ADVERTISEMENT

Herbst Upholds Ollie Termination

What’s interesting is that KO’s Attorney in that article whines and moans about disparate “harsh treatment” of KO, as compared to Calhoun who wasn’t fired. But wasn’t Kevin told at the time he was hired that there was essentially a zero tolerance policy on NCAA infractions? And also, isn’t it kind of foolish to be arranging phone calls with Ray Allen for a recruit and shooting baskets with a recruit who isn’t medically cleared to play basketball?

What also bothers me is if these things were discussed in meetings with the coaching staff, did not one of these knuckleheads have an NCAA rule book to check to see if the contemplated conduct was NCAA-kosher?

A standard was clearly set when KO signed that contract, he was expected to run a clean program. Instead, he fired a guy for telling him to pump the breaks on his indiscriminate violations. At least nobody will accuse Kevin of being too smart for his own good.

On WFAN New York during lunch today, John Feinstein delivered commentary that was sharply critical of UConn on this matter. He opined that the cited NCAA violations were minor in nature and that the real reason for sustaining the termination was to avoid paying Ollie. No mention was made of the zero tolerance policy on NCAA infractions. Feinstein also said he thought UConn should settle with Ollie prior to arbitration. The question is whether Ollie can be made to go away for $3 million or more like $7 million. If Ollie demands the full $10 million there would be no reason not to roll the dice with arbitration. We make the same decisions every day on whether to take cases to trial. Sometimes there is no choice when the demand for settlement amounts to a King’s ransom that is not warranted by the reasonable trial maximum exposure.

You know the only thing that's really shocking about this case regarding these KO apologists and the "lazy national media" who want to chime in ? Is if Uconn didn't leave itself language to get out of the contract if he was failing across the board in his job, which he was. From NCAA compliance to winning, to killing Uconn's MBB attendance. Who deserves a $10 million no-show job ( besides his wife ;)), with what's he's done to this program ? He knew the deal when he signed up. The way he handled it the last few years was like he wanted to get fired so he could sit at home counting his $$$, because he knew he was in over his head and personally I don't think he's smart enough or a sharp enough communicator to handle the job. ....

KO a victim of Uconn ? F@#K that..... The only victim in all of this, if this clown gets another dime, is the fanbase, season ticket holders and donors who've spent our hard earned money & been loyal to this program for decades.

Last edited:
The Titanic was run better than uconn under Ollie.

He should head back to the NBA as an assistant if he can, because I doubt he ever gets another chance in D1.

I just came from that zoo they call a fan site.

More like a kevin ollie fan site.

People calling gm a rat, saying they're going to heckle him at st Joe's, st Joe's should fire him, they're hating on Jim for keeping him around.

Not a single one of them can wrap their minds around the fact that GM did the right thing in face of an investigation while any and all problems with the Uconn program with regard to compliance, recruiting and performance are the result of one person who couldn't do his job.

Hating on GM while ignoring the guy who left a smoldering program in his wake.

Not uconn fans

Reactions: Shaggydog84
It has been more than 15 days (calendar and business) since Herbst upheld the termination. Why haven't we heard about the arbitration decision? Does no news imply anything?

Actually there is no indication that an arbitration hearing has been scheduled, although that is the next step. Once a hearing is actually scheduled it can be anywhere from 30-120 days for a decision. I don't know if the arbitrator is given any timeline for issuing a decision.

That is what is baffling. If arbitration was chosen, wouldn't that be known by now? If it wasn't, does it imply that either the two sides are negotiating a settlement or that Ollie has chosen to file a lawsuit or, perhaps, both?

It may imply that they are trying to negotiate settlement. It's possible that they have simply agreed to extend the time to request arbitration, while simultaneously negotiating towards a settlement of all claims, including the alleged defamation of Ollie.

For those who missed the latest :
"UConn was not named as a culprit in the notice of allegations. Sanctions against the program could come from this, but UConn, having already fired Ollie, could impose its own sanctions and perhaps avoid more serious penalties from the NCAA. "

He needs to fire that PR firm he hired too. I said all along that the stuff coming out from him had to be written by somebody else....boy have they done a bad job of trying to put lipstick on a pig ...this article from a few days ago by the New London Day:

" News item: Kevin Ollie, UConn's former men's basketball coach, has retained the services of a Hartford-based public relations firm to help his cause against his former employer. "

Full read- Ollie's recent public relations plan reeks of hypocrisy

Last edited:
Here is a detailed report from ESPN which also includes a claim by Griffin that Glen Miller "is the one who should be investigated" by the NCAA:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...evin-ollie-hit-ethics-charge-faces-show-cause

"Well, he got fired," Griffin said. "If he didn't get fired, then the ball keeps rolling until, ultimately, the whole staff would have been let go. I have text messages from Glen asking me about recruiting, asking me for information, asking me for phone numbers. He's the one that needs to be investigated. I have correspondence from him that I'm ready to show."

Sounds like enough drama to compete with the Brett Kavanaugh confirmation hearings we have been watching the past few days.........

Here is a detailed report from ESPN which also includes a claim by Griffin that Glen Miller "is the one who should be investigated" by the NCAA:
I stopped reading these " Myron Medcalf (ESPN Writer ) stories" awhile ago. What I figured out right from the start is that Medcalf is KO's (and/or his PR firms) go to guy in the media to try & make himself look good.

Last edited:
Courant's Mike Anthony: NCAA's Notice Of Allegations A Validation Of Sorts For UConn's Decision To Fire Kevin Ollie

"The NCAA has alleged that Ollie committed a bevy of violations, the most serious of which – and it is, indeed, very serious – is unethical conduct for providing false or misleading information throughout the course of the investigation....The coverup, that old saying goes, is worse than the crime and that is particularly true with the NCAA. You’re better off lying to the FBI."

Last edited:
Gee, even Dukie V has changed his tune about KO. Remember when Vitale joined the media who was out white knighting for KO ? Well not anymore. He joins the Courant's pod cast:

“It’s an ugly soap opera,” Vitale said. “No question about it; very ugly, sad, really tragic in a way. Here is a guy [Ollie] who was on top of the world, had everything in front of him and allowed it to go — not making good decisions. Things have changed. My tenor has changed after reading the NCAA findings. I now look back and think that maybe [UConn] has been right about the millions they owe him. Why should they give it to someone who has had all these violations if they’re valid and true?”

ADVERTISEMENT