ADVERTISEMENT

Daniel Hamilton drafted 56th overall

Wish we he stayed for another year to polish his game and help us make a deep run in the NCAA tournament. I think he would've been first-round pick next year but I wish Daniel nothing but the best. Make UConn proud!

Well this confirms the single worst early entry decision in the history of Uconn basketball, but he did beat Stanley Robinson's position by a few spots (at #59 , only he was a SR & out of other options) ....next time, you hope these kids listen to a HC who might know a thing or 2 about the NBA with 13 years and a world of contacts in the league..You never sell a chance at the 1st round next year for 25K in the D-league now....and since this is a business Danny.... it doesn't matter if you think your ready....only if the guys who write those million dollar 1st round checks do............that said keep working, get stronger and work on that shot...hope you make it to your dreams some day ....:)

Last edited:
He was fortunate to be drafted after the embarrassing combine numbers he put up. It remains to be seen whether he will be a "draft and stash" like DeAndre Daniels was for the Raptors. On balance I have mixed feeling because he could have been a main man player for UConn next year. But if he and his family have true economic hardship, even a worst case scenario, like Euroball for a few years or perhaps for a career like Khalid El Amin, is not a bad thing. I would relish the chance to be a young man with a chance to see Europe and someone paying my way.

I don't look at these draft decisions as "what can he do for Uconn" by any of these kids we follow... just an economic one...economically it's a train wreck since Euro, D-league, Australia or even China will be there next year. He sold his one chance to be a NBA first round millionaire for chump change the way the NCAA runs it's draft system for basketball players...which is another issue that Bilas brought up last night..... Jay said.." Why is it in other sports like Baseball and Hockey a player can be drafted but still come back ..... if they don't sign and they don't like where they get slotted ? "...hmmm ?

Uconn has a hockey player tonight (Tage Thompson ) who will be going to the NHL draft and may be a first round pick, but all indications are is that he will not sign and his drafting team will have him back at Uconn. The Huskies had a 2nd round pick and 3 other drafted guys on their Hockey team last year. George Springer and tons of baseball players get drafted right out of HS....if they don't sign they go right to college and can get re-drafted again in 3 years..It seems like a double standard the NCAA is using on BB players only....and forcing them out even if they make a poor decision..

Last edited:
The NBA should allow the lowly drafted or non drafted kids to return to school. It's nonsensical not to. The NCAA needs to update some of these eligibility rules which are premised upon paternalistic notions about the role of colleges in developing athletes. The truth is that colleges function as a minor leagues in basketball and kids should have that opportunity to develop there if they wish to, even though Europe exists as an alternative, professional minor league.

Despite the shooting problems he had, Hamilton improved his all around game last year and he would have continued to improve next year. While playing a big role and having a chance to lead his team.

The NBA should allow the lowly drafted or non drafted kids to return to school. It's nonsensical not to. The NCAA needs to update some of these eligibility rules which are premised upon paternalistic notions about the role of colleges in developing athletes. The truth is that colleges function as a minor leagues in basketball and kids should have that opportunity to develop there if they wish to, even though Europe exists as an alternative, professional minor league.
I agree and even beyond the college being a minor league aspect.... many of these kids may never make it as a pro. So working towards a degree while they develop in their sport can be equally important.... I read a kid like Tage Thompson, who's father is now in the management side as an AHL coach., is a business and sports management major at Uconn . It's nice to also be developing a 2nd career to have something to fall back on...... if the on ice/pro thing doesn't work ... say as a NHL GM later in life....or just ask a guy like Warde Manual.

Which you cant do in the D-league as one NBA Western Conference scout put it:
“It’s not a great life. You’re on a bus in some God-foresaken, Palooka town. Whatever’s left of your adolescence is done. You’ve got grown men trying to take your head off in some God-forsaken place with 50 people in the stands. You’ve got a few bucks in your pocket, but you’re in Reno, Nevada, eating at a coffee shop by yourself.”

Last edited:
Note that Sports Illustrated's scout has Thompson listed at 195 pounds which is a 10 pound weight gain over what is listed on the UConn official roster page.

Note that Sports Illustrated's scout has Thompson listed at 195 pounds which is a 10 pound weight gain over what is listed on the UConn official roster page.
Yeah both Thompson who started Uconn last year as a 17 year old and Letunov (the 2nd round pick ) who entered as a 6-4/170 FR were physically immature, so that's part of the reason they are still playing at Uconn to develop. They both could be playing in the Canadian Major Junior league which pays you a small salary and expenses (similar to the D-league ) but they decided that school and hockey was the better option since the NCAA allows it, post draft status as many NHL picks do...... Or at least Thompson will also now have the option to continue at Uconn after the NHL draft this year.

Last edited:
I agree with all the points you guys made but the other new rule the NCAA implemented gave him a choice to come back. If he did not hire an agent, he could have gotten a feel from scouts and GM's on where his draft stock would be. If he just did private workouts and met with teams without hiring an agent, he still could have weighed his options and return to UConn. Obviously all of that is out the window now and he will have to prove himself in the summer league.

True regarding D-Ham, that's the first part of the equation with him that we discussed before that's a WTF, especially this year with the new rules.... and as one writer wrote he actually liked school and was in good standing....so who ever was advising this kid ( which obviously wasn't KO) has massive fail written all over them !

Blades,

If Tage Thompson gets picked in the 1st round of the NHL Draft, will he be the first UConn player to be selected in the 1st round?

Blades,

If Tage Thompson gets picked in the 1st round of the NHL Draft, will he be the first UConn player to be selected in the 1st round?

Correct.....they're getting a whole different level of hockey player now that they are in Hockey East....and also now that they are a full scholarship program...they didn't even give out men's hockey schollies because of Title IX before they joined HE.. .......They had 4 players on last years team ( Connecticut Huskies roster at bottom) who were drafted. Letunov as a 2nd was the highest. Thompson and Masonius who both played on the US national team before Uconn could get picked but Masonius would probably be a late round guy if at all.

Last edited:
Daniel Hamilton made the WORST decision I have ever seen from a potential UCONN NBA Draftee
As with all alums I will root for him to succeed in the association.
He has a tough road. Summer League possibly to the D league and who knows from there.

As the best player on a successful team, D HAM would have been primed for a 1st round draft slot and guaranteed $$
The rule is in place to use the draft process, feel it out, and come back if you might go 56.

Someone was a bit over confident
I hope he works his way through the ranks and becomes a viable pro

Gonna be kinda tough to crack a backcourt of Russell Westbrook, Dion Waiters and newly acquired Victor Oladipo.

The Kevin Ollie era has produced zero impact pro's, a staple of old school UCONN and huge recruiting tool.
Its early but time to turn that around..................................

Daniel Hamilton made the WORST decision I have ever seen from a potential UCONN NBA Draftee
He has a tough road. Summer League possibly to the D league and who knows from there.

As the best player on a successful team, D HAM would have been primed for a 1st round draft slot and guaranteed $$
The rule is in place to use the draft process, feel it out, and come back if you might go 56.

Agree with everything you wrote above, see my post #8 ......

Last edited:
And to bad D-Ham thought to much of his own game and didn't listen to his head coach, he could've to added to this list next year:

Is Thompson coming back to UConn? The scouting assessments I read on him in the various mock drafts indicate he is considered very raw, and his defense needs work, but has good instincts and can be coached up into a very good player.

Is Thompson coming back to UConn? The scouting assessments I read on him in the various mock drafts indicate he is considered very raw, and his defense needs work, but has good instincts and can be coached up into a very good player.

Sounds like it:
From The Courant:

"I'd say I'm in pretty good shape right now. I've been training all summer," Thompson said. "I was up at UConn during May and I can feel myself getting stronger, putting on some weight. I think I am ready for this. I'd like to be between 200 and 205 [pounds] before the [college] season starts. Right now I'm at 195.

"I'm in a really good spot here at UConn," Thompson said. "They've given me many opportunities to be successful. I feel comfortable with coaching staff, my teammates and I feel like we're going to have a solid team next year. Coach showed his faith in me by trusting me, even though I was young coming in. There were growing pains he had to work with along the way.

and: " No matter what happens this weekend, Thompson and UConn teammate, defenseman Joseph Masonius, who also is draft-eligible, will be at USA National Junior Evaluation camp from July 30 to Aug."

Masonius did get get picked ......that would give Uconn at least 7 NHL picks on the team next year. They also signed up a Rangers pick, a 6-4 Slovakian goalie who was one of the best in JRs.

Instagram.....Adam Huska-----Mom, I'm going to College......Huska is now Huskie✅

Last edited:

Gonna be kinda tough to crack a backcourt of Russell Westbrook, Dion Waiters and newly acquired Victor Oladipo.

The Kevin Ollie era has produced zero impact pro's, a staple of old school UCONN and huge recruiting tool.
Its early but time to turn that around..................................

Well lets see, KO has been the coach for 4 years and within that 4 years before he even was named HC the best NBA talent left for the pros, the recruiting class he inherited was hampered by a tourney ban and reduced scholarships, and then his first 2 years of recruiting as HC the entire staff had restrictions based on both the APR ban and the Nate Mils fallout, and then there was the fact that he was on an interim basis for a portion of his first year. How many impact pros were you expecting him to produce during that time span? What a ridiculous and stupid comment.

Speaking of NCAA basketball and the NBA drafting system again...... someone agrees with our thoughts above:

Tom Izzo wants changes to NBA draft system he thinks is broken
"I think the system's broke," Izzo said on Friday. "I think we've got to fix it and yet it's not a bad deal for the NBA. I think it's really hurting our college guys."

Izzo said he would like basketball to be able to go to a model like in hockey, where players can get drafted and then return to school and develop.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT