ADVERTISEMENT

Hamidou Diallo Pulling in New Offers

As the latest Uconn Report story mentions " UConn's involvement with McGusty may be related to the pursuit of two other guards, Markelle Fultz and Hamidou Diallo." and "Offering McGusty could put pressure on Diallo to reclassify to 2016 and join his Putnam Science Academy teammate Mamadou Diarra at UConn."

UConn Offers 4-Star SG Kameron McGusty

No surprise that the #19th ranked 2017 on this site is getting more suitors....and I don't know about the pressuring angle above, but I'm sure KO would take any of the 3 .

Also played well last night..same question..where do we stand? 2016 or 2017?

Diallo can pretty much wait as long as he wants to reclassify to '16. He gains nothing from reclassifying earlier. UConn seems to be in a good standing right now.

I feel pretty comfortable the staff will do what it takes

Once the big boys and their handlers get involved these kids are exposed to being kids. Meaning they get bamboozled and lured to places like UK by any means necessary. Not saying we dont have a shot but there is some solace knowing we probably lose out on a lot of the Top 10's because we dont play that game. KO is brutally honest with kids from what I hear and they all know it will take hard work to play for UCONN.

I hope Ozzie is right....he was right on Gibbs and I never even heard UConn was involved with Gibbs or knew he was on the market as a grad transfer until Ozzie posted it......

Diallo is coming...
From your lips to God's ears! I hope so.

It is interesting that two kids that Ollie was on early, Gabriel and Diallo, are two of the biggest risers this summer. I guess that's good scouting. Now if we could just get these kids to commit before everyone else figures out how good they are.

Good talent evaluation is critical but so is ability to assess guys who have talent, are coachable and have work ethic and character. When a guy has that package of things he usually rises...........and UConn is on those package guys early.

Ozzie has always had great info...

Uconn needs to close the deal on both of them.

Ozzie...does your statement, "Diallo is coming" imply he's coming in 2016? Or are you just saying he will be a Husky at some point.

I don't know about 2016 yet or if he stays in 2017 but he is ours!
I like hearing that, oh wizard behind the curtain. Most here probably already know it, but you can watch a replay, or at least you could the other day, of both HamD and Gabriel on WatchESPN if you have the right cable carrier. HamD is explosive and fun to watch. Gabriel is a high motor, true stretch-4. He's thin now, but once he adds a little meat to that long frame he's going to be an even bigger handful. Really nice handle for a kid his size. There was another Diallo on his team who's big, long and really active around the basket. I don't know what class he is and who might be on him, but he's going to be a nice catch for whoever lands him.

If we can lock these two up for 2016, we'll have a heck of a class, and I think our chances of adding a 5th is quite achievable. Diarra, Gilbert, Diallo and Gabriel all seem like great fits for our program. KO and his staff are doing a great job in the recruiting trenches. If they don't land either of these two, it won't be due to being outworked, that's for sure!

I'm not a huge fan of the re-classification thing. It worked for us and Shabazz, but I was watching ESPN the other day. ESPN described the re-classification thing as a means to make more money in the NBA. Get into the league quicker. Get into the 2nd contract quicker. I'm not sure I really believe ESPN. They sorta suck, but if they are correct the re-classification thing is something the one and done types will do. Diallo seems very good and I would take him all day, but if comes in 2016 (like most of us hope) that may mean he's a 1-and-done guy. I don't think 1-and-done type players will help Connecticut. I doubt we ever get 3 to 5 1-and-done guys...like Kentucky and Duke. Kansas get's 1-2 one and done guys and Kansas has become a fake good team.

I'm not a huge fan of the re-classification thing. It worked for us and Shabazz, but I was watching ESPN the other day. ESPN described the re-classification thing as a means to make more money in the NBA. Get into the league quicker. Get into the 2nd contract quicker. I'm not sure I really believe ESPN. They sorta suck, but if they are correct the re-classification thing is something the one and done types will do. Diallo seems very good and I would take him all day, but if comes in 2016 (like most of us hope) that may mean he's a 1-and-done guy. I don't think 1-and-done type players will help Connecticut. I doubt we ever get 3 to 5 1-and-done guys...like Kentucky and Duke. Kansas get's 1-2 one and done guys and Kansas has become a fake good team.

I think that is a huge leap...

Any re-classification from Diallo would be because he is simply ready to contribute at the collegiate level in 2016 rather than continue to dominate HS for another season. If he knows where he wants to go (Ozzie says its UConn) and his game is ready (it is) then why not. In these cases it is a no-brainer for these athletes to re-classify.

Think of it as a player who is considering leaving early for the draft. If they truly are ready to make the jump to the league then there aren't many reasons to stick around in school. You can suffer an injury/under perform and watch your stock drop - the idea of re-classifying is of the same nature.

Give me Hami and the sooner the better. The anticipation will be too much to bare if it won't be until 2017.

Like I said, my comments are based on ESPN statements and I'm continually unimpressed with ESPN. I'll take him whenever. Hopefully we get him for at least 2 yrs.

by the way, that should be a separate thread. how lousy ESPN is. Has anyone seen the latest top 25 list...we are not on it. Not that it matters, but ESPN should have more of a clue. Our roster is potentially very good.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT