining the #1 hoops conference in the NCAA too. ...alot of tea leaves going on with this stuff and the $$$ too.

Last edited:
Well strait from the horses mouth today. My take is we've seen this play out before. Nothing is gonna happen soon but the UConn and COL rumors are being floated out there as part of a plan. To get some antsy PAC 12 schools ready to move ?..... like we saw when all the BE schools were scrambling for the last seat in the ACC.

Also on-

Last edited:
Nothing is gonna happen soon but the UConn and COL rumors are floated out there as part of the plan. To get some antsy PAC 12 schools ready to move, like we saw when all the BE schools were scrambling for a last seat in the ACC.
Yep....the leader is on it: "A source told ESPN that UConn and Gonzaga were "certainly talked about" in the meetings, which were held at the posh Greenbrier resort, but the presidents and chancellors are in a holding pattern until the Pac-12 announces its television deal."....so all this CR talk can be put to bed as far as Uconn is concerned.

Last edited:
So what you are basically saying is UConn was being used/played all along by the Big 12 as a tool to stoke panic/desire among Pac 12 schools, and the whole courtship thing was a big charade. Seems like the Big 12 also did a good job playing these useless Twitter trolls who do nothing but post whatever nonsense, rumor, innuendo and gossip is spoon fed to them like Gerber baby food to a hungry, crying baby.....🤮🤮🤮

Torres said the same thing about these 2 also....who knows if they just copy each...but with all this stuff it's seems like each man for himself.....time will tell.

Last edited:
Seems like the Big 12 also did a good job playing these useless Twitter trolls
More of the same here........
"We do see the upside in basketball moving forward for all the right reasons," Yormark said without mentioning any specific schools. "We think it's undervalued and there's a chance for us to double down as the No. 1 basketball conference in America, but football is the driver and we all know that.

"As we think about the future and ways to create value," he added, "there is always that option to decouple basketball from football to see if there's further value we can create for the conference."

A source told ESPN that UConn and Gonzaga were "certainly talked about" in the meetings,

"there is always that option to decouple basketball from football to see if there's further value we can create for the conference."
What does this even mean? Is he suggesting some schools can be Big 12 basketball only and their football can stay Indy (or nonexistent)? How do you "uncouple" the football money? Is there a special condom for doing that?

Last edited:
What does this even mean? Is he suggesting some schools can be Big 12 basketball only and their football can stay Indy (or nonexistent)? How do you "uncouple" the football money? Is there a special condom for doing that?
I hear ya..he's probably talking TV income (BB & FB) being in separate contracts.

Almost sounds as crazy as what Uconn does with their books....
1. The AD pays the school for athlete schollies which is income for the school... but a cost for the AD.
2. Us fans pay huge season tix location charges to the Uconn Foundation which is a listed as a "donation". So it's not counted as Uconn AD "income" even though they generate it...Only TV money, IMG & Nike contracts, etc. and actual seat cost is income for the AD.

It's the reason the Uconn AD gets listed as a $40+ mil per year loss on the books at the same time as the "The UConn Foundation achieved the highest fundraising total in its history for the third consecutive year, with generous donors contributing $115 million in new gifts and commitments in the fiscal year that ended June 30, 2022. These funds, which represent a 23% increase over last year’s $93.3 million total "

Last edited:
So what you are basically saying is UConn was being used/played all along by the Big 12 as a tool to stoke panic/desire among Pac 12 schools, and the whole courtship thing was a big charade. Seems like the Big 12 also did a good job playing these useless Twitter trolls who do nothing but post whatever nonsense, rumor, innuendo and gossip is spoon fed to them like Gerber baby food to a hungry, crying baby.....🤮🤮🤮
Yep I'll call it now from what I've read. The Big 12 takes AZ and COL from the PAC with $ from the TV partners and puts them in the conference they (ESPN & FOX) do have under contract ( the Big 12).
So they can de-value and circle back with a lowball offer to the PAC 12, who does not have TV contract right now...Where have we seen that exact play before ? by ESPN ! Can anyone say the original Big East ?

But at the end of the day as I said from the start.... I and alot of Uconn fans are fine with the BIG East/Indy as is. Just as long as the Big 12/ TV partners don't try cherry pickin' Gonzaga and some Big East schools as hoops only ( say it's 3 largest markets, NYC, Philly, DC)..... which has been floated out there too, SMH !

If that happens how in love would the "stay in the Big East Uconn fans" be when the new conference is left with just Seton Hall, Providence and a bunch of midwest schools that we have no history with ?

Last edited:
Since there's no more Uconn sports for the summer, I'll add little more on CR, Uconn fans favorite "go to' this time of year.....This is an "outside of Huskyland take" yesterday from the midwest and something called Heartland College Sports, who covers the Big 12.....FWIW, alot of Uconn/ NYC market talk.

PS ...also mentions the "decouple from FB", Yormark was talking about and he thinks CR happens "sooner", whatever timeline that is.

Host bio...previous stop in New York City included hosting work for Fox News Radio, CBS Sports Radio, Sports Illustrated = https://petemundo.com as the saying goes consider the source !

Last edited:
Also right on cue the New Haven Register comes out with a Jim Mora story this morning. How does it relate to CR ????

" So, can a national championship be won at UConn? “Yes,” Mora said without hesitation.....Can it be done as an independent program? “No,” he said immediately......UConn isn’t Notre Dame, of course.....As Mora spoke, though, others on campus were preparing to at least consider the possibility of conference realignment that would place the athletic department, and therefore the football program, in the top tier of college athletics. The Big 12 is looking to stabilize its place in the Power Five landscape through expansion, and UConn is being considered as a member for, among other things, its Northeast footprint and substantial basketball success. "

Last edited:
Torres on Uconn and the future of the "Power 3 or 4 " conferences like the B1G and SEC eventually breaking away from NCAA basketball in the future. Like they have already done in football while running their own CF Playoff. As he said the BB break off has already been mentioned by decision makers in the P-5, in regards to cutting out auto bids to alot of these BB only schools.

Last edited:
FWIW, McMurphy is one of these national writers who's been anti-Uconn for years, but put out this tweet.

Is McMurphy reporting anything that shouldn't be obvious by now to most observers? He is basically parroting other's rumors and passing it off as his news just like all these other Twitter trolls. Canning, restating and rebranding the rumor and gossip of others is the new business model on Twitter.

So could this be Colorado to the Big 12 with Uconn....... SD St. replacing them in the PAC 12 ?
Maybe this movement ties in to Uconn signing one of their highest rated FB players ever from Big 12 country yesterday...

Last edited:
San Diego State gives notice it is withdrawing from the Mountain West:
Or maybe it's just a safety move in case-
"San Diego State would need to give a year of notice to withdraw next June. If it waits past June 30, the exit fee it would owe jumps from nearly $16.5 million to nearly $34 million." ....but remember this in FEB ?

Last edited:
No idea WTF Uncle Uconn is but......
It could be the anonymous Twitter burner account of Dave Benedict, or maybe even his wife. Anyone remember a few years ago when the Philadelphia 76ers investigated burner accounts on Twitter that were releasing confidential/privileged/sensitive personal information on 76er players? Yep, it was GM Bryan Colangelo's wife, and he was fired for his wife's actions, insofar as he spilled the beans to her and she leaked the beans. Have to assume the life of a big money basketball GM's (or AD's) wife can get a little boring while hubby works 80 hours a week, so she had fun with the down time, as summarized in this article:
Of course, Uncle UConn's tweet, though citing a source "close to the program", only revealed an advance news scoop, not confidential or sensitive or personal information. More likely though is it's not Dave Benedict or his wife, and it's fake news, coming from a random UConn student high on a mix of qualuudes and fentanyl.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Mountain West: No Exceptions For San Diego State
Some of these mid-major conferences are pushing back on the defectors, playing hardball and refusing to negotiate exit fees, which is not only their right, but their fiduciary duty as to the other conferences teams.

Mountain West: No Exceptions For San Diego State
Some of these mid-major conferences are pushing back on the defectors, playing hardball and refusing to negotiate exit fees, which is not only their right, but their fiduciary duty as to the other conferences teams.
Yeah, well SD St. has a weird clause in their deal with the MWC. If they leave by the end of the month they pay an exit fee of of $17 mil, but after that it goes up to $34 mil. So the Aztecs are trying to play it both ways claiming they might be out to get a lower amount, while they figure things out.

Kinda like some divorce where the guy wants stay in the house while he bangs the chick on the side. In SD St. case it's even more, waiting to see what opens up in either the PAC-12 or the Big 12. So they have a 3-some going but just in case...MWC can we come back cause we still love you ? MWC is gonna yell and scream ( delay) but at the end of the day they'd say yes, because SD St is a daddy for them. But also the SD St. exit fee goes back down again 2025, so they want more now and can get it.

Uconn and the Big East have no such illusions. 10 hoops schools, none with a FBS team and a solid pre-nup. Big East tells Uconn we know you like to play around on the side...that's cool, you can even leave because we like hanging you with as much as we can cause "you da' a man " and a boss.....Pay me $30 mil to leave if it's the first 6 years or $15 mil the next 3 after that and then $10 mil later. It's all good. We know your probably gonna find a hotter chick and wont stay with me forever. ( and we'll be looking around too for your lesser model, Gonzaga, St.Louis, Wichita St, VCU etc.)

Last edited:
I agree with you on this for a number of reasons, most significant of which is that maintaining the current status, while passing up on big upfront money, enables UConn to sit, wait and determine whether there will be any stability at all in the new CR. As you point out it's so Wild West right now with CR and there are so many unknowns that the old adage "look before you leap" has to be paid homage to. Lots of schools seem to be making rushed decisions
So this kind of applies to a new look.....

Couple of quotes from Coaches Road show tonight....

“I walk carefully, because I don’t want to upset the hardcore basketball fans who are so emotionally connected to the Big East,” Mora said Tuesday before the UConn Coaches Road Show.....“I always see it through the lens of a football coach, and for the overall athletic department and I know, for football, having a chance to be in a Power Five conference would be amazing. It would be an amazing opportunity for us to compete against the best, to have an opportunity to win championships, it would certainly help our recruiting....“For the overall athletic department, I imagine it would be profound,”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT