ADVERTISEMENT

Dan Hurley & Co. event @ the Rent

When I saw the title of the video I thought that there was going to be a traditional "Happy Hour" for fans in a bar somewhere to meet Hurley and his staff. However it seems like the video is the Happy Hour. I do not have time to watch it all now but will do so later, thanks for posting this.

I did not realize that Andy Katz was one of 100 employees laid off by ESPN in early 2017. Seemed like he had a lot of years in over there, although I do recall that he got embroiled in a controversy with Joe Boeheim which resulted in Boeheim insulting him at a press conference (called him an idiot or a knucklehead or something like that and then did not answer his questions- not really sure what it was all about, but it seemed like Boeheim may have told him something off the record that got printed).

Last edited:
I was at the event, like you said the first hour was a meet and greet happy hour with food and beverages supplied by Uconn. Then they had the "hosted by Andy" portion...Coaches mingled with the fans and DH was kickin' it with different groups. I just turned around and there he was shaking my hand, had a decent few minute convo about the team and he didn't sugar coat anything....he knows what's up and is ready to get at it. Very comfortable in his own skin not trying to sell anyone anything but almost like " bring it on, this ain't my first big job ". Seemed like the anti-Diaco who was the pollyanna type...He emphasized Jalen will have to be the "X-Factor" ( my term) for a quick turnaround...which we've all seen before with Kemba and Bazz, so you never know...

Last edited:
I wish I knew about the event or else would have attended too. Around 12 years ago I attended a dinner event with Geno Auriemma at Fantasia in North Haven. After the dinner I had a nice several minutes chat with Geno about the team at the time and the rivalry with Duke. This was right around the time that Geno made the famous comment about Duke having as many graduates who wait table as any other school. I got the impression that Geno likes to have fun like that, in response to those who would argue the superiority of Duke over UConn as an academic institution.

ADVERTISEMENT