ADVERTISEMENT

I owe this man an apology and I hope he accepts it.....Al Gilbert Article

That's a bit harsh on yourself.
If the kid was having psych issues, he should have gotten help and/or quit basketball. Certainly the resources were available to him the last four years, and certainly Dan would have been right there for him.
I love the fact that he ended up playing an important bench role in the final months of his time here, but I don't believe that he gets a pass on his entire career here because of psych issues.
All of us are fighting pysch issues, just to a different degree. Hurley fought some demons back in the day.
Off the court, he can be a great person and worthy of everybody's support.
Off the court issues don't get you free pass from all criticism, however.
Tough struggle, to be sure, and respect for it.
Basketball wise? He was a bust, whatever the reason, and his failure to improve even a little bit over his 4 years here is the main reason we were not an NCAA team come March.
The author wrote - "If Gilbert isn’t thought of as a UConn legend when he leaves this year or next, we’re all missing the point. Badly. "
No dude, you're missing the point. We're not giving awards for life survival here. If we are, then there are 1,000 people within a short ride from campus who are doing MUCH WORSE than AG. There are thousands of fatherless african american males in the Hartford area alone who are struggling to survive every day.
I guess my point is, total support for AG, respect what he's going through, but it's a massive oversell by an overly-sensitive author to say the guy is a "legend," and it's a disservice to many many people who didn't get a free education at a great university with great medical facilities and coaches all around him to help him.

Just saw this
I had 2 immediate thoughts:

The Conor McGregor post fight speech: "I'd like to take this time to apologize................too absolutely NOBODY

I wish Wichita State was the on the 20-21 schedule, so we could take advantage of AL GILBERT's pathetic shooting and decision making.

Alterique Gilbert sucks and will always suck

Last edited:
That's a bit harsh on yourself.

I love the fact that he ended up playing an important bench role in the final months of his time here, but I don't believe that he gets a pass on his entire career here because of psych issues.......Off the court, he can be a great person and worthy of everybody's support.......Tough struggle, to be sure, and respect for it. Basketball wise? ......The author wrote - "If Gilbert isn’t thought of as a UConn legend when he leaves this year or next, we’re all missing the point. Badly. " No dude, you're missing the point. We're not giving awards for life survival here....... I guess my point is, total support for AG, respect what he's going through, but it's a massive oversell by an overly-sensitive author to say the guy is a "legend,".

Agree with the above and especially on Mike Anthony himself missing the point with his over the top "legend" comment because he gets to write an article because someone's struggles ( that many have in life at some point)....were discussed with him ...... I'll give AG props for the exact award he won ...and pass on the legend stuff too:

:

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT