ADVERTISEMENT

In-depth scouting report on Jordan McAfee by ESPN Boston

aman kidwai

Staff
Apr 28, 2015
Link: http://espn.go.com/blog/boston/high...n-mcafee-could-be-something-special-for-uconn

Highlights include:

"I was impressed with his poise in the pocket. He’s in rhythm in his drop, and he’s nice and tall. McAfee keeps his eyes down and puts the ball in the right spots."

"McAfee throws the hitch on time and with velocity. He gets the ball out quickly. Hitch’ seam is an off-coverage or bail coverage beater...Everett executes this concept well."

"He displays good accuracy when throwing the slant because he fits the ball into the receivers up field shoulder."

"McAfee really shows off his arm strength on this play. The ten yard out is an easy throw for him because he can hang, hitch up and put the ball in a spot."

Our Ethan Hammerman evaluated McAfee as well, and compared him to UConn's 2016 and 2015 QBs, Donovan Williams and Tyler Davis: https://connecticut.n.rivals.com/news/evaluating-uconn-football-s-young-and-incoming-passers (Premium)

By all accounts, seems like the Huskies have gotten a real playmaker and a complete dual-threat with potential to bring offensive excitement to UConn.

Last edited:
don't really understand the recruiting thing anyone know why mcafee doesn't have more offers , to me he looks as good as a lot of the other higher rated guys.

don't really understand the recruiting thing anyone know why mcafee doesn't have more offers , to me he looks as good as a lot of the other higher rated guys.
Part of it is just that this region doesn't really have a spotlight on it so good players will slip through the cracks like this, to UConn's benefit.

One recent example is Matt Peart, who was lightly recruited out of high school but is looking like he might be UConn's starting left tackle. He went to a prep school in Mass, didn't start playing football until late in HS, and I think his football team ran a one-dimensional offense so he was seen as a project.

But he had great footwork and athleticism, likely from playing basketball most of his life, and has adjusted quickly, even making it onto the two-deep last year as a true freshman.

Another current example, though it looks like he won't be ending up at UConn, is Mass QB Austin Burton. He's really talented, will be interesting to see where he ends up. Right now his offer list does not match his abilities in my opinion.

aman do you think they will still recruit cj lewis or other qbs for this year.
there is still a looong time until National Signing Day, so anything can happen but it doesn't seem likely that UConn would bring a second QB in this class.

ADVERTISEMENT