ADVERTISEMENT

Geno Wins 1,099, Passes Summitt In Rout of Butler

KhalidShockedTheWorld

Mar 28, 2009
I don't know if you saw the game tonight but UConn really whipped Butler, by a final margin of 68. Butler had 2 solid guards but they were playing 2 on 5 most of the game, and then one of the 2 got in foul trouble and it became 1 on 5, and things went downhill for them from there. Griffin won POG with a 17 point, 10 rebound double double (and great defense), but I thought the whole team played well, and every girl on the UConn team scored, except Makurat, who had 6 assists and 5 rebounds, and contributed. I don't think Anna even put up a shot all night.

At one point, Geno yanked Muhl and was seen in animated conversation with her on the bench. I did not see what immediately precipitated the benching but Muhl appeared to be playing too fast at times and was possibly confusing her teammates with her play. She later went back in, but when Geno was letting her have it, she did not look too happy. She seems to look better physically and drained a 3, but she has not totally figured out what is expected of her.

Autumn Chassion came in at the end and hit 2 shots and finished with 5 points. She is the very last girl on the bench and to me she looks like a solid player who could play at a school like Fairfield or Sacred Heart, and maybe even be one of their better players.

All 5 UConn starters had double figures scoring:

Westbrook, 14 points, 3 assists
Bueckers, 13 points, 8 assists
Williams, 17 points, 3 assists
Griffin 17 points, 10 boards
Ododa, 18 points, 3 boards

UConn shot 61..5% FGs, 10-22 on 3s (45.5%), and had 26 assists against 11 TOs.

Next up is a game on ESPN Thursday night at 7 pm, at #25 Tennessee, which should be a very good test for this team.

ADVERTISEMENT