ADVERTISEMENT

David Onuorah commits to Uconn

Heard his name before...I don't think he played last year much, I'll check..... but he does have the ability to block shots if I recall, at least at the Ivy league level..

Blades he did have 1.6 bpg which is decent. Could be the starting 5 next year actually. At least has experience.

Blades he did have 1.6 bpg which is decent. Could be the starting 5 next year actually. At least has experience.
Maybe he was reading our thread today about Uconn lacking any bigs (with D-1 minutes )........he just posted this an hour ago.. LOL !

Blades not only does he have 4 years of experience of D-1 ball, but he also has a Cornell degree so we can assume he isn't a dope and will be a fast learn. I think he is a guy we can plug right in for the 5. It's still not clear who will play the 4 but the video of Cobb was somewhat encouraging. Then the two freshmen can be brought along slowly behind them. So it doesn't look great, but at least there are bodies and these guys may be decent rebounders. Between Onuorah and Cobb we should not get crushed on the boards like I feared.

Is he a great recruit.... no, will he help Uconn by having a grown man big to plug into the mix ....absolutely. Plus it's only a one year deal and as a last minute add he's what we were talking about a couple of days ago about finding a Euro guy or someone..... Like I said above though.. keep him off the foul line... he shoots it near the Andre level.

Last edited:
keep him off the foul line... he shoots it near the Andre level.

Low 40s FT shooting is dreadful, but let's not forget that Andre shot 29% FTs in his one season at UConn, which is the worst season of FT shooting by a starting player in basketball history.

One other issue with Onuorah is he is not going to make anyone remember Bill Walton or Stephanie Dolson with his post passing. In his last full season he had 11 assists for the season, to go with 44 TOs. A total black hole, but hopefully he will be taught to grab O-boards and kick it back out. His value will likely be more on the defensive end, hopefully.

Reactions: Shaggydog84
One other issue with Onuorah is he is not going to make anyone remember Bill Walton or Stephanie Dolson with his post passing. In his last full season he had 11 assists for the season, to go with 44 TOs. A total black hole, but hopefully he will be taught to grab O-boards and kick it back out. His value will likely be more on the defensive end, hopefully.
True, from what you can tell from stats..... he's at the Brimah level who had 8 asst to 50 TO's this past year.

Couldn't find any specific highlights ( except the one 7 block game, obviously he's not a Brimah level shotblocker) but he ( #0) is in some of these highlights (dunks & blocks) from 2014-15 along with alot of Shonn Miller :

Last edited:
I like bigs who can dunk and block with some reasonable degree of manly authority. A good 5 who dunks and blocks with some authority, like a Grizzly bear that does a faux charge to warn you to stay away from her cubs, is defining his territory, which is the paint. He owns the paint, just like the Grizzly Bear owns all the turf within striking distance of her cubs.

If Onuorah can at least do that, we can give him a pass on the terrible FT shooting and A/T numbers.

There will be fouls to give, assuming all these guys are healthy. I still don't know what UConn will get out of Diarra or Carlton or Wiley, or Cobb for that matter, but you hope that 2 of the 5 of Onuorah, Cobb, Carlton, Whaley, and Diarra step up and demand minutes, if not a starting berth.

UConn isn't going to be in anyone's preseason top 25 and they might be 4th or 5th best in the AAC. I see SMU, Cincy, UCF as the top 3 and after that Houston and UConn/Memphis. UConn has a lot to prove this year and as we know 4th or 5th place in the AAC isn't going to cut it.

Hallelujah! Big bodies and 5 fouls is all we can ask for at this point.
True... between Cobb, Onuorah and Carlton they now have 15 to give from the 5......any scoring would probably be asking to much ;)...... it also looks like Onuorah is a "very capable" fouler...... he fouls( 99 fouls in 715 mins-@ .138) at a higher rate than both Brimah (105/814 mins- @.129 )and Enoch ( 32/352 mins- @.091)

Last edited:
Reactions: CaNOLEE
Fouling a lot is okay if they are good, hard, honest fouls and not cheapo fouls like Brimah would do and then the offensive player would score through his foul. When you have to foul to stop a basket, stop the basket! That means a hard foul and make sure the shot doesn't go in through your contact. As long as we get our money's worth on the fouls I am okay. Brimah and Enoch gave cheap fouls and didn't get or give the money's worth.

There will be fouls to give, assuming all these guys are healthy. I still don't know what UConn will get out of Diarra or Carlton or Wiley, or Cobb for that matter, but you hope that 2 of the 5 of Onuorah, Cobb, Carlton, Whaley, and Diarra step up and demand minutes, if not a starting berth.

UConn isn't going to be in anyone's preseason top 25 and they might be 4th or 5th best in the AAC. I see SMU, Cincy, UCF as the top 3 and after that Houston and UConn/Memphis. UConn has a lot to prove this year and as we know 4th or 5th place in the AAC isn't going to cut it.

Don't forget about Wichita St. either

Yeah that could mean UConn looking at 5th or 6th in this league which suddenly doesn't look like it totally sucks.

" IF " UConn is looking at 5th or 6th in this league "next year" which suddenly doesn't look like it totally sucks.
the league may not...... but Uconn's coaching and recruiting totally would and it might be time for a new coach.

Last edited:
"Might" is part of using sarcasm... I called this KO trainwreck last November...SMH !

ADVERTISEMENT