ADVERTISEMENT

Game week - Holy Cross

the Blades

Gold Member
Jan 20, 2003
"In the modern world of college football, UConn needs to move the ball and score points. Yet there are some inescapable points about Crocker's importance, too......

"Diaco, the DC when Notre Dame got to the national title game, was obsessed with defense and staging press conference shows. If he spent as much time managing the entire program as he did trying to figure out ways to run more time off the clock and telling stories about fish cakes and Nickelodeon he may still have a job in Storrs........He had a very good collection of defensive players, yet they dipped from 33rd to 65th in total defense (355 to 441 yards) from 2015. They gave up 28.1 points (also 65th) and were next to last in the AAC in pass defense, sacks (17) and interceptions (seven). Those numbers didn't come nearly close enough to covering an offense that averaged 14.8 points a game."

"I knew we had to do things a little bit different on defense," Edsall said. "In this day and age it's hard to find down linemen. Look at the league we play in with spread offenses and three- and four-wide receiver sets. The 3-3-5 gives you a lot of flexibility to face what we're going to see most of the time. It's also a matter of the best opportunity of attracting the kind of kids you can get."

"His defense will be aggressive. It will not be in containment mode."

Full read- Crocker Comes Home, Hoping To Make UConn's D Elite Once Again

DH8G_YiUIAA49dj.jpg

Should be interesting. I think HC just recently began to give schollies again just like in their ole days. Maybe last year they started? So, not sure they're on the same level as a Townson or even Maine for that matter.

Should be interesting. I think HC just recently began to give schollies again just like in their ole days. Maybe last year they started? So, not sure they're on the same level as a Townson or even Maine for that matter.

True Shaggy, It looks like it's going on 4/5 years, so I guess Uconn is their first test drive back to playing FBS teams:

" In 2013, much to the delight of alumni and fans, the Patriot League transitioned back to traditional scholarship football. As parts of its resurgence, Holy Cross will take on Boston College, Syracuse, Navy, and UConn in upcoming seasons. "

But from what I've read HC/ the Patriot league only started at 15 in 2013 and added another 15 each year up to a max of 60. So they are still a couple short of a full FCS team. I'll just be happy to watch some aggressive FB for a change and hopefully not trying to hold onto the ball and running out the clock from these terrible late breaking huddles that Diaco demanded his OC's use trying to just squeak by a ( fill in the blank ) opponent. If it becomes a shoot out, so be it.

Last edited:
True Shaggy, It looks like it's going on 4/5 years, so I guess Uconn is their first test drive back to playing FBS teams:

" In 2013, much to the delight of alumni and fans, the Patriot League transitioned back to traditional scholarship football. As parts of its resurgence, Holy Cross will take on Boston College, Syracuse, Navy, and UConn in upcoming seasons. "

But from what I've read HC/ the Patriot league only started at 15 in 2013 and added another 15 each year up to a max of 60. So they are still a couple short of a full FCS team. I'll just be happy to watch some aggressive FB for a change and hopefully not trying to hold onto the ball and running out the clock from these terrible late breaking huddles that Diaco demanded his OC's use trying to just squeak by a ( fill in the blank ) opponent. If it becomes a shoot out, so be it.
Thx Blades. Crazy how time flies. Ya know, I'm embarrassed thinking back how long I believed in Bobby Red Pants. Like a friggin spell was put on me. Or i was part of a cult & couldn't get out haha. Now I know how Leah felt...no disrespect to anyone into Scientology :)

Yeah, I think we all drank the Kool-aid for awhile..but after PP I guess we had to believe in something.. the Army game @ Yankee Stadium in year one was a clue as to how bad HCBD was on game days..... and then the tougher things got the more conservative he would get. Afraid to return punts ? trying to run down the clock or play field position when he's down 3 TD's or more last year ?....Well looks like that snail slow, huddle era is gone !!! ... along with PP and George's Deleone's stroll up to the line of scrimmage ( then hand off up the middle, hand off up the middle, pass on 3rd and long, then punt) less we forget ......

Courant: Rhett The Jet: Lashlee Pilots Fast-Paced UConn Offense

Last edited:
Reactions: Shaggydog84
Big shout out to Bryant Sherriffs, almost looked like the difference for the Patriots between Tom Brady and Jacoby Brissett. One guy was a good athlete and did a
decent job, but he was throwing up wounded ducks into double coverage, couldn't keep a drive going and was lucky he didn't have a couple of picks besides his fumble that handed Holy Cross a gift TD deep in the Uconn zone. Sherriffs on the other hand brought the team to life, was throwing bullets right into the receivers hands, kept every drive going that mattered along with 3 TD's on his first 4 possessions. The OL was still a sieve on way to many plays and it could get downright ugly vs. a top 20 like USF next week, no matter who the starting QB is. But take the FCS win for the start of the Edsall rebuild and move on.

Also with Foley getting tossed and now Junior Joseph looking like he could be out for awhile, the lack of depth and size left behind by Diaco on the DL and especially depth with the LB's ( which was supposed to be BD's baby) is stunning. This D is becoming completely undermanned fast.

But for my money you have to go with Sherriffs vs. USF because when the lights came on the other guy looked marginal. Plus this :
"Shirreffs became the fifth UConn player with at least 5,000 yards of total offense but he was more concerned about helping the Huskies post its biggest come-front-behind win since rallying from 21 down to beat Temple in 2013. " .....There's also something be said for a guy who's been through it all with his team mates. Anyway.. next week is gonna be a quick reality check...especially with the banged up LB's and youthful (inexperienced) DB's on defense.

Also second game ball to:

Post game:
Hartford Courant- Shirreffs Comes Off Bench, Leads UConn To Comeback Win

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT