ADVERTISEMENT

Every Year with DH is Average

Calhoun_for_President

Jul 18, 2004
It starts off promising, a quality win or 2 against good competition in a pre season tourney.
They are tagged with an inflated and undeserved "ranking". These rankings are just so fugazy.
Then the calendar turns, conference play starts, and the real UCONN reveals itself.

The real UCONN under DH is average at best.
Wins games they should win.
Loses games they should lose.

UCONN under DH is the epitome of average in todays college basketball.
Average is good enough to make the tourney as an at large.
Average has a 50-50 shot to win there 1st round game, and then a ZERO shot to advance beyond.

This is UCONN now and for the next 5 years.
Because UCONN settled and gave DH an extension before it was earned.

DHs recruiting is average. No NBA players on the current roster.
DHs in game is average at best. Replay his sets off TOs in close situations.

UCONN strives for and has accepted average, backing the sadly average Danny Hurley.

To quote Rick James, I wish I had 4 hands............to give DHs average ass 4 thumbs down

All this team does is beat below average to average teams and lose to good teams.
This is all it has consistently done under the DH regime.

Beating teams you should works in mid major conferences teams like Wagner and URI are in. This gets you to the tourney and is considered a successful season.

At UCONN this is a lack of success.
Not being able to beat the top teams in your conference or advance in the tourney should not be rewarded.

DH has done nothing to prove otherwise.
He lacks imagination on offense.
The team doesnt function well close and late.
They dont score after designed plays on TOs.
There is no NBA talent on the roster.

DH continues to disappoint in all areas.
Only 5 more years of mediocrity to look forward too.........so exciting!

When Hurley took the job we were terrible. I do think we have slowly gotten better while also playing much tougher competition than what we were playing in the AAC. That being said, I would have hoped to be much much better than where we are now in year 4.

Its just blah
UCONN under DH is white rice, the plain give away you get with the takeout order.
Where is the impact of this supposed good recruiting class?
What does DH excel at?
What does he hang his hat on?

I think we are a vey good Defensive team under DH and if we could shoot the ball probably be a good offensive team as well. On top of that if we could score and set our defense more often we would probably be a great defensive team instead of just very good. But hard to play as good as D when you are running back after wide open bricks every time.

We are much better. But Uconn is judged by our postseason. One and done isn’t going to cut it.

That being said, we’ve had a great statistical first half and are only up 7 at home. We are playing with fire again.

32 for Marquette is literally putting his hand directly under the ball while he dribbles. No carry, but he goes to the line.

Bad team down the stretch +bad officiating = bad outcome.

We need more Hawkins and less Gaffney. Even when Hawkins starts throwing darts at the backboard like he does some games we need to just leave him out there to keep gaining confidence. Last night was the first game where his defense looked slightly improved but it is still terrible.

Reactions: CaNOLEE
Solid win. Felt like we were going to choke it away again.

Gafney looks good against mid majors and like a liability against teams with a pulse. He’d be wise to drop down comp wise next year.

but we’ll need a replacement transfer, if this is Coles last season.

Gaffney would be the only experienced point guard on the roster next year. In case you guys haven't noticed, Diggins has barely played this year and I don't think he has played a meaningful minute of any Big East game. How can you not bring back any experienced point guards? I am not sold on Gaffney either and I don't think he is a starter, so they will need a transfer PG no matter what next year.

For transfer portal acquisitions you need to look around the college landscape and see which programs are imploding. I am not sure if anyone has followed the ongoing dramas at Louisville but that is a program that is in a downward spiral. They fired Chris Mack and more recently the team captain Malik Williams was suspended, according to the coach, for being an "energy drain." You look at programs like this and target the unhappy players and offer them the chance to be happy and in an actual organized program. There should be a full time employee on staff at UConn whose job is to scout and analyze transfer portal prospects based on talent, system fit, adaptability and attitude.

Last edited:
Khalid, does Cole get a COVID year if he wants? Same for Martin?

the thought of a Gafney and Diggins as our only PGs next year is worrisome. Although AJ will run the show at times.

I don't know if those guys get extra years. I think their eligibility is used up. However I would prefer bringing in a really sharp good ball handling guard. It is possible to upgrade using the transfer market. Look at what Aiken did for Seton Hall, and they haven't been able to win without him. That's exactly the kind of player UConn needs. Aiken is quick, explosive and has a nice handle through traffic. They got him from Harvard in the transfer portal. Aiken's parents are both actually UConn grads but somehow he wasn't on UConn's radar, probably because UConn wanted Cole.

Sanogo is one of the most unexplosive 20 year old bigs I have ever seen.
Needs at least 2 pump fakes and reverse pivots to get off a shot when he has it under the basket

Dude cant jump over the yellow pages
Someone send him a pair of Jump 99's please

This genius DH keeps trying to pound the ball inside like its 1991.
When his daddy was yelling at him and little Bobby.
When he was trying to be little Bobby. The jealousy. Such a better player.........

Keep trying to pound the ball inside to a no talent player like SANOGO SON!!!!!!!!
I mean its 2022.
A 6'9" dude who cant move on the perimeter, do anything on the perimeter, has zero jumping ability or a jump shot!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets go to him 25 times a game.
AWESOME PLAN DH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean honestly, if this guys last name wasnt Hurley would he be coaching UCONN???
Would he be coaching URI or WAGNER???????????

The most unimaginative try hard clown, prouncing up and down the sidelines, sweating through his cheap ass suit.

We lost to a less talented team tonight.
Seen it before this year, the year before, the year before that.............................

Look at me
Look into my eyes

Give the money back son
Admit your a failure
Daddys little faliure

Hurley's plan was to make Slater and Samuels who is a 26% 3 point shooter this year beat us with outside shots and they made just enough to win. If Sanogo doesn't miss 100 bunnies we win that game. I'm not putting this one on Hurley

Reactions: CaNOLEE
This genius DH keeps trying to pound the ball inside like its 1991.
When his daddy was yelling at him and little Bobby.
When he was trying to be little Bobby. The jealousy. Such a better player.........

Keep trying to pound the ball inside to a no talent player like SANOGO SON!!!!!!!!
I mean its 2022.
A 6'9" dude who cant move on the perimeter, do anything on the perimeter, has zero jumping ability or a jump shot!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lets go to him 25 times a game.
AWESOME PLAN DH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I mean honestly, if this guys last name wasnt Hurley would he be coaching UCONN???
Would he be coaching URI or WAGNER???????????

The most unimaginative try hard clown, prouncing up and down the sidelines, sweating through his cheap ass suit.

We lost to a less talented team tonight.
Seen it before this year, the year before, the year before that.............................

Look at me
Look into my eyes

Give the money back son
Admit your a failure
Daddys little faliure
You seem to be experiencing some anger issues here. In fact, one could see that there is a lot of anger here too. Nova's a well coached team and they are dogged on both ends of the floor, especially last night. The coach can't shoot the ball for the players, so maybe cut him some slack?

Still dont get it 24 hours later.
DH goes to a poor mans Michael Sweetney 20 times a game in 2022.

Villanova runs plays to get threes or layups.
DH runs plays to get the most unathletic person on the floor the most touches.

This worked at St Anthonys in Jersey City in the 90s
Not at high level basketball in 2022.

Get with the times DH

It starts off promising, a quality win or 2 against good competition in a pre season tourney.
They are tagged with an inflated and undeserved "ranking". These rankings are just so fugazy.
Then the calendar turns, conference play starts, and the real UCONN reveals itself.

The real UCONN under DH is average at best.
Wins games they should win.
Loses games they should lose.

UCONN under DH is the epitome of average in todays college basketball.
Average is good enough to make the tourney as an at large.
Average has a 50-50 shot to win there 1st round game, and then a ZERO shot to advance beyond.

This is UCONN now and for the next 5 years.
Because UCONN settled and gave DH an extension before it was earned.

DHs recruiting is average. No NBA players on the current roster.
DHs in game is average at best. Replay his sets off TOs in close situations.

UCONN strives for and has accepted average, backing the sadly average Danny Hurley.

To quote Rick James, I wish I had 4 hands............to give DHs average ass 4 thumbs down
wow,what a stupid post. Uconn was in the toilet bowl before DH came. Extremely bad shape. We finished 3rd in an excellent Big East conference and made the tourney 2 years in a row. We are not in the toilet anymore. We do have to move forward in the Ncaa tourney no question about that but please give him so credit!

I think we do have to give Hurley some credit for getting the program back into shape, but the question is now that he has done that, where do we go from here? Perhaps it was unrealistic to think Hurley would come in and have the kind of success Calhoun had in the NCAA tourney. The postseason runs the last 2 years were very disappointing. Hurley's offense was criticized frequently on this board this year. Apart from flaws in the offense, there were other issues. One of the freshman was redshirted and the only one of 4 who played much was Hawkins. UConn got almost nothing this year out of Diggins and Johnson. In the one and done NCAA performance UConn, despite having 2 capable defensive players at the position, got lit up for 37 by Teddy Buckets, who then looked like very ordinary gunner/bad shot taker in a second round loss to Arkansas. This also happened with the shooting guard at Seton Hall earlier this season. Honestly I thought this UConn team would be better than what they were. They were not miserably disappointing but mildly disappointing. With Cole gone and Martin, Polley and Whaley as well, we have to look at what's coming back and what is coming in. There is a real possibility that Jalen Gaffney will be the starting point guard next year. AJ and Sanogo are good returning building blocks but there are huge question marks at every other position. I wonder if the transfer portal will be tapped heavily for help at point guard and at shooting guard. And maybe a power forward as well.

Reactions: blenner
We are no longer a laughing stock and the recruiting has been solid.

But not making the sweet 16 this year is a disappointment.

his biggest offseason recruiting battle is trying to talk Cole and Martin into coming back.

Cole and Martin are not coming back. They will be replaced with transfer portal dudes. You can find experienced and talented replacements in the portal. In fact, Cole and Martin were both transfer portal acquisitions themselves.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT