ADVERTISEMENT

............is entering the transfer portal

This unfortunately is what happens when guys do not play, whether they are ready or not. Springs might end up doing the same. Texas Tech just had the same thing happen with their 5 star freshman shooting guard. Texas Tech took on transfer guards in Mac Maclung from Georgetown and the kid who left Wichita State who are both ahead of him.

That kid is averaging around 12 minutes and 5 points per game which is way more run than what JB was getting. It's too bad. My own opinion is kids should not go to college if they want to be showcased immediately whether they are ready or not. They should prep for a year and then play overseas. Otherwise if you go to college you go with the understanding that you may take more than a year or two to develop and trust the coaches that you committed to have a plan for you. What probably pissed JB off is Sanogo got all the developmental minutes at the 5 and he only got to mop up in a game or two. He might feel he is just as ready as Sanogo is, and taller. Hurley may have split minutes up between him and Sanogo but I am guessing DH didn't think he was ready and had a sushi grade at this time.

Now they need another big for next year because Josh and Isiah are graduating. I smell a grad transfer

The only thing I’d say to him is ‘Jared Dudley got a nice ring a few weeks ago’.

Sounds like Hurley had a Kenya Hunter pulled on him( kinda blindsided) by Brown and I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly who he ends up with up. And if Hunter hasn't been recruiting him either, all this time through backdoor channels.

Last edited:
Also doesn't sound like he's worried about his future play in the post:

This unfortunately is what happens when guys do not play, whether they are ready or not. Springs might end up doing the same.
I'd think just the opposite if I was Richie, it's a big opportunity next year. With Isaiah, Josh and Tyler all SR's, Richie would be the only guy left to share time at the 4/5 slots. Adama, Akok, and FR Samson are the only bigs that'll be on the squad right now. So he better get at it everyday in practice because his audition for major PT next year just moved up.

Sounds like Hurley had a Kenya Hunter pulled on him( kinda blindsided) by Brown and I wouldn't be surprised if that is exactly who he ends up with up. And if Hunter hasn't been recruiting him either, all this time through backdoor channels

Is "backdoor channel" recruiting of other college program's players permitted? Isn't that called tampering, or is tampering only properly used when a professional contract is interfered with by backchannel recruitment? I suppose this goes on a lot with college kids actually initiating the contact with other program's coaches, but can the conversations take place or does the contacted coach have a duty to hang up the phone or ignore the text?

I'd think just the opposite if I was Richie, it's a big opportunity next year. With Isaiah, Josh and Tyler all SR's, Richie would be the only guy left to share time at the 4/5 slots. Adama, Akok, and FR Samson are the only bigs that'll be on the squad right now. So he better get at it everyday in practice because his audition for major PT next year just moved up.
Here's a look right now:
Uconn-hoops-2021-22-c.jpg

Last edited:
Is "backdoor channel" recruiting of other college program's players permitted? Isn't that called tampering, or is tampering only properly used when a professional contract is interfered with by backchannel recruitment? I suppose this goes on a lot with college kids actually initiating the contact with other program's coaches, but can the conversations take place or does the contacted coach have a duty to hang up the phone or ignore the text?
I don't think it would be to difficult. Kenya could just talk with his HS coach, who he would already have a relationship with while recruiting JB the first time.

I deal with recruiting in the professional ranks and in my industry there is a lot put on who contacted who first. IN my world you can get past a non-silicate when the recruit contacts you without any pushing from you. That being said I have no idea what the NCAA rule is and even if I did that doesnt matter with them....if it hurts UConn then its permissible. :)

I think what Blades said is probably true making de facto enforcement of any tampering rules impossible.

I don't know if you guys noticed but Oscar Tshiebwe of West Virginia left the team for "personal reasons", then had Zoom interviews with 4 high D-1 programs before choosing Kentucky. No official announcement had been made on his status other than he left the team for personal reasons until the UK transfer was finally announced. Tshiebwe was one of the best freshman in the country last year, but his numbers were down and his NBA stock was being downgraded to 2nd round. Once your touches go down, your numbers go down and your mock draft status goes down, it's transfer time. He is going to UK to be showcased for NBA scouts. It's unfortunate for WVU, because he is a good player, and they had a team with a very imposing frontline that is less imposing now.

Kids now want instant results. They want minutes handed to them, they want to fast forward through the hard work and development process, and go straight to mock draft 1st round grade. But to have that grade, you need minutes and touches, and you can't slump. Oscar hit a sophomore slump, and he probably believed it was more due to Culver getting his touches than anything to do with him.

Well it's not Kenya who flipped him it's : " the strong connection that me and coach Buzz [Williams] and the rest of the coaching staff had from when they were recruiting me in high school "

JB does have very nice things to say about how UConn practiced, echoing comments by Tyrese Martin that UConn practices harder and more intensely than any team in the country. JB thinks it made him better. In the final analysis, the stuff about Hunter was just BS. I think it did come down to playing time and being viewed as more of a developmental guy than he probably thinks he is. I did not see enough to judge of him his own self assessment on what he will give Texas A&M.

JB does have very nice things to say about how UConn practiced, echoing comments by Tyrese Martin that UConn practices harder and more intensely than any team in the country. JB thinks it made him better. In the final analysis, the stuff about Hunter was just BS. I think it did come down to playing time and being viewed as more of a developmental guy than he probably thinks he is. I did not see enough to judge of him his own self assessment on what he will give Texas A&M.
Tyler thinks so too....

Also this makes alot of sense...as he mentions...

UConn also has three senior bigs who could return next season due to the new NCAA rule in Josh Carlton, Isaiah Whaley and Tyler Polley. “Due to the new rule that the NCAA put out for the seniors being able to come back, I didn’t think it was the best situation for me development-wise and play-time-wise because we have three seniors, two play my position and we have one that plays the four, so realistically that wouldn’t be the best situation for me if they come back,” he said. “I’m not 100 sure that they’re coming back, but they possibly could come back.”

If Carlton is seriously hurt this might have been a bad loss. Haven't seen Springs and so I'm losing hope for him since he's been here two years and can't seem to see the floor.

ADVERTISEMENT