ADVERTISEMENT

Glen Miller article.....

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
"The timing of his dismissal put Miller in a tough situation. He continues to take the high road, declining to publicly discuss his feelings about Ollie's decision and their relationship."

It's amazing that there has been absolutely zero in the press about the "behind the scenes" reasons, or purported reasons, for the firing of Glen Miller. I am still somewhat puzzled by it. I wonder if Miller and UConn signed off on a mutual non-disparagement clause as part of his severance agreement.

He seems very qualified to coach somewhere, but seems unwanted and could end up as a gym/Physical Education teacher at Bloomfield High.............

Why can't he even get an assistant job at Penn or Brown or Conn. Colllege? These are not exactly powerhouse programs.......

Last edited:
Doesn't help when your HC is clueless and blames you for his inability to look like a basketball team. He would need to catch on with someone he knows, who would have to have an opening. I said it the day it happened, he threw Glen under the bus after all that guy did for the program, and the morons think we've upgraded. Ok. Nobody in the history of anything was kicked off a sinking ship and approved of the captain, imagine the gems Miller is sitting on, my guess is we get to hear them if he doesn't land a BB job.

Reactions: the Blades
It's amazing that there has been absolutely zero in the press about the "behind the scenes" reasons, or purported reasons, for the firing of Glen Miller. I am still somewhat puzzled by it. I wonder if Miller and UConn signed off on a mutual non-disparagement clause as part of his severance agreement.

He seems very qualified to coach somewhere, but seems unwanted and could end up as a gym/Physical Education teacher at Bloomfield High.............

Why can't he even get an assistant job at Penn or Brown or Conn. Colllege? These are not exactly powerhouse programs.......
State employee on a 1-year renewable contract, unemployment benefits no severance. He would have been paid until the end of his contract. He's keeping quiet either because he doesn't want to look petty while he's on a job search or some other personal reason I couldn't guess at, but I'm sure both sides are legally free to spill the beans.

You can see what Ollie was doing last year when he hired Killings. Add a bunch of underlings who aren't a threat and who don't have more head coaching experience than he does. JC put together a good team for KO that knew the ins and outs of CBB coaching. Andre Lafluer saw the handwriting on the wall and left because even though he had more coaching experience, he knew he was being bypassed. Miller and Hobbs both accepted their roles to spoon feed KO through the process. Ollie sucked up the place last year and was threatened by a guy on his bench with more HC experience than him, who could take over on the fly if the AD wanted to make a change. Now there is no one on the bench with any head coaching experience besides KO. But I feel bad that Miller was the fall guy after all the loyalty he showed to the program. Which is alot more than KO did when he shook down the school for a salary he hasn't earned yet because of a few NBA rumors.....Will all of this create a better Uconn program going forward ?.... Only time will tell.

Last edited:
Blades that is a pretty good analysis and who knows if it is any more than that. One consequence of all of what you say is this: you can't make the money Ollie is making and post two losing records in a row and/or have 3 out of 4 years not making the NCAA tournament. It's not acceptable and would lead to a termination and house-cleaning. So this is the year that Ollieball gets put to the possibly final test. If he doesn't win this year I believe there could be a sweeping housecleaning and a new regime and staff from the top down. I still think KO can turn it around and I am rooting for him to do so, but you cannot make $3 million plus and suck. Bottom line there will be no excuses or scapegoats this time.

Reactions: the Blades
Boy I thought the Boneyard had too many angry nuts but this forum is giving the BY a run for its money.

As for the article, it was very sad to hear about Glenn's situation. I really hope that he finds a coaching job soon. He is a great coach and I was also very disappointed that he was let go.

I am a very big supporter of KO and I still think he is the right coach for UConn but how the firing of Glenn played out is certainly a kink his armor.

No he wasn't fired because he viewed Glenn has a threat. UConn would not have hired Glenn if KO ever gets fired. The AD would go after top coaching names in the country.

Glenn was fired because of the situation with Hamidou and the KO wanting a guy that would start bringing in 5 star players. He wanted Chillius to join the staff when Hobbs left but they couldn't afford him.

There was an expectation that some changes had to be made after an unacceptable season. It was unfortunate that those changes played out like this.

Thank you coach Miller for your time here at UConn. I hope you land at a great situation soon.

Reactions: UconNell
I agree he probably did not fire Miller because he saw him as a threat, I believe he fired him because he undervalued his scouting, didn't know he was keeping the team together, thought he could easily replace his recruiting, refused to understand that his inability to diagram an offense that put points on the board was the reasdon he was losing out on recruits and he needed someone to chain the anchor to so he could excuse his failures.

Good news. His buyout is only a million this year

Last edited:
Correct Miller probably would have never became permanent, he would have been a TJ Weist, just like Uconn had when they got rid of Pasqualoni in FB. But to disrespect a loyal guy on his staff, with that much experience, that JC put in place for him when he handed KO the job on a silver platter says plenty more about KO than we need to know. And AFG Husky we know your a frickin lemming who can't think for himself... so just stick to your pom poms and spare me the insults.

Last edited:
Correct Miller would have never became permanent, he would have been a TJ Weist, just like Uconn had when they got rid of Pasqualoni in FB. But to disrespect a loyal guy on his staff on with that much experience that JC put in place for him when handed KO the job on a silver platter says plenty more about KO than we need to know. And AFG Husky we know your a frickin lemming who can't think for himself... so just stick to your pom poms and spare me the insults.

I can think for myself, if I wanted to go with the crowd I would join the KO bashing.

Do I tend to see life as cup half full rather than half empty? Yes, and I'm happy I do. Beyond being a naturally upbeat guy, there is also the fact that KO won a national championship! There were analystics done showing UConn had one of the highest points scored coming off timeouts. That's due to great coaching.

Once again I'll just say the firing of Glenn Miller is the most I've been dissappointed in KO. UConn is all about loyalty and this move was contrary to our programs DNA. However there had to be changes made, but I wish it was handled in a better way.

Overall I'm confident in KOs coaching and recruiting. I just hope Glenn finds a good situation soon.

KSTW I think you summed up the whole situation perfectly: " I still think KO can turn it around and I am rooting for him to do so, but you cannot make $3 million plus and suck .... no excuses or scapegoats this time."...... No anger or nuts on this board... just opinions, critiquing and questions..... because we all want the same thing ..... WINNING !

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Once again I'll just say the firing of Glenn Miller is the most I've been dissappointed in KO. UConn is all about loyalty and this move was contrary to our programs DNA.

I agree with this, and nobody has mentioned that UConn could have simply reassigned Miller to other duties in the program without firing him, and replaced him with Chillious, if in fact that was why the move was made. If the theory that he was the cause of losing Diallo is accurate (which I do not buy as the reason at all), they also lost MAL because he was not retained, so it's a wash by that reasoning. But if he couldn't close the deal on recruits then you can still reassign him, and replace him, without looking like a disloyal backstabber. A few years ago when the then Texas Athletic Director (who was fired himself a year later) told Rick Barnes to fire some staff or be fired himself, Barnes stood up to him and chose self-firing, rather than bury his staff. He was lauded around the nation for loyally standing up for his assistants against the threat of being fired himself, which he then was. As others have said the Miller firing looks like a disloyal scapegoating of a long trusted assistant with an excellent reputation. It was a very bad decision all around IMHO, at worst this guy should have been reassigned to other duties. He did nothing to deserve losing his job.

KO is the Gene Chizik of College hoop. Right place at the right time and Nape turned into Cam Newton in April.

Win the American and at least two games in the tourney or someone should be writing this article about Ollie this time next year.

Look who's joining Calhoun ( I'm sure you all read about JC becoming a part time SJ's consultant, his Uconn contract runs to 2018) at D3 St Joe's in West Hartford..... #LOYALTY

Last edited:
I don't understand why going forward Calhoun isn't consulting for UConn? UConn can't use his knowledge and expertise? SJU can afford to pay him more?

The article says Miller has the full time position at St Joe's.... JC is just a part time guy, for now...."He remains a full-time state employee under the contract he signed in July 2014, as special assistant to the director of athletics. The Uconn contract expires March 20, 2018, and Calhoun has agreed to but not signed a new one."

also: "The Catholics preach poverty and every one of their employees to do the same," joked Calhoun, an Irish-Catholic. "I'm not doing ESPN this year, so this definitely is not an economic decision for me."

Last edited:
I know all about Catholics and poverty because I was educated at Fairfield Prep, by tough old Irish Jesuits who had personalities like Calhoun and tolerated absolutely no nonsense in their classrooms. In fact, just to graduate I was required to do 40 hours of community service although I was given the choice of how to do it. I interned at the Dinan Center in Bridgeport, working as a caretaker for permanently disabled individuals. I played checkers with them, assisted them with daily activities like being wheeled into church etc. I feel like more of this should be required. I was also required to do various charity endeavors including a walkathon although i can't recall which of the charities was benefitted at the moment.

Although I do not practice Catholicism as a religion that education made me a better person.

Jim Calhoun's Search For Right Arm Started, Ended With Glen Miller

"Did I think he was crazy? Yes," said Glen Miller, who arrived on the West Hartford campus to begin work on Friday. "But as time went along and we had more conversations, I realized that he really wanted to do it. He told me he wanted me to come with him and help him build a program from scratch at St. Joe's, and as time went on, one phone call led to another and another."

Miller, who was let go as UConn's associate head coach last March, was looking for an opportunity to get back in the game, and not only had he been part of championship teams as a UConn assistant, he had experience building a Division III program at Connecticut College.

Doesn't help when your HC is clueless and blames you for his inability to look like a basketball team. He would need to catch on with someone he knows, who would have to have an opening. I said it the day it happened, he threw Glen under the bus after all that guy did for the program, and the morons think we've upgraded. Ok. Nobody in the history of anything was kicked off a sinking ship and approved of the captain, imagine the gems Miller is sitting on, my guess is we get to hear them if he doesn't land a BB job.
Huge upgrade for Huskies with Chill. Thank god Head Coach KO had the guts to get rid of Glenn.I realize Glenn made a huge amount of money but he just wasn't worth it.

We never got the full story on the Miller ouster but I suspect part of it was he got flat out scapegoated for an underachieving offense, and part of it was a personality issue between KO and he, and that he was never one of KO's guys but instead was one of JC's guys as we all know. When you look at it from that standpoint it becomes understandable if not justifiable.

Part of the life of a sports assistant coach is sometimes he gets blamed by GM/head coach/AD for a general program or team failure and sometimes he gets blamed for personality issues or clashes. It's not necessarily always fair. Sometimes in baseball a very good hitting coach gets fired even though the reason a team is sucking is injuries or underperformance or aging players. It's not fair but it is what you sign up for. In basketball sometimes things don't work out on the floor because of chemistry, even some of Calhoun's teams like the 2009-10 team which was an erratic and underperforming team. And when those things happen coaching staff can get blamed for chemistry or personnel issues. As fans it upsets us if we think guys are being scapegoated. But another side of it is that sometimes changes do need to be made, and then if you have the same issues you know it wasn't the guy who was canned the prior year.

This year the Detroit Tigers relieved their manager Brad Ausmus of his duties. If any of you follow baseball you know the Tigers' bullpen has sucked monkey balls very consistently for close to 8-9 years. Which was long before Ausmus got there. It isn't hard to put together a good bullpen in baseball for minimal investments in personnel. So to me that is a problem I don't understand and it wasn't the fault of Ausmus. But he was canned anyway.

Huge upgrade for Huskies with Chill. Thank god Head Coach KO had the guts to get rid of Glenn.I realize Glenn made a huge amount of money but he just wasn't worth it.
We don't know that regarding Chill just yet because he sure didn't do Washington/Romar any favors after they both ended up in the unemployment line after a 9-22 record with the No. 7-rated class of 2015 & the number one pick in the draft this year .....as far a salaries you could certainly say the same about HC KO lately but he's still employed. So let's not go overboard on Chill and let's also hope that his AAU/ Nike EYB connections are squeaky clean, not a good time to have any skeletons... that helped him scoop up talent to the west coast ....fall out of his closet now that he's at Uconn....;)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT