ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coach Scott Burrell

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
New interview with Scotty who's now the HC @ D-2 Southern after spending 8 years in his hometown of Hamden at Quinnipiac with Tom Moore ( now an assistant at URI with Dan Hurley).

His inaugural season @ SCSU was a success at 24-8 and he qualified for the NCAA's 2 years in a row. For the young fans who don't remember him, he was the first American athlete picked in the first round of two major sports (the NBA and MLB). It should be interesting to see if he moves up the coaching ranks given his extensive background. Sharp guy as always....maybe JC handed off the Uconn job to the wrong ex-Huskie ?

Last edited:
As far as I can tell JC made one consistent mistake throughout the course of his career, he gave too many chances to kids who didn't have the capacity to succeed and he did the same in naming his successor. We've got a couple former Huskies to keep an eye on. Pikiell and Burrell are definitely on interesting trajectories.

He is a possible coach in waiting. Have no idea who that dude Wu is but he wasn't well prepared for the interview. Anyone who is a UConn fan of that era knows Scott played minor league baseball. The Wu kid is amateur hour compared to Roy Firestone or even Jimmy Rome.

Last edited:
I've seen a few interviews with current and former uconn players by that kid and he's ' turrible', as Charles Barkley would say. Somehow, he gets good guests. I believe he was a uconn student(notice I didn't say grad).

Burrell won a ring with Jordan and was a multiple sport star. Plus he's articulate and has a good sense of humor. Make this happen.

Reactions: the Blades
I've seen a few interviews with current and former uconn players by that kid and he's ' turrible', as Charles Barkley would say. Somehow, he gets good guests. I believe he was a uconn student(notice I didn't say grad).

Yeah... that's what he mentioned in a video he did with Mamadou last year, he also grew up in Queens & went to middle school with Taliek:

A new update on Scotty :

Former UConn Star Scott Burrell Only Focused On Coaching SCSU

Burrell, of course, won’t totally rule out jobs elsewhere.“If something comes up I will definitely look at it but I’m not looking at every job and trying to get out of Southern because I do enjoy where I am,” Burrell said. Burrell did interview for the Quinnipiac job left vacant when Moore was let go after 10 seasons in the spring. It eventually went to former Villanova associate coach Baker Dunleavy. How serious Burrell was considered is another matter but it wasn’t something he wanted to talk aboutl. Many close to Burrell say he really wanted a crack at that job.

ADVERTISEMENT