ADVERTISEMENT

Duke Blog Says UConn Chief Threat in Cooper Flagg Recruiting War

Quick Thumbnail On Flagg:

6'8", 200, remarkable handle

-Rated #2 prospect in class of 2025

-He's been described a "bonafide phenom."

-Flagg played for the United States under-17 basketball team at the 2022 FIBA Under-17 Basketball World Cup

-He was named the 2022 USA Basketball Male Athlete of the Year for his performance in the Under-17 World Cup and is the youngest player to win the award.

- Averaged a triple double in 3 games at 2023 Peach Jam

-Flagg's mother, Kelly, played college basketball at Maine where she was a team captain as a senior

-He has a twin brother, Ace, who was a teammate at Nokomis and transferred to Monteverde.

- won Gatorade Maine Player of the Year as a freshman, the only player ever to do so

- Would be highest ranked recruit in UConn history

Here is the requisite Flagg highlight tape. What I like about this kid is his handle and how he uses it in the open court, and his vision. On the opening highlight when he goes length of the Court for a dunk, note how he is looking for the trailing defenders behind him:

The level of plagiarism with some of these writers is ridiculous. Where were they weeks ago when Flagg was putting up triple doubles? But now all of a sudden they all regurgitate the same spins on old news and speculation on a guessing game that means nothing until signing day of this top 2025 recruit.

Or even then it might not matter (even if he reclasses to 2024), because there is always the G-league, OTE, NIL factors, etc to pull him in different directions.... SMH ! ....All I have to say is best of luck Cooper and props for representing the State of Maine in hoops like no other. (The Hartford Courant writers are the biggest joke, always a day late and a dollar short, no wonder print media is a dying breed, not that they had a chance, LOL!)

Last edited:
Yeah the amount of parroting going between the media is absurd. It's kind of funny how the Courant ran with a "story" that originated in a blog. And I would say it's very possible Flagg never plays college ball, although from the video his body needs a lot of development for the pro level.

While this one would be an insanely huge haul, it sounds like this one is Duke all the way.

Don't be so sure of that. Duke also is recruiting the #1 guy Boozer and both Boozer and Flagg will want to be showcased main man players. They also both want to play the same position, in college. There may be room for both at SF and PF but I think if Boozer commits to Duke, Flagg goes elsewhere. Flagg needs to be a main man, not #2 fiddle. Think Pippen and Jordan- it worked well, but did Pippen like being second fiddle? Why don't you call and ask him. If you don't want to let me know and I will post his recent interview on this subject.

Or even then it might not matter (even if he reclasses to 2024), because there is always the G-league, OTE, NIL factors, etc to pull him in different directions.... SMH !
Husky grad and Fox Sports national radio host Arron Torres...with a new take FWIW.....

Aaron Torres in that "update" just parroted the 247 article I posted a few posts above, while taking a shot at the 247 writer of that article Kevin Flaherty (seems like they don't like each other- these wannabe scoop guys seem highly competitive in wanting to be the first one to report an update that is already out there). I am not hearing anything new here?

Aaron Torres in that "update" just parroted the 247 article I posted a few posts above, while taking a shot at the 247 writer of that article Kevin Flaherty (seems like they don't like each other- these wannabe scoop guys seem highly competitive in wanting to be the first one to report an update that is already out there). I am not hearing anything new here?
No not that.... the other part I posted earlier in this thread ..... That Aaron mentions "a possible reclass to 2024 & strait to the G-league " so if that's the case who cares who wins the recruitment......Flagg could end up being much ado about nothing, there's always that !

PS for all the new jacks.... ie. see Uconn loses the Brandon Jennings sweepstakes to Arizona, but then BJ skips college altogether and goes pro in Europe for a year before being drafted ! Uconn on the other hand. " the loser in the Recruiting War" had to circle back and take this kid named Kemba Walker, who wasn't a bad player !

Want another? Uconn misses out on 3 targets named Selby, Irving and Joseph......but "had to settle" on another kid on a late reclass named Shabazz..... As the late Dave Solomon tried, while thinking he was witty with his "recruiting is not an exact science" ....No shit despite all these experts thinking they know how things will work out......hmmm....Okafor or Gomes who'd you take !

Yeah but Flagg is in a different class as a recruit than some of the guys discussed in the last post. UConn never had a top 5 guy let alone a top 1 or 2 player. Flagg would be the highest rated recruit in UConn history. Whether he attends college or G league is unknown at this point. But it would be a milestone type recruit for UConn. There are factors suggesting he might attend UConn: he is from New England, Boozer might commit to Duke putting him in a second fiddle situation, plus his own comments suggest he wants to go to college at least for one year.

Reclassification to 2024 potentially eliminates the Boozer conflict with a Duke recruitment, but I still think UConn will be in the hunt based on the team they can put around Flagg.

We will need to see how it all shakes out.

Yeah but Flagg is in a different class as a recruit than some of the guys discussed in the last post. UConn never had a top 5 guy let alone a top 1 or 2 player.

We will need to see how it all shakes out.
I hear ya, though Selby, who turned out to be a dud overall.... was the #1 too who Kansas won on... Irving ? What did he end up playing like 10 games for Duke? I'm just pointing out don't believe the hype. But do believe in a coach like Hurley or Calhoun who understand what's more important in bringing in a top player... like in terms of culture and fit.

But even still, with more pro options than ever, be careful what you wish for. Uconn may not have had a Top 5 recruit (Rudy & Charlie V. were IIRC) but Uconn did have 2 NC's that were top 5 NBA picks, in the same year no less, LOL!
(PS...I think Andre Drummond was a #1 in his year until he reclassed 2 weeks before school started )

Last edited:
This is awesome. I don't think UConn has ever had an official visit by a national #1 recruit. It's a milestone. It is BIG TIME!

Cooper Flagg needs to stay in his native New England! I would estimate the drive from Storrs to Portland, Maine is around 2 hours 20 minutes. If Cooper has family living in that area it's an easy drive. I love Maine as a vacation destination! Still think the Connecticut lobster roll hot and buttered is better than the Maine lobster roll, but there is something to be said about Maine clam chowder, which has less dairy in it than New England but more than the Rhode Island clear broth. I love Portland, took vacations there in 2018, 2020 and 2022 and want to go back next year.

Cooper is the best basketball player to be produced by the State of Maine, and could be the best basketball player to be produced by UConn!

Last edited:
This is awesome. I don't think UConn has ever had an official visit by a national #1 recruit. It's a milestone.
Well not exactly true, not only did they get a visit, but alot of visits by a # 1 national recruit. I'd see him a bunch of times at Uconn games both in Storrs and Hartford.....And they also happened to sign that #1, albeit a year early .

Last edited:
I thought Drummond was #2? I remember someone ranked ahead of him. Wasn't it Anthony Davis, who actually is and was a way better player? Didn't he lead UK to an NCAA championship the only year he and Drummond were in college (and was Final 4 MVP), while Drummond led UConn to 20-13 and 1st round blowout loss in NCAA tourney?

Last edited:
I thought Drummond was #2? I remember someone ranked ahead of him. Wasn't it Anthony Davis, who actually is and was a way better player? Didn't he lead UK to an NCAA championship the only year he and Drummond were in college (and was Final 4 MVP), while Drummond led UConn to 20-13 and 1st round blowout loss in NCAA tourney?
Still hating on Andre ? Youre wrong he came to Uconn as a 17 years old, a year early, and only 2 or 3 weeks before the semester. He was never ranked as a 2011 his entire recruiting cycle.....ESP'N just added that rank as a do over at the last second to get some clicks ...while all the other services actually realized this and didn't rank him with the 2011 's because of that fact

You need to just accept the loss on your and the ESP'Ners misinformation.

PS..... RIvals had Austin Rivers #1 over Davis so since your on that site ...your wrong on that too....HA!

Last edited:
Weren't Drummond and Davis both college freshman in 2011-2012? Davis is and was a much better player in college and in the pros. This is objective and undebatable fact which no intelligent basketball fan could deny. It has nothing to do with hating on Drummond. It's true Drummond was 17 years old, but he had the body to play college ball and did. He just wasn't as good as Davis.

My own recollection is that besides ESPN, many other rating services had Davis number 1 and Drummond #2 (it's been too long now to find all of those ratings). I look at those ratings every year and I don't remember Drummond being a consensus #1. Had he stayed in high school he may have been, but he didn't.

Regardless of this debate, there is no debate any longer on Flagg being #1 in the class of 2024. It's true he also reclassified, but because of that and because of his stellar and outstanding play this summer, there isn't a debate any more.

Last edited:
Weren't Drummond and Davis both college freshman in 2011-2012? Davis is and was a much better player in college and in the pros. This is objective and undebatable fact which no intelligent basketball fan could deny. It has nothing to do with hating on Drummond. It's true Drummond was 17 years old, but he had the body to play college ball and did. He just wasn't as good as Davis.

My own recollection is that besides ESPN, many other rating services had Davis number 1 and Drummond #2 (it's been too long now to find all of those ratings). I look at those ratings every year and I don't remember Drummond being a consensus #1. Had he stayed in high school he may have been, but he didn't.

Regardless of this debate, there is no debate any longer on Flagg being #1 in the class of 2024. It's true he also reclassified, but because of that and because of his stellar and outstanding play this summer, there isn't a debate any more.
BLAH, BLAH, BLAH, your wrong take the L and stop trying to move the goal posts. BTW Andre made $150 mil in the NBA despite you being but hurt that a 17 year old didn't lead Uconn to the promised land vs Royce White ( now that's a real loser ) ...FRICKEN front running fans, your all the same !

This is awesome. I don't think UConn has ever had an official visit by a national #1 recruit. It's a milestone.

Cooper Flagg needs to stay in his native New England!
Well as I laid out it's not......and don't be disappointed since Cooper has shown already by moving to FLA for Prep, he might not like NE winters. ( As we all know there are plenty of top NE preps he could of choose from)

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT