ADVERTISEMENT

Chief's Briefs - DePaul Big East Edition

ChiefOO

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2021
We came to NYC on a Mission. The squad is focused and getting down to business. This is why Chief predicted UConn would win this tournament. The vibe was unmistakable in a 40 point win.

Defending well and shooting just under 45%, while owning the boards. The team now recognizes who the leader is and when you unselfishly move the ball around good things happen, and if they don’t you go get the offensive rebound and try it all over again. Can you say, clinic?

Bouknight, Cole and Sanogo led our scoring and Whaley/Martin/Bouknight controlled the boards as the squad went in at the half with a 23 point lead. At the half we had 10 assists to just 3 turnovers a 3.4 assist to turnover ratio. Our suffocating defense produced 8 turnovers, which translated to 16 points.

We start out the second half with the up tempo basketball, which Chief loves and have said all along is our best style of play. Aggressive but not fouling defense leading to easy transition baskets.

Having said all that it’s critical that Bouknight be the leader both on and off the court and do all the right things. That includes doing all the common sense things so you won’t cramp up in games. Plenty of fluids (water), consuming nothing to dehydrate himself and good conditioning. Also, stretching and making himself stronger so that he can avoid injury. This is why against all the obvious evidence he should go pro, it would be best for him to instead focus on these things and stay another year. Chief realizes that probably won’t happpen, but it would be in his long term interest for a long career.

The good news, without Bouknight we could extend our lead. The bad news is it will be difficult to do that against Creighton. It’s not a newsflash he is critical to our success but the other guys did learn how to play tough without him.

That toughness led to a 20 rebound advantage with over half of that coming from the offensive glass preventing DePaul from making a comeback. Gaffney and Jackson continue to look good.

As an aside, it was interesting that Springs got playing time and Akok didn’t. Springs had his good moments too. We can make a really deep run if Bouknight does the right things both on and off the court and keeps himself healthy. Creighton will be a very tough out.

Last edited:
Any game with Andrew Hurley scoring it is just all right with me.

Thanks for the break down. Hard to believe this site is free but I get why your posts get thousands of views.

Lots of Husky fans craving knowledge.

Couple thoughts.

The pass from Jackson to the Whaley dunk was next level. So were his two dunks.

RJ Cole looks so confident out there as does Martin, Gaffney and Sanogo.

Gaffney is getting better and better. He jumped up for a defensive rebound and made me notice.

Going into the tourney, having a guy like Josh Carlton available in case of injury or foul trouble is real nice.

On to Creighton.

Any game with Andrew Hurley scoring it is just all right with me.

Thanks for the break down. Hard to believe this site is free but I get why your posts get thousands of views.

Lots of Husky fans craving knowledge.

Couple thoughts.

RJ Cole looks so confident out there as does Martin, Gaffney and Sanogo.

Gaffney is getting better and better. He jumped up for a defensive rebound and made me notice.

Going into the tourney, having a guy like Josh Carlton available in case of injury or foul trouble is real nice.

On to Creighton.
Thank you and all great observations. The Recruiting Dam Break kids who Chief raved about are showing their stuff. Hurley correctly pointed out that Jackson’s injury set the team back in addition to of course Bouknight’s. Also, good to see the senior Josh Carlton have some good moments and Andrew knock down a three.
The two guys with the best shooting percentages were Sanogo 67% (6 for 9) and Jackson 75% (3 for 4). Hurley of course shot 100% (1 for 1). Chief also thought Polley’s stroke look pretty good (2 for 5 from 3 or 40%).

Last edited:

That pass was amazing and honestly I was even more amazed that Whaley expected and received it smoothly. I was expecting it to go through his hands and out of bounds. Some other of AJ's wicked passes haven't been handled and have gone out of bounds.

Regarding AJ's dunks, I can't remember the last game when UConn had so many dunks in one game. Martin had a Statue of Liberty dunk, Sanogo had a transition dunk and Whaley had 2 not to mention that laser alley oop pass to Bouknight and Carlton's dunk. It was close to double digit UConn dunks in this game.

Reactions: ChiefOO and OldBosd
That pass was amazing and honestly I was even more amazed that Whaley expected and received it smoothly. I was expecting it to go through his hands and out of bounds. Some other of AJ's wicked passes haven't been handled and have gone out of bounds.

Regarding AJ's dunks, I can't remember the last game when UConn had so many dunks in one game. Martin had a Statue of Liberty dunk, Sanogo had a transition dunk and Whaley had 2 not to mention that laser alley oop pass to Bouknight and Carlton's dunk. It was close to double digit UConn dunks in this game.
When you play uptempo and run with unselfish athletes, good things happen.

The Recruiting Dam Break kids who Chief raved about are showing their stuff.).

Growing up with a HOF HS Dad, Hurley is good at IDing talent early and you spotted it too.

I remember the doubters. They look kind of silly now.

The Dam Break Kids have a big game tomorrow and look ready.

Maybe is showing off some of his passing ability in practice so Whaley was ready?

Good observation about the dunks.

Reactions: ChiefOO
Having said all that it’s critical that Bouknight be the leader both on and off the court and do all the right things. That includes doing all the common sense things so you won’t cramp up in games. Plenty of fluids (water), consuming nothing to dehydrate himself and good conditioning. Also, stretching and making himself stronger so that he can avoid injury. This is why against all the obvious evidence he should [sic] go pro, it would be best for him to instead focus on these things and stay another year. Chief realizes that probably won’t happpen, but it would be in his long term interest for a long career.

You realize this is beyond stupid even for you right?

Growing up with a HOF HS Dad, Hurley is good at IDing talent early and you spotted it too.

I remember the doubters. They look kind of silly now.

The Dam Break Kids have a big game tomorrow and look ready.
Agree, Hurley is very good at identifying talent. Look at 3 centers he targeted: Cockburn, Wahab and Sanogo. All very talented abd successful.

I know Bouk is as good as gone, but his durability(or lack-thereof) is going to hurt his draft status.

Maybe we should start Nika Muhl in his place tonight?

• Haha
Reactions: permit22
ADVERTISEMENT