ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday?

Was hoping to see some comments from your fans who think you have a chance tonight. Oh well.

If it was November, instead of August, I think the spread wouldn't be quite so large.
It could actually be larger as our players will have gotten through some tough games by then and our defense will hopefully be more in tune with the new system (and learn how to tackle).

Last night's score was about what we expected though your QB and running game in general shredded us all game for big yards. That needs to be fixed or we may be in trouble against teams like Navy etc.

In the bigger picture where is the program going? Season tickets at 9,500, down from 32,500 in 2005. 17,000 empty seats last night for a team that went undefeated last year and claimed to be national champs. The numbers are discouraging. This is what is holding UConn out of a power conference. There just doesn’t seem to be long term improvement. I think the northern schools have a disadvantage in football over the UCFs of the world. I still think the Big East was the best situation for UConn because it could be with like basketball schools. Is it better to have a football program that is a joke than no D-1 program? Not so sure. Maybe the Villanova model is better.

There is a systemic downturn in ticket sales across the country, but that is not what has driven season ticket sales into the toilet for UConn. The conference change, awful basketball tip off times and dates combined with losing, and for football most of all losing. After last nights performance, I have zero regret in not renewing my season tickets. I was feeling the itch to go yesterday though. All those people that had tickets in the past, have good memories, and with a winning program, probably could be drawn back. It sucks, but Randy Edsall has to get the time to see if all these freshmen he is playing have the talent level to play in the AAC. I wonder what the heck Diaco was doing with a recruiting plan, and who was supervising him. Much different than basketball - basketball can thrive, with a single decent recruiting class of a few playerss. Football, you need to hit on a dozen players several years in a row to get out of the hole we're in. Ollie just wasn't getting it done recruiting either.

Reactions: the Blades
It could actually be larger as our players will have gotten through some tough games by then and our defense will hopefully be more in tune with the new system (and learn how to tackle).

Last night's score was about what we expected though your QB and running game in general shredded us all game for big yards. That needs to be fixed or we may be in trouble against teams like Navy etc.

Turnovers, penalties, and sloppy undisciplined play from a young UConn team is what put the game out of hand very quickly - a disciplined and minimal mistake performance, and the game could have been much different. That's what's just really annoying about yet another coach bringing in his own crop of players in this 8 year mess since the Fiesta bowl, because of all the mistakes, there is not way to know if these coaches and players are good enough to compete.

Good luck w the rest of the season. I hope that kid that knocked out on the opening kick is ok.

On defense alone it's amazing how many points they gave up because of blown coverage where nobody ( yes nobody) was covering their assignments....here's the ugly looking replay below. The communication in the secondary has gotta change but with Boise St. scoring 56 points on the road ( to 20.... vs a team that went 11-2 last year ), as only about a 10 point favorite...I expect more of the same in the Broncos home opener next Saturday against the Uconn Puppies:

Yes it was ugly for sure, a real sucking of moose balls on execution/keeping assignments. The better teams in college football execute on a high level and missed assignments are going to lead to points. I watched the Alabama-Louisville game last night and Louisville, although they gave up 51 points, wasn't nearly as bad as UConn in the secondary. Alabama was just executing at a high level and their QB was ON THE MONEY with his passes (remarkably so). Sometimes if the coverage is decent and you are up against a QB who is threading the needle with his passes there is not much you can do, but when you totally miss assignments and there is no play on the ball it's just easy points for the other team.

What we can hope for is that the UConn puppies take their beatings early and learn fast. This is where the coaching will come in. Hopefully there is improvement as the season goes on.

I did a quick look-up of how bad Diaco f#cked up Uconn's recruiting. Edsall was forced to play 11 TRUE FR yesterday. For comparison the year that Uconn went to the Fiesta Bowl ( Connecticut recruits 2010) they had 20 true FR. Exactly one of them played... Taylor Mack only as a punt returner. The 19 that redshirted & didn't play as true FR included 3 future NFL draft picks( one a first rounder ) and 3 more that signed with NFL teams.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
Speaking of Diaco, after being fired by Nebraska last year after presiding over a horror show defense there, he managed to get a job with U of Oklahoma as a “defensive analyst.” I don’t know exactly what a “defensive analyst” does, but sounds like a step or two below defensive coordinator. So he has gone from defensive coordinator at ND, to head coach at UConn, to DC at Nebraska, to defensive analyst at OU. His last two stops have been steps down. UConn was the only job where he took a step up in the last 4 job stops.

Yeah, 3 years at one school is like an eternity for Diaco, he's been at 10 schools in less than 20 years, but Warde gave him a winning ticket and it's been all downhill ever since....Paul Pasqualoni on the other hand just won his own lottery, the guy is 69 years old and he's back in the NFL as a DC, I guess it's nice to help out the right people when their young. Former Patriots DC, Matt Patricia, is now the Lions head coach and who do you think the former Cuse grad assistant hired ?...PS. the Lions GM, Bob Quinn, is a former Patriots guy & Uconn grad/ GA...who hired Edsall for a year...small world/network, I guess ...

Last edited:
I did a quick look-up of how bad Diaco f#cked up Uconn's recruiting. Edsall was forced to play 11 TRUE FR yesterday. For comparison the year that Uconn went to the Fiesta Bowl ( Connecticut recruits 2010) they had 20 true FR. Exactly one of them played... Taylor Mack only as a punt returner. The 19 that redshirted & didn't play as true FR included 3 future NFL draft picks( one a first rounder ) and 3 more that signed with NFL teams.

I was not a big fan of bringing Edsall back, but if he can repeat in recruiting, it is worth it. But if he fails, it will be another 4-5 years of losing.

ADVERTISEMENT